Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #155
Rivet Master
Every car I have had which has seriously overheated has had residual problems of the nature that the other posters have illustrated in this thread. Your dealer replaced the puke tank, cleaned up the mess and claims it is fixed. I think he should have done some things to check further rather than just get you out the door.
Since you continue to have problems you know that your car is a long way away from being fixed.
It is up to the dealer, not you, to diagnose and fix the problem, even if it involves expensive repairs. All you can do at this point is be patient and work through the process and not kick yourself for buying the wrong car. Most of us have been there and done that and share your pain.
I would drive the car minimally. You want it fixed before the warranty runs out even though the warranty should apply regardless of mileage since the problem arose and was brought to the dealers attention during the warranty period.
Get the car fixed and then evaluate whether it is a suitable tow vehicle.
You are towing in tough conditions--100 degree + summer heat and steep climbs. You may be asking a boy to do a man's job and need a vehicle with a tow rating well in excess of the weight of your rig.

handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario

Thanks for sharing. I had a similar issue with a Honda inspired Rover engine in a car I had in the UK. It was out of warranty and I wasn't in a position to just sell it on after it was fixed; too much hard-earned cash had been spent on the repair. As it happened, I was glad I didn't because I managed to put another 100,000 miles on it before selling it on. The moral of the tale is that a fixed car can sometimes work for you (just trying to cheer you up!)

Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #157
Chief Chili Cook
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I would really push for them to extended the warranty on the engine and transmission after this. The numbers in that article don't don't add up either. 1300 affected, but up to 500 new issues a week. I'm a Jeep guy and I know a lot of them got burned and went without brand new vehicles for weeks.

Nissan had some problems with some CV transmissions. They recently sent us a notice that the transmission warranty in our Murano would be doubled from 5 year - 60,000 miles to 10 years - 120,000 miles, even though we have never had a problem with it.

As for damage from engine heat, I would bet it's a non issue. These trans run hotter now anyway with the new ATF to improve gas milage. At the very least, have them change the fluid+filter, no charge! Don't give up on it yet.

845RE / 8R70: ZF 8-Speed Automatic Transmission for Chrysler cars
The NSA -- The only part of the government that listens.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #158
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
Chrysler has "revised" the new replacement cylinder heads SEVERAL times now...and the problem persists, MUCH more common in the vehicles that run hotter (such as the Jeep Wrangler). As a matter of fact, Chrysler's "fix" in part on such hotter-running vehicles involves a thinner viscosity oil as well as reprogramming the computer for the fans to come on sooner. But, it's all just a stop-gap patch fix, prolonging the inevitable on the Pentastar. The latest heads released (just read the nearly 200 page thread on the Wrangler forum linked above) still don't solve the problem. The exhaust valves fail under excessive workload and heat. The Pentastar has an integrated exhaust manifold in the head itself which is thought to cause the failure. But, so far...Chrysler blames poor gas, "driving habits" (whatever that is), and is replacing heads on an hourly basis...for the last TWO YEARS with no end in sight.

Avoid the Pentastar.
I too have seen some things on the 'net ( so we take it for what it's worth....but still... ) that some are blaming the siamesed exhaust ports for concentrating heat in a small enough area to be causing expansion and warpage issues.
And as we all know, leaning hard on the pedal for extended periods ( towing, anyone ? ) raises exhaust gas temp to higher values than simple low load cruise. Ask anyone who ran a big block Chevy motor in a class A motorhome about cracked exhaust manifolds after long uphill pulls.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #159
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I wouldn't sell the car just yet.
But, if in the future it continues to have problems, break down often, or become too expensive to maintain, then get rid of it.
We had a Ford Taurus (2 in fact) that had to have head gaskets.
The first one ended up wrecked.
The second one, after head gasket and other expensive repairs it began to average $300 per month in upkeep and was still not dependable. When the air conditioning quit (the car was black with leather seats) and was going to cost at least $1,200 to fix we sold the car.
Then I bought my Tundra...
Then I bought a SOB travel trailer...
Then I bought an Airstream...
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #160
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Life is good!
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #161
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario

I don't think anything you did is to blame for this situation - I've seen a 300 tow an Airstream with zero problems, I also know several people who tow with a Grand Caravan. None of them have had any issues to report.

I suspect that the car had issues when it was sold to you, issues that came to light perhaps sooner than they would have otherwise during a tow.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #162
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Crysler has bet his farm (Canadian joke) on the Pentastar engine and so far, Wards has agreed with them. The Pentastar did not make Wards 2014 list since the others are catching up. That means even though there were some problems with a relatively few engines, the design of the engine in 2012 was considered among the best in the world. You did not buy the wrong car. You bought an exceptionally well engineered vehicle. You should be able to drive any new car sold in America down the street in any weather and have it function perfectly. If it doesn't, the manufacturer is responsible for making it right, and you are not responsible for diagnosing anything for him. Stuff happens. Let them fix it. Go camping. Take your cell phone. Jim
Jim Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #163
'06 75th Winick Prototype
2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Or, get rid of it and get a reliable vehicle that isn't known for needing heads replaced right out the gate and STOP WORRYING and go out and have fun actually camping rather than watching the temperature gauge every damn second of every trip, waiting for something to break.

It sucks to have your few days of vacation RUINED by a devastating vehicle breakdown...ESPECIALLY if you knew beforehand that such a breakdown was more than likely.

Get rid of the stress, cut your losses, and get a vehicle for which pulling your amount of trailer is not going to put it at increased risk of imminent failure when your ultimate goal is for you and your family to go and have FUN...not to sit in some dealer's service waiting area in a state 1000 miles away when you know you have to be back at work in a few days.

It's just not worth it.
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #164

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
So, I guess with all these comments, we can pretty much sum up. You should:

a: sell it
b: keep it.

Why do you suppose this issue w/ the Pentastar seems more prevalent in jeeps? Maybe their brick-like profile make the motor work harder(?).
I'm on the jeep forum some, myself, and I never heard of this...but that's probably because I'm only looking at TJ stuff.
fwiw, when I picked up my TJ from the PO's house a few months ago and drove it home, it overheated. Granted, it was 70 degrees, and I was driving down the interstate with a snow plow mounted, but its not like it was "hot" out. anyway...different engine entirely...different story for a different thread. But even older jeeps seem to run hot, for some reason.
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #165
Rivet Master
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Does anyone know....If they give me a new engine, will they give me a new 36000 mile warranty?
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #166
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Does anyone know....If they give me a new engine, will they give me a new 36000 mile warranty?
Don't think so. However, once there is a history of a problem such as overheating, they will normally honor the warranty for that problem longer than the normal warranty.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #167
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
I don't have a clue, but I believe that somebody following this thread will have an answer or know how to get one. You could always ask the Service Manager what is Chrysler's policy on extending the warranty in this situation. I would also deal only with the SM, not the service writer.

Personally, I would keep the car. You have done all your homework diligently and determined that this is the TV for you. Figuring that about 1% of these motors have overheating problems, especially if you get a new motor, which I would lobby for, you should not have any more overheating issues. The car and motor should perform just as expected for the other 99% of the owners.

Only you can decide what is best for you.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #168
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON

I have no doubt that you will do the right thing for you.

If you take some time, let your head clear, and drive the car a bit again, the answer will come to you, and you will know it is right.

This is one of those times my old daddy would say, "In a hundred years, we'll all look back on this and laugh."

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote