Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
You are right, towing did not cause the leak. Who knows what caused the leak in the recovery tank, and that may have even not been an issue if there was still enough coolant in the tank to keep the radiator full when it previously cooled.

However, towing did cause the temps to rise and increase pressure on the system to the point that the weak radiator cap released the pressure causing the loss of coolant, and then the resulting overheating.

The lesson to be learned here is any time you stress a vehicle with additional loads, especially in warmer weather, everything needs to be in good condition, especially the cooling system, and even more especially if that system may be marginal in excess capacity.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
That is bad luck Mstep, sorry to hear..

In my mind it reinforces the idea that checking the condition of our TV's, whatever they are, to be sure they are in top mechanical condition. Our 11 years old car has 230,000klm's on it and I have not changed the water pump or rad hoses yet. I plan to do that in the spring before our next trip.

What I like about your selection of the 300 is the fact that platform has been towing a variety of Airstreams for many 1,000's of miles and many years with great success. That kind of track record is a good thing.

Agree with zigzag. You have a fine combo and wishing you many successful travel years in the future.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
This sounds like every "used" car that I have purchased. There was always some maintenance/repairs to do before it is up to MY LEVEL OF MAINTENANCE!
Anti-freeze on a hot engine does have a distinct smell as do other fluids when they leak. Every once in a while you should pop the hood, crawl underneath and look for things out of the ordinary. Even if your not mechanically inclined or don't want to be you will learn about your vehicle and be more confident in taking it on trips. When you change fluids replace them with OEM or better (synthetic).
I wouldn't fret about it too much. Take some time an make sure all areas are up to spec and it should do the job as it has for others.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
They replaced the coolant, reservoir and cap and road tested the car. They also cleaned up everything under the hood where all the coolant spewed over everything. The mechanic told me the normal running temp is 205F.

I'll be taking it back out Friday for another try. Smaller grade with more exits for the first time out. I think now I'll have to build confidence slowly. I would never want to be stuck like that again. But as the wife says, "that was a nothing grade compared to others we have to climb." She's beginning to give me the stink eye about this Chrysler 300 idea. So, it really has to pass a pretty tough test to be viable. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous now.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Anti-freeze on a hot engine does have a distinct smell
---
Crispy,
You are so right. I really should have investigated this the first time I smelled it. It was odd, and instead of just going to the shop, I "kept thinking about it." My wife smelled it once and blamed it on the dog (you have to own a dog to understand that one).
Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Pay attention to the oil level. Sometimes engines start consuming oil after being overheated.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Low coolant. Bad radiator cap. That will stop any TV on a hill.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
What I like about your selection of the 300 is the fact that platform has been towing a variety of Airstreams for many 1,000's of miles and many years with great success. That kind of track record is a good thing.
Are those, with successful experience on 300, users on Airforum? Maybe we can ask them to chime in.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Anti-freeze on a hot engine does have a distinct smell
---
Crispy,
You are so right. I really should have investigated this the first time I smelled it. It was odd, and instead of just going to the shop, I "kept thinking about it." My wife smelled it once and blamed it on the dog (you have to own a dog to understand that one).

I try to let the dog outside before he starts "smelling funny"
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Pay attention to the oil level. Sometimes engines start consuming oil after being overheated.
I'm gonna have the oil changed today.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
If you've got access to an Android phone, you can install a $5.00 OBDII reader. You'll also need a $10 bluetooth connector to send data to the phone.

I would not be too worried about the capabilities of the vehicle. Our V6 never even got close to overheating and now that your engine has been fixed it should be just fine.

I've said this before, but I've measured hp output at the wheel when towing. I could not get it to more than 148hp, and that was accelerating up a hill from a standing start.

I too would be nervous in your situation, and my wife would have similar opinions, but I am still confident that you're doing all the right things and that this will work out for you.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Mark,
Well that's a bummer for the first pull. One thing I would watch real close for the next several months is the coolant level. How I would do it is this: with the car on a nice level place, maybe in the garage and the engine totally cooled off ( overnight ), pop the rad cap off and make sure it's full. Make a mark with a sharpie or a piece of tape on the side of the res tank so you know exactly where the level is. With that as a starting reference point, watch it like a hawk over the next month or so, checking it the same each time....totally cooled overnight, parked in the same spot. If it is "consuming" antifreeze, even a little....lean on the dealership to find out where it's going.

Worst case scenario is that when you got it hot, a head could have warped and breached the seal at the head gasket. Depending on "where" the breach is of a head gasket, coolant can go into the crankcase ( into the oil, you see the oil turn to something that looks like a chocolate shake ), out the exhaust ( if there is enough, you'll see white steam out the tailpipe ) or just out of the engine as a leak.
Hopefully, ( and likely ) you did not warp a head, but I would not rule it out. Aluminum heads and blocks do not like to be over-heated. Aluminum tweaks and twists around much more quickly than iron.
I'm not trying to scare-monger, nor am I "guessing" that you damaged it. Just trying to say I would watch it, and since it's still in warranty ( ? ) make the dealer fix anything on their nickel, since this went into overheat mode due to faulty factory parts.

That's my $.02 on the deal. Good luck with it.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
That sucks. It doesn't matter what vehicle you're using: If, the first time you go out and tow with it, it breaks down, it's going to be a while before you fully trust it! Especially if your spouse wasn't entirely convinced on the idea in the first place.

It would've broken down on you sooner or later without towing (or you would have had to keep adding coolant), which may be some comfort.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You guys may be overlooking one scenario. There could be a combustion pressure leak into the cooling jacket through a head gasket or cracked head/block. This can cause an over pressurization of the system and crack an overflow tank. In theory, the cap should prevent this, but it does happen. I wonder why a tank of a reasonably new vehicle would be brittle enough to crack of its own accord. Also, though I am not too familiar with Chrysler products, many of the newer systems' overflow (or reservoir more accurately) are under cooling system pressure and not at atmospheric pressure. These are the ones which would be susceptible to combustion pressures.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote