Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #221
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: TV opinions

To me, Pappy19's comparison highlights the differences between a passenger car and a vehicle specifically designed for towing. Obviously, a car's suspension and drivetrain can be modified to tow a trailer. However, an appropriately sized, factory-equipped tow vehicle needs no additional modifications.

For example, we ordered our Tundra with the following factory-installed standard and optional equipment:

* Tow package, which includes heavy duty (HD) radiator & transmission oil cooler, HD alternator, HD springs & HD Bilstein shocks, trailer hitch, umbilical connector and associated wiring, and prewired electric brake controller harness.

* Backup camera with monitor, and sonar parking sensors

* Cold kit for snow plow option (a.k.a., HD electrical system), which includes HD battery with heater, and HD starter

* Extended-arm, heated tow mirrors

* TRD dual exhaust

* TRD rear anti-sway (traction) bar

The only options we added after purchase were a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller and a hard tonneau cover, so our TV is "strictly stock".

We purchased a TV that is capable of towing about anything that we could possibly hook up to it. And, besides our 4,500 pound, 19-foot Bambi, it also occasionally tows a 9,500 pound, 27-foot, cabin cruiser.

Our Tundra has performed flawlessly since we bought it new in 2008, and we anticipate it will last us throughout retirement until we are too old to continue driving. About the only reason we would buy another TV would be if we have an accident with the Tundra, or manage to wear it out.

I suppose that we could have purchased a large SUV capable of towing the boat, but one should remember that a TV must be heavy and stable enough to maintain control in emergency situations. While smaller vehicles can PULL large trailers, their performance in accident-avoidance lane changes and emergency stops may be lacking. In these cases, usually the heavier vehicle (TV or trailer) determines what happens; and a heavier TV decreases the chances that your Airstream will have the most influence on emergency maneuvers ("tail wagging the dog").
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:41 AM   #222
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
While smaller vehicles can PULL large trailers, their performance in accident-avoidance lane changes and emergency stops may be lacking. In these cases, usually the heavier vehicle (TV or trailer) determines what happens; and a heavier TV decreases the chances that your Airstream will have the most influence on emergency maneuvers ("tail wagging the dog").
A vehicle with independent suspension, a wide wheel-stance and a low centre of gravity will always outperform a vehicle with the opposite attributes.

Weight + Size ≠ Safety

Most modern sedans and vans have a shorter stopping distance and a higher lane change speed than a truck could ever hope to achieve.

I know this video has been posted before, but it illustrates the capabilities of a sedan. No tail wagging here, at 50mph.

andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:04 AM   #223
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
A vehicle with independent suspension, a wide wheel-stance and a low centre of gravity will always outperform a vehicle with the opposite attributes.

Weight + Size ≠ Safety

Most modern sedans and vans have a shorter stopping distance and a higher lane change speed than a truck could ever hope to achieve.

I know this video has been posted before, but it illustrates the capabilities of a sedan. No tail wagging here, at 50mph.

X2

Both Pappy and Phoenix demonstrating popular mis-conceptions.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:28 AM   #224
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Why do all of these threads turn into an anti truck , pro car diatribe? We all have our opinions. Let us get back to helping the original poster. We can recommend he keep what he has, or buy something else. He is intelligent and can make his own decisions using advice from others. But he does not have to here the same arguments over again. He has a tow vehicle that he likes, let him decide. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #225

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
This thread is temporarily closed.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #226

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

We have cleaned up this thread and we are re-opening things at this point, but folks let's keep things on topic and show some respect for your fellow members. You don't necessarily have to agree with those sharing differing opinions, but we do expect you to do so with some degree of courtesy.

On behalf of the site team.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #227
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I agree, to each their own. Let the tow chips fall where they may. I take the tow truck route, anyone that wants can take the passenger car route, your choice. All the best.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #228
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I started with a 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel (the ML hitch and Hensley straight stinger were both modified at CanAm). All was well towing the new empty trailer home through the mountains from Los Angeles to Phoenix on I-10 at 55 mph both in performance and the CAT scale ticket.

Once the trailer was loaded for camping at 6,960 pounds, the CAT scale ticket showed the ML front axle was overloaded and the ML GVW was exceeded with just me, the wife and an air compressor in the car. The car actually groaned under load with a slight grade.

