Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Chrysler Aspen Towing 23' AS

Has anyone been towing 23' (or larger) AS with the Chrysler Aspen? I have been looking at one and would like to know how the ride is. Since I have a Jeep, the trade-in is easier, and they are more willing to deal. Any info will be appreciated, since we need to buy a new vehicle by this week end. Thanks!
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Charlottetown , Canada
dont do it!!!

We just traded in our beloved Dodge Magnum (problem free for over 80k of towing our 34ft) for a Chrysler Aspen. What a mistake. The stability is poor and the SUV has been in the shop for over 50 days trying to correct a weird vibration noise. It has now been disclosed to us it is a KNOWN issue??????? We are now in arbitration for a full buy back

My advise...... run far far away.

L
WBCCI9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
OMG - were you towing your 34'?
Old 04-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbambi View Post
OMG - were you towing your 34'?
It's a Canadian thing....just read it and let it be....

That aside, I would run, not walk from a Chrysler product.....what you are hearing here is just the tip of the iceberg. You'd be far better off with a GM or Ford IMHO and not necessarily in that order.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Thanks for the input! We are probably going down the Silverado route. We tried to get the pricing for the Avalanche in line with what we wanted to spend, but there are more incentives on the Silverado right now.

We have the Reese 800/10000 dual cam, please advise on what we should do there???? Thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
My wife really wants one of these.. I have been apprehensive about it from the beginning. Who knows what the future will bring for Chrysler and im not sure i want to be tied to another project. I do however think the overall look of the car is appealing but that wont help me when its in the shop for 50 days..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbambi View Post
Thanks for the input! We are probably going down the Silverado route. We tried to get the pricing for the Avalanche in line with what we wanted to spend, but there are more incentives on the Silverado right now.

We have the Reese 800/10000 dual cam, please advise on what we should do there???? Thanks
If you go with the Silverado I would get the smallest bars you can. I believe they are either 600 or 650lb bars. With a 1/2 pickup that is built to haul, you don't need bigger bars.

There must be really good deals on Silverado, cause my neighbor just drove home in one. It's a sharp truck.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898 View Post
We just traded in our beloved Dodge Magnum (problem free for over 80k of towing our 34ft) for a Chrysler Aspen. What a mistake.
L
Yikes what a let down. Can you get the Magnum back?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Good deals and rebates from GM. Pulling all the stops to get buyers before the bottom falls out. With the factory closing for 9 weeks this summer, supply and demand will dictate pricing, and when production does get back on track that could take it clear into Fall before supply is up again.

Dealers are having to do 1000 mile searches to find the inventory with the configurations that customers need, and trucking them. So, hopefully it all works out and we'll be driving
Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
I own an Aspen, NEVER been in the shop other for oil changes. Tow a 1975 31 footer. From Oregon to Denver, to Zion NP (Utah Hwy 12) and back. Not once have I had any problems with Aspen, and yes I would buy another today if I needed a good TV.
Ted
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Northern New England
That's good to know, Ted. I've just been perusing the Chrysler website—and I'm impressed. I had a very good experience with a Grand Cherokee years ago—and its bulletproof Inline 6. But until this thread, I hadn't even heard of the Aspen. I also see that on the Towing Capabilities page, Chrysler is showing an Aspen pulling an Airstream.
Air2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I've towed our 25' Excella 2 with our Durango for 3+ years now and have no gripes. The Hemi has plenty of power for towing, gets above average mileage and mechanically has been a very sound vehicle. I was given an Aspen last year when I had my car in the shop and it seems very similar to the Durango. The only issue I'd be worried about would be if Chrysler would be around for the long haul. If I were in the Market for a tow vehicle right now, I think I'd look at a Ford.

Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
So what did you get? Or have you decided?
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Decided, End Of Saga!

OK, hooked up the trailer, test till I was tired of looking at vehicles and finally made a choice - the Aspen! Yes, I said Aspen, and we are already back up in NC from FL and the trip went fantastic. We are really pleased with the Chrysler, and even though the whole auto industry is in an uproar, we couldn't be more pleased.

I do believe that there are good and bad in each of the car lines, and I did my due diligence on this one. As you all might recall, we had a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and a brand new SE 23' that was rolled on I26 in October of last year. The trailer was totaled and the Jeep came through with flying colors, with little damage, thanks to the trailer breaking away from the Jeep and the chains doing their job.

We purchased a brand new 23' from Colonial and had it trucked down to FL, the last step was to get a new TV. I loved my Jeeps and really wanted to stay in the Chrysler line. The Aspen fit our lifestyle and needs and couldn't be happier with the setup. I am headed to Jackson Center the first week of June for warranty stuff and can't wait to be on my official first "camping" trip with the new setup.

Thanks for all your input both good, bad and ugly. It is refreshing to know that if I need any help, it is a keyboard away. I will keep you all informed of new trips, etc.

I am an artist and use the trailer as my studio in FL and my trip to Jackson Center is going to be coupled with a trip to PA to purchased stained glass for a commission I am doing here in NC. Unfortunately, that will keep me pretty busy until October, so no long trips in the trailer, but maybe a few weekenders.

Nancy
Old 05-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Thanks for the update Nancy. What kind of warranty work does your 23 need? Also congratulations on your Aspen. You problably have the Hemi engine for towing? If you have pictures of your setup, I'd like to see them.
Have a great summer.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Best of luck with the new TV and trailer. I found this picture, is it you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aspen.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	80372  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Same color Aspen, SE 23' FB though, not a sport! But yes, that looks exactly like our Aspen!