Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #309
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I drove the 150 mile loop today and monitored temps all the way. 205F seems to the center. I saw it hit 209 for a couple brief moments on the daylight side of the trip. It was around 82F ambient.

On the homebound, it was 72F ambient and the temp ran about 197F almost all the way home.

The 212 - 215F only occurred when I lugged it at 5 MPH for 15 minutes around the compound here. So, I think it is fair to say that while driving 205 - 210F is probably the expected norm.

Now, as to changing T'stats. There are lots of posts on various sites saying that unless you can change the computer settings, changing t'stat is a bad idea. My take away was that the designed temp of 205 is very purposeful and ties to other functions. Since I have ZERO automotive repair chops, I am not willing to begin engaging in engine experiments where I have to rely on mechanics whom I don't know.

Keep in mind, there is a fellow who towed a 25 all summer long in Arizona with this car. So, there is one data point.

This week we will be in the high 80s here. If I can tow up the 12 mile grade in that heat, and measure the temp rise, I think I can have a good reference for what is going to happen.

BTW, the alarm is not 230F, it is 265F.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #310
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Try calling SoCal Speed Shop in Pomona as they have tricked out several late model 300's and seem to have a pipeline into Chrysler's tech department. Purchased an oversize radiator from them for my '60 Thunderbird that cured a lot of ills.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #311
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
This week we will be in the high 80s here. If I can tow up the 12 mile grade in that heat, and measure the temp rise, I think I can have a good reference for what is going to happen.

BTW, the alarm is not 230F, it is 265F.
Sounds like things are beginning to even out. Fair winds and following seas to you!

ps: TOTALLY jealous of the temperatures you are getting there.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #312
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Costa Mesa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
The saga continues with a big FAIL on the first hill climb. After getting the WD right, the anti-sway bar mounted, and everything cleaned up on the hitch, we wanted to get out on a grade, in the heat, and make sure the rig will get us over these California mountains. It turned into an afternoon in hell.

We chose the medium grade from I-10 up to Yucca Valley on CA 62. This is maybe a 12 mile climb from 400 feet to about 3400 feet and very average for around here. It was about 85F outside. We hustled up about 9 miles at 55MPH in 3rd gear. I had the trans temp gauge selected and was watching it like a hawk. An easy drive. Suddenly in 30-seconds everything changed. I first smelled a foul smell, then alarms went off on the dash for overheating. Dash lights were warning, buzzers going, I slowed immediately and moved to the very skinny 8 foot shoulder and hoped I could climb to a straight part of the road. No luck. The car died on a hard right uphill turn. I could now see steam and smell coolant. The trailer wheels were against the asphalt berm on the right. I didn't dare open my driver door as cars were whizzing by at 65MPH or more.

I was able to get out the passenger side and raise the hood. A mess of blown coolant under the hood. We waited 30 minutes. Two Airstreams motored by and honked (a little disappointing actually). A big commercial tow rig stopped and he was very helpful. He knew the road and told me a big flat spot 1/4 mile ahead had 30 feet of shoulder. If only I could start the car. We took water from the TT and eventually filled the radiator and moved the rig up to the big flat spot, where it was at least safe. We waited another hour then crippled to the next possible place to turn back and go downhill. That was a mile up. We coasted downhill with the temp reading 225F, got home at 245F and unhitched and put the car in the garage.

Took it to the dealer. Turned out the coolant reservoir was cracked and had been leaking coolant (I had smelled a weird smell a few times before in the weeks before. I didn't know it was coolant hitting the exhaust manifold). Also, the rad cap was bad and only holding 10# when 17# was the spec. All warranty repairs. I tried to insist they thoroughly road test the car and look for any other cooling issues. They said they did.

I now have the car back and frankly, I am quite nervous. I will first try the car alone up that same grade. Then I will try the trailer on a smaller, shorter grade somewhere to see if there is any sign of heating. What worries me is that we went from "green light to China Syndrome" in like 30-seconds with basically no warning, no time to do much.

I dunno.
One thing which I haven't seen mentioned are the enormous differences between newer cars and the kind we could buy prior to EPA regulations in the USA. My father pulled a 34' foot AS all over the country with a Chrysler Imperial. (Not sure of the year, but before EPA and probably in the 60's somewhere. Because of EPA and gas mileage requirements, no-one seems to make towing sedans anymore. Even finding an SUV to meet the requirements can be a challenge. I'm afraid the day of towing much beyond a small utility trailer with the "family car" is history. That's one of the main reasons I use a Class B MH rather than tow a Trailer. Personal preference in a radically different environment than 40 years ago. IMHO, best overall options are among the 1 ton vans, if you prefer to tow.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #313
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilderman View Post
One thing which I haven't seen mentioned are the enormous differences between newer cars and the kind we could buy prior to EPA regulations in the USA. My father pulled a 34' foot AS all over the country with a Chrysler Imperial. (Not sure of the year, but before EPA and probably in the 60's somewhere. Because of EPA and gas mileage requirements, no-one seems to make towing sedans anymore. Even finding an SUV to meet the requirements can be a challenge. I'm afraid the day of towing much beyond a small utility trailer with the "family car" is history. That's one of the main reasons I use a Class B MH rather than tow a Trailer. Personal preference in a radically different environment than 40 years ago. IMHO, best overall options are among the 1 ton vans, if you prefer to tow.
I believe it to be more a result of CAFE requirements than emissions requirements.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #314
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sad - just noticed Mstephens hasn't posted since April 2014. I think he got a Suburban after this experiment. I hope he's been having a blast and just too busy camping to post here. This was a really brave experiment.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #315

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Chrysler 300 - The Saga Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilderman View Post
IMHO, best overall options are among the 1 ton vans, if you prefer to tow.

One caution regarding 1 ton van recommendations. From my experience with 3/4 ton GM vans and one tons, the 3/4 ton vans usually have higher towing capacities when equipped with the same axles and engines. Also note that non factory van conversions have lower tow ratings due to the weight of the conversion components.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #316
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Agree especially if you are talking passenger vans, the seats are heavy.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #317

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Agree especially if you are talking passenger vans, the seats are heavy.

If you buy the factory passenger van, the tow ratings accurately reflect those seats. Granted they are heavy. My 3/4 ton van has a 9,900 lb tow rating.
AIR #56
Old 11-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #318
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
And that extra row of seats takes away from the payload and possibly the tow cap. I agree, the three quarter is the best choice. Had a half ton van and always longed for a three quarter ton diesel. Take the rear sets of seats out and you gave a huge carrying capacity and can still tow almost any AS.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #319

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Take the rear sets of seats out and you gave a huge carrying capacity and can still tow almost any AS.

I ordered mine new, and the 3/4 ton passenger van comes with 2 bucket seats and 3 bench seats. I deleted the furthest back bench seat and used the credit to upgrade the driver and passenger seat to 7 way power seats. At the time mine was built, GM wasn't offering a diesel option. I took the 6 liter gas and 4.10 rear axle option to get the big towing capacity. It's the best tow vehicle for my heavy 30' Classic slide out. It's now 12 years old with 39,000 miles. I pretty much only use it to tow and it will probably be the last tow vehicle I ever will own.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 11-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #320
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Oh yea, a great tv.