So we changed our tow vehicle to a 2012 Ram 2500HD diesel truck. The weight considerations are a thing of the past and the tow rating is adequate for our new trailer. Works for us.

The Mercedes is still my daily driver.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #229
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
As long as we're off-topic, we use a 2012 Ram 1500 light duty gas truck, probably no heavier running gear than ML320 CDI. I've never heard it groan under load with any grade.

It also works for us. I got a feeling the o.p.'s rig will work for him if Chrysler gets the engine problem sorted out.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #230
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Load

I know I haven't put many miles on the 300/FC, but I want to point out that my first test was pulling the FC25 'ready to camp', and the scale tickets were within Chrysler's GVW ratings for both axles (I would not have towed a mile if they exceeded the ratings). The rig flew up the hill at the legal speed limit of 55MPH in 3rd gear at 3200RPM. I could easily have hit 65MPH on this steep grade. The 8 speed seems to have a gear for every condition. No groans of any kind.

That sort of power question I don't think is an issue. I think the more legitimate questions are about the overall "robustness" of the parts and systems, and how they will be at 110F. Those so-called "toughness" issues. For me, that's where the questions lie. Especially now that I know about these engine design issues.

I don't know much about the ML320.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #231
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Load

I know I haven't put many miles on the 300/FC, but I want to point out that my first test was pulling the FC25 'ready to camp', and the scale tickets were within Chrysler's GVW ratings for both axles (I would not have towed a mile if they exceeded the ratings). The rig flew up the hill at the legal speed limit of 55MPH in 3rd gear at 3200RPM. I could easily have hit 65MPH on this steep grade. The 8 speed seems to have a gear for every condition. No groans of any kind.

That sort of power question I don't think is an issue. I think the more legitimate questions are about the overall "robustness" of the parts and systems, and how they will be at 110F. Those so-called "toughness" issues. For me, that's where the questions lie. Especially now that I know about these engine design issues.

I don't know much about the ML320.
The "toughness" issue is interesting. When I'm towing, I'm close to but within the axle and vehicle weight ratings so the suspension and tires should be fine. The weight I'm dragging behind me is the issue because it does put additional stress on the engine, the transmission and its associated cooling systems. Using my Scangauge I keep an eye on the (calculated) horsepower being developed at the drive wheels and obviously that figure is higher, by 20 to 30 hp, when I'm towing than when I'm running solo. It's always less than half of figure that Toyota claims the engine can develop and is normally below 100hp at 60mph on reasonably level ground. On that basis, the engine and transmission should be comfortably within tolerances and therefore sufficiently "tough" to do the job.

For me this year I did have a day where I was driving into a strong headwind all day at 60mph and the gauges showed increases in horsepower and engine temperature, running 110hp and at around 200F (air temp outside was a little over 85F), and that was for hour after hour. That's much higher than running solo, of course, but still with the manufacturer's limits. How tough are the engine components? Can I expect them to be OK when running at higher loads but within limits? On that trip, apart from awful gas consumption, the car showed no ill-effects but will the additional strain will result in a shorter life for the engine and transmission? It's anyone's guess, I think.

I think the 300 will perform, and perform well, once you get the current issues resolved; that swanky gearbox alone means you have the edge on our V6 3.5 litre so there's nothing to suggest that you'll have any issues at all.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #232
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Using my Scangauge I keep an eye on the (calculated) horsepower being developed at the drive wheels and obviously that figure is higher, by 20 to 30 hp, when I'm towing than when I'm running solo. It's always less than half of figure that Toyota claims the engine can develop and is normally below 100hp at 60mph on reasonably level ground. On that basis, the engine and transmission should be comfortably within tolerances and therefore sufficiently "tough" to do the job.
FYI, auto manufacturers measure the horsepower at the crankshaft. The power delivery from crankshaft to the wheels is lossy (due to heat, friction, etc.). So, an engine with 250 HP (at the crankshaft) may have a max measured 150 HP at the wheels. I once saw a calculator online, which would give you estimated HP at the wheels given the vehicle drivetrain (2wd, rear or front, 4wd, etc.).
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #233
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
FYI, auto manufacturers measure the horsepower at the crankshaft. The power delivery from crankshaft to the wheels is lossy (due to heat, friction, etc.). So, an engine with 250 HP (at the crankshaft) may have a max measured 150 HP at the wheels. I once saw a calculator online, which would give you estimated HP at the wheels given the vehicle drivetrain (2wd, rear or front, 4wd, etc.).
Yes, I'm aware of that; the Scangauge also gives only a calculated figure so has even more room for error. The point I was making, though, is that the modern V6 3.5 litre engines are more than powerful enough to cope with the biggest Airstreams but the drag created by the trailer's frontal area is the biggest cause for concern on engine and transmission wear.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #234
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I guess I should look into this "scangauge" thing. I see it mentioned everywhere. I'll go do a look see right now. Maybe I need one.

