Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I just have to say that any passenger car is just not built to tow an AS, maybe a Bambi. The following are the weak spots on a car: transmission, rear end including a very high ratio, cooling, springs & shocks, anti-sway rear end(none), passenger tires, terrible side mirrors, small brakes for the weight, and finally, it feels like the tail wagging the dog. In addition, I have heard that warranty is declined if one tows even close to the max. Why take the chance and suffer a safety issue? Get a good SUV or truck and quit worrying.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #212
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
I just have to say that any passenger car is just not built to tow an AS, maybe a Bambi. The following are the weak spots on a car: transmission, rear end including a very high ratio, cooling, springs & shocks, anti-sway rear end(none), passenger tires, terrible side mirrors, small brakes for the weight, and finally, it feels like the tail wagging the dog. In addition, I have heard that warranty is declined if one tows even close to the max. Why take the chance and suffer a safety issue? Get a good SUV or truck and quit worrying.
Pappy,
Many people are using this car to tow big Airstreams already with no problems. There are hundreds of thousands of miles logged with this and similar V6 cars and minivans. The verdict is in, it works in spite of the claims and assumptions you are making.

There's no safety problems reported from the many people using it.

And finally, not everyone thinks driving a pick up truck is cool.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #213
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Pappy,

And finally, not everyone thinks driving a pick up truck is cool.

That is why I tow with a Lincoln Continental Town Car.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #214
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I wouldn't put too much trust in Carfax. I signed up to pull a report on a car I was looking to buy. And just for kicks, I pulled a report for my car that I was planning to sell. It did not show all of the service records and had no record of the two body shop visits for damage repairs from accidents.
I've used car fax successfully 5 times so far. The thing to do is reject cars that have too many repair / sales records or high mileage vehicles that have too few records. It's better to have some data than none. And if you see no data in car fax, that says something as well.

Brad
Old 02-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #215
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post

Bill
A very cool setup Bill.

Sent from my DROID4 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Sorry Pappy, you couldn't be more wrong. Sedans and minivans make excellent tow vehicles, when properly set up, and the evidence is all around you.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post

Bill
What year Bill?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #218
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Interesting read.

OP, I wouldn't tow with that but if you know it's working elsewhere. just be patient and get your car squared away and you should be fine.

Once you beat HWY 62 in to Yucca Valley what's next a trip to the Patton museum?

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:57 PM   #219
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
what year bill?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00229.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	504.2 KB
ID:	206491  
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:34 AM   #220
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Interesting read.

OP, I wouldn't tow with that but if you know it's working elsewhere. just be patient and get your car squared away and you should be fine.

Once you beat HWY 62 in to Yucca Valley what's next a trip to the Patton museum?
Death Valley once more for a week or two. But not over the Panamints!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:39 AM   #221
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: TV opinions

To me, Pappy19's comparison highlights the differences between a passenger car and a vehicle specifically designed for towing. Obviously, a car's suspension and drivetrain can be modified to tow a trailer. However, an appropriately sized, factory-equipped tow vehicle needs no additional modifications.

For example, we ordered our Tundra with the following factory-installed standard and optional equipment:

* Tow package, which includes heavy duty (HD) radiator & transmission oil cooler, HD alternator, HD springs & HD Bilstein shocks, trailer hitch, umbilical connector and associated wiring, and prewired electric brake controller harness.

* Backup camera with monitor, and sonar parking sensors

* Cold kit for snow plow option (a.k.a., HD electrical system), which includes HD battery with heater, and HD starter

* Extended-arm, heated tow mirrors

* TRD dual exhaust

* TRD rear anti-sway (traction) bar

The only options we added after purchase were a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller and a hard tonneau cover, so our TV is "strictly stock".

We purchased a TV that is capable of towing about anything that we could possibly hook up to it. And, besides our 4,500 pound, 19-foot Bambi, it also occasionally tows a 9,500 pound, 27-foot, cabin cruiser.

Our Tundra has performed flawlessly since we bought it new in 2008, and we anticipate it will last us throughout retirement until we are too old to continue driving. About the only reason we would buy another TV would be if we have an accident with the Tundra, or manage to wear it out.

I suppose that we could have purchased a large SUV capable of towing the boat, but one should remember that a TV must be heavy and stable enough to maintain control in emergency situations. While smaller vehicles can PULL large trailers, their performance in accident-avoidance lane changes and emergency stops may be lacking. In these cases, usually the heavier vehicle (TV or trailer) determines what happens; and a heavier TV decreases the chances that your Airstream will have the most influence on emergency maneuvers ("tail wagging the dog").
Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 AM   #222
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
While smaller vehicles can PULL large trailers, their performance in accident-avoidance lane changes and emergency stops may be lacking. In these cases, usually the heavier vehicle (TV or trailer) determines what happens; and a heavier TV decreases the chances that your Airstream will have the most influence on emergency maneuvers ("tail wagging the dog").
A vehicle with independent suspension, a wide wheel-stance and a low centre of gravity will always outperform a vehicle with the opposite attributes.

Weight + Size ≠ Safety

Most modern sedans and vans have a shorter stopping distance and a higher lane change speed than a truck could ever hope to achieve.

I know this video has been posted before, but it illustrates the capabilities of a sedan. No tail wagging here, at 50mph.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #223
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
A vehicle with independent suspension, a wide wheel-stance and a low centre of gravity will always outperform a vehicle with the opposite attributes.

Weight + Size ≠ Safety

Most modern sedans and vans have a shorter stopping distance and a higher lane change speed than a truck could ever hope to achieve.

I know this video has been posted before, but it illustrates the capabilities of a sedan. No tail wagging here, at 50mph.

MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:28 AM   #224
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Why do all of these threads turn into an anti truck , pro car diatribe? We all have our opinions. Let us get back to helping the original poster. We can recommend he keep what he has, or buy something else. He is intelligent and can make his own decisions using advice from others. But he does not have to here the same arguments over again. He has a tow vehicle that he likes, let him decide. Jim