Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I've been a mechanic most of my life and never smelled a dog who smelled like coolant; Bad yes, but not like coolant.
================
Squeeze the juice out of your dog's anal glands and get back to me.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
OK, sounds like the 205F is sort of normal for modern cars. I think I understand. So, the key is pressure. I have a guy who services all our cars and I will have him do regular pressure checks. He'll put that in his computer and they'll do it whenever I am there for oil, or other service.

You guys really know yer stuff. I appreciate the concern and comments and help. I just had to run some errands in the car and WOW I sure like it. So, I am hoping the worst is past!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #43
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
OK, this has some interesting sidelines, here Fido here boy!

This is the one I've used for oil analysis:
Fleetguard Oil Sampling Kit-Geno's Garage

$19.95 at Geno's. PDF Report comes back in about a week or so. The thing I like about this system is as you retest they stack your new results on your old results, see trends easily.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
I've been a mechanic most of my life and never smelled a dog who smelled like coolant; Bad yes, but not like coolant.
================
Squeeze the juice out of your dog's anal glands and get back to me.
Hi, I have tried to do this un-successfully several times. [on different dogs] The Poodle Parlor and the Vet have done it for me. So the bad smell is only hear-say because I have only heard/read about it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have tried to do this un-successfully several times. [on different dogs] The Poodle Parlor and the Vet have done it for me. So the bad smell is only hear-say because I have only heard/read about it.
....oh lord...this thread is deteriorating rapidly ! Where is a mod when 'ya need 'em ... ???
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
....oh lord...this thread is deteriorating rapidly ! Where is a mod when 'ya need 'em ... ???
Hi, are you going to get a Mod to show me how to take care of my dog?????????????
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Hi, most modern engines, including Chrysler products, will shut down the engine before any damage is done to it. I've been a mechanic most of my life and never smelled a dog who smelled like coolant; Bad yes, but not like coolant. Some newer cars don't actually have a radiator cap; [on the radiator] They use the cap on the recovery tank for filling and holding pressure. You shouldn't have to check every/any/thing on a new car. A cracked coolant recovery tank is more than likely a factory defect, not something that you did. Also your recovery tank should already have cold and hot level marks on it. [mine does]
Chrysler does not shut down an engine at overheat.That would be a safety issue-stuck in a traffic lane-not good.You would get notified of the overtemp by any number of ways depending on year and model.
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
What year and engine does the 300 have?
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Old 02-19-2014, 11:32 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
What year and engine does the 300 have?
It is a 2012 and has the 3.7L V6 and 8 spd.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:

Our dog leaks this fluid from time to time unexpectedly. It smells like coolant landing on a hot exhaust pipe.

Ok,ok, I promise, that's my last mention of it!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:58 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Chrysler 300 - The Saga Continues

Glad that the bad experience was without injury or damage. No offense, but the lesson here is to pay attention to your nose rather than waiting for the computer to tell you that coolant is leaking and steaming. Your 300, like my new Grand Cherokee and most new vehicles, is heavily sensored and processor controlled, but our eyes, ears and nose have an intuitive advantage in sensing impending problems. If it doesn't smell right, it probably isn't right. I'll christen my new GC Diesel with 2000 mile tow next week, (2200 mi of winter mountain driving thus far) and will be reminded by your experience to look, sniff and listen carefully.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Most, if not all, of the GM products will go into a protection mode at extreme overheat temps, as a final failsafe, in order to protect the engine. I'd be surprised if Chrysler didn't do the same. But I've been surprised before.

This from 2013 Silverado owner manual.

Overheated Engine Protection Operating Mode
If an overheated engine condition exists and the ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED message displays, an overheat protection mode which alternates firing groups of cylinders helps to prevent engine damage. In this mode, a loss in power and engine performance will be noticed. This operating mode allows the vehicle to be driven to a safe place in an emergency. Driving extended km (mi) and/or towing a trailer in the overheat protection mode should be avoided.
Notice: After driving in the overheated engine protection operating mode, to avoid engine damage, allow the engine to cool before attempting any repair. The engine oil will be severely degraded. Repair the cause of coolant loss, change the oil and reset the oil life system. See Engine Oil.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Power de-rate is common industry wide.that does not shut down.I see melted engines still since some will drive till it stops not heeding any warnings.
The 3.6 (3.7 is no longer built) has had many head issues in it's early release date version.They have improved but still seeing too many.Issue usually starts by tripping intermittant miss fire dtc's.The 8spd trans is awesome.
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Power reduced mode is a little different than overheat protection. Reduced power just limits throttle response and road speed. (fly by wire models) Overheat protection takes it a step further by alternating cylinder firing to try and reduce jacket and head temps.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Looking forward to your next run Mark , I'm staying at SAMs family spa let me know if I can help
Old 02-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Of course the exact moment was filled with terror and so I could be wrong here, but I think as I pulled over and just as I got the arse end of the TT off the slow lane and onto the shoulder, the engine shut off. I pressed the start button and ...nothing. I waited a long time before trying it again.

There were at least two alarms going off and two symbols lit on the dash. Now I know someone is thinking, "Jeez, wasn't he paying attention to things?" I WAS! I was glued to the trans temp. Who knew I shoulda been watching the coolant. It went sour so fast it was unbelievable. Kinda like a traffic light...green...yellow...red!

PS. No one commented about the two Airstreamers that went flying by. I guess I can't blame them, but I felt a bit let down.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Looking forward to your next run Mark , I'm staying at SAMs family spa let me know if I can help
Cool! Thank you very much. Should be in a day or so.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
PS. No one commented about the two Airstreamers that went flying by. I guess I can't blame them, but I felt a bit let down.
From what you said, it wasn't a very safe place to stop - you said that you were afraid to open your door for the cars whizzing by at 65 mph and the trailer was barely off the road.

It's tough. I'd certainly want to stop and help if I saw an Airstream broken down along the road (and in fact I did offer help to one that was obviously in distress in a parking lot once), but at the same time it's just not always going to be possible.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #59
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
There were at least two alarms going off and two symbols lit on the dash. Now I know someone is thinking, "Jeez, wasn't he paying attention to things?" I WAS! I was glued to the trans temp. Who knew I shoulda been watching the coolant. It went sour so fast it was unbelievable. Kinda like a traffic light...green...yellow...red!

Under heavy load, the overheating following loss of sufficient coolant is extremely rapid, less than one minute advance warning from the gauges.

Quote:
In the early days of automotive travel, there was a strong tradition of mutual aid. I've commented elsewhere on its sad decline, born of the presumption of 1) universal availability of cell phones, 2) widespread availability of free roadside assistance, and 3) the reliability of present-day cars being so much higher aside from cases of total neglect.

I still stop to help although on the whole I typically make the acquaintance of people with neither means nor decision-making ability when I do.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I think it probably is the cell phone that has changed the idea of stopping to help others. It's pretty fair to assume people can get help on their own. It's kind of an old fashioned thing to stop and offer assistance. Oddly, there was no cell service on that hill.

I don't want to say I was bitter or anything dramatic like that. We are adults and can take care of ourselves. It's was just a funny feeling to see not one but two 'streamers whiz by in the course of 15 minutes when normally we wouldn't see on on a whole trip. I am going to make a point myself to think more about stopping if I see others stuck. I have never come upon a 'streamer in trouble, but I think I will make a point of stopping if I do.