EDIT: Ok, I looked. I am not keen on a two line LCD display at that price. I find LCDs very hard to read in cars.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #235
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
I guess I should look into this "scangauge" thing. I see it mentioned everywhere. I'll go do a look see right now. Maybe I need one.

EDIT: Ok, I looked. I am not keen on a two line LCD display at that price. I find LCDs very hard to read in cars.
mstephens, do you own an Android phone?

This app does the same thing the SG does, on your phone or tablet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

I use it to keep an eye on my engine when towing, and like Steve has observed, hp output is well below stated engine capabilities, even in adverse conditions.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #236
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
For me this year I did have a day where I was driving into a strong headwind all day at 60mph and the gauges showed increases in horsepower and engine temperature, running 110hp and at around 200F (air temp outside was a little over 85F), and that was for hour after hour. That's much higher than running solo, of course, but still with the manufacturer's limits. How tough are the engine components? Can I expect them to be OK when running at higher loads but within limits? On that trip, apart from awful gas consumption, the car showed no ill-effects but will the additional strain will result in a shorter life for the engine and transmission? It's anyone's guess, I think.
Also, don't forget that when towing, we're driving really slow, oftentimes at about half the speed the vehicle is capable of - and is designed to achieve and maintain.

Yes, towing puts stress on an engine - but so does travelling at 180km/h, (110mph) and faster, on a European highway, something routinely done in Germany, Italy and France.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #237
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
mstephens, do you own an Android phone?

This app does the same thing the SG does, on your phone or tablet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

I use it to keep an eye on my engine when towing, and like Steve has observed, hp output is well below stated engine capabilities, even in adverse conditions.
I have an Android Galaxy Tab 7" with OS 2.3, so it looks like that would work. $5 bucks is just latte money, so that's a no brainer. Thanks. Looks like it would be a great addition to our "tow instruments." We always have the Galaxy with us for towing if for nothing else, "Gas Buddy." It also is way easier for finding anything than our GPS, which has a horrible search engine (You must type the EXACT ASCII string value to find something).

EDIT: Whoops! Requires a $100 adapter! I spoke too soon about latte money.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #238
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
One thing to remember, no matter what one tows with, how the vehicle is driven can determine its lifespan. I have a neighbor that has had to replace two rear ends in a halfton truck. He accelerates and brakes with a trailer in tow asif he is not towing. A vehicle near its tow limit driven sanely and intelligently can last longer than a half ton or larger truck that is abused. Common sense is a wonderful thing! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #239
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
One thing to remember, no matter what one tows with, how the vehicle is driven can determine its lifespan. I have a neighbor that has had to replace two rear ends in a halfton truck. He accelerates and brakes with a trailer in tow asif he is not towing. A vehicle near its tow limit driven sanely and intelligently can last longer than a half ton or larger truck that is abused. Common sense is a wonderful thing! Jim
Does your neighbor's truck happen to be a GM?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #240
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Yep, final drives take a tougher beating when subjected to more engine torque, especially in the lower gears. Somewhere at home I have the owner manual for a late eighties Kenworth, and they have several pages about the importance of using no more throttle than necessary to "get the job done", especially in the lower gears, as this has a definite impact on driveline and differential life.
Everything obviously has limits, and the more miles we can operate with plenty of headroom in those limits, the better durability and long term reliability we can expect.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote