Old 07-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
These are the power adjusting and power folding mirrors that came "stock" on the Denali HD. The truck is very well equipped for towing. Duramax w/Allison transmission.

There are two LED "docking" lights (see 2nd and 4th photos) built into the mirrors when backing up a trailer.

When the lights are on, running lights wrap around the front and side of the mirror housing.

LED turn indicator lights are both IN the mirrors and in the wrap-around amber lens area of the mirror housing.

When these turn indicators are on, people WILL notice!

Of the two mirrors in each housing, the upper mirror is for distant viewing and the lower mirror is for seeing what is beside and immediately behind you.

You can program the mirrors to tilt down when in reverse, if you want that feature. Otherwise, they stay put.

These mirrors are the schnitzel@!

Power folded in for parking:

In-mirror turning indicator LED in arrow-shape and two LED "docking" lights

Not-extended

Extended for towing

GMC seems to be selling these as fast as they can make them. Running lights are shown "on".

I'm thinking that the Silverado 2500 must also offer these mirrors on some version or other. Chevy and GMC trucks are pretty close to identical twins, though the Denali does kick things up a notch over the top of the line Silverado version. We love them!

Old 07-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Anyone looking at the 2500 chevy/gmc needs to be mindful of a few things

Reluctantly, I agreed to test drive a black, brand new, shiny Denali 2500 HD Duramax this past Friday. There were so many options on the window sticker they had to type them on both sides. You read most the crap from outside the truck, then have to open passenger door so you can read the rest from inside.

Really wish I had not bothered. You ride down the road and it's like being in a locked air tight chamber. Hardly any noise. It's odd, I will say that. To less intellagent country folk in my area, I dare say it might be confusing, scary perhaps. Like Roswell. Elvis's empty grave. Suspension bridges. That marshmallow in a jar stuff. Not sure how many have exploded over campfires. Non-alcoholic beer. Etc.

There may be a powerful engine up front, might be a battery pack, not sure. It looked like a big powerful truck, but I feel like I'm riding around some swanky $200/round golf course in an electric golf cart in Pinehurst on smooth perfect concrete paths. Where's the beer girl?

Hell, I'm cultured by comparison to my redneck lineage (means I can type and travel a lot, otherwise no differences) and I rolled the auto driver door window up and down three times. Yep, salesman looked like I was eating crickets. Saw the glass moving, but no sounds. Almost like I rolled windows up and down after having fired my 50 BMG rifle. It's for black choppers circling the house. No sound with windows. It's just weird any way you cut it.

This is not how trucks are supposed to be. My grandpa had duct tape seats. You just can't buy seats that durable on these new trucks. Nor can you slide in and out as easily on this unusually high quality leather Denali seats. He could fix anything on his old Chevy. Almost like he hoped the damn thing would break down just so he could prove his Shadetree skills off. By comparison this Denali has sensors that monitor sensors. The back up system, surely has two back up systems. I'm sure.

Then the meager 397 HP Duramax. What the hell were they thinking?? Geesh. Just do something, anything, throw a small can of octane booster in during dyno testing, GET IT TO 400!!!!

No way I'm buying this pile of GMC ^]!\>\<\<. It's way too nice for me. Tongue in cheek, surely. This was the nicest truck I've ever seen. Absolutely floored me. I wasn't prepared to be impressed like that. Would never have pictured myself in a Denali anything. Till now.

Dan

Old 07-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #59
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I notice some of the 2500HDs I've seen online don't have tow mirrors. I'll be skipping those. GM has a confusing option line up compared to Ford. Kelvin

I’m looking at the LT and it does have tow mirrors, comes with their tow package. And yes indeed, GM certainly has a option list that IS confusing. What’s irritating (as with all cars), is often times, just to get the one option you want, you have to get a “package” that includes all sorts of useless attachments...
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
These are the power adjusting and power folding mirrors that came "stock" on the Denali HD. The truck is very well equipped for towing. Duramax w/Allison transmission.

There are two LED "docking" lights (see 2nd and 4th photos) built into the mirrors when backing up a trailer.

When the lights are on, running lights wrap around the front and side of the mirror housing.

LED turn indicator lights are both IN the mirrors and in the wrap-around amber lens area of the mirror housing.

When these turn indicators are on, people WILL notice!

Of the two mirrors in each housing, the upper mirror is for distant viewing and the lower mirror is for seeing what is beside and immediately behind you.

You can program the mirrors to tilt down when in reverse, if you want that feature. Otherwise, they stay put.

These mirrors are the schnitzel@!

Power folded in for parking:

In-mirror turning indicator LED in arrow-shape and two LED "docking" lights

Not-extended

Extended for towing

GMC seems to be selling these as fast as they can make them. Running lights are shown "on".

I'm thinking that the Silverado 2500 must also offer these mirrors on some version or other. Chevy and GMC trucks are pretty close to identical twins, though the Denali does kick things up a notch over the top of the line Silverado version. We love them!
I wonder if older Denali have those mirrors say around 2011.

Did the Duramax engine have a significant engine/transmission change in 2011?

I know Ford changed their diesels for 2011 model year. I won't bother to look at pre 2011 Ford diesels.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Our 2013 Denali 3/4 ton diesel does not have those mirrors. Ours have the separate upper and lower parts, and they extend, but but you have to manually extend and retract them. You can adjust them electronically, however, and the mirrors are great for towing. My understanding is that GM did a pretty substantial redesign on creature comfort things with the 2014 model. More connectivity and that type of thing. That said, our truck is mighty comfortable. A smooth and quiet ride. I drove a Yukon (Denali version of the Tahoe) before we had the truck and had to give it up to get something with more payload when we got our 28 ft Classic. I was sorry to see the Yukon go because it was a wonderful, cushy vehicle, but the truck looks pretty much the same inside and comes in a close second. My main complaint about it is that, even with running boards, it is so tall that I have to pull myself in and basically fall out. I am short though.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Anyone looking at the 2500 chevy/gmc needs to be mindful of a few things

Reluctantly, I agreed to test drive a black, brand new, shiny Denali 2500 HD Duramax this past Friday. There were so many options on the window sticker they had to type them on both sides. You read most the crap from outside the truck, then have to open passenger door so you can read the rest from inside.

Really wish I had not bothered. You ride down the road and it's like being in a locked air tight chamber. Hardly any noise. It's odd, I will say that. To less intellagent country folk in my area, I dare say it might be confusing, scary perhaps. Like Roswell. Elvis's empty grave. Suspension bridges. That marshmallow in a jar stuff. Not sure how many have exploded over campfires. Non-alcoholic beer. Etc.

There may be a powerful engine up front, might be a battery pack, not sure. It looked like a big powerful truck, but I feel like I'm riding around some swanky $200/round golf course in an electric golf cart in Pinehurst on smooth perfect concrete paths. Where's the beer girl?

Hell, I'm cultured by comparison to my redneck lineage (means I can type and travel a lot, otherwise no differences) and I rolled the auto driver door window up and down three times. Yep, salesman looked like I was eating crickets. Saw the glass moving, but no sounds. Almost like I rolled windows up and down after having fired my 50 BMG rifle. It's for black choppers circling the house. No sound with windows. It's just weird any way you cut it.

This is not how trucks are supposed to be. My grandpa had duct tape seats. You just can't buy seats that durable on these new trucks. Nor can you slide in and out as easily on this unusually high quality leather Denali seats. He could fix anything on his old Chevy. Almost like he hoped the damn thing would break down just so he could prove his Shadetree skills off. By comparison this Denali has sensors that monitor sensors. The back up system, surely has two back up systems. I'm sure.

Then the meager 397 HP Duramax. What the hell were they thinking?? Geesh. Just do something, anything, throw a small can of octane booster in during dyno testing, GET IT TO 400!!!!

No way I'm buying this pile of GMC ^]!\>\<\<. It's way too nice for me. Tongue in cheek, surely. This was the nicest truck I've ever seen. Absolutely floored me. I wasn't prepared to be impressed like that. Would never have pictured myself in a Denali anything. Till now.

Dan
Dan... unlike you, I have had two Denali vehicles before the Denali HD pickup (both were Yukons). They have spoiled me.

I was like you, though, when I drove the Sierra Denali HD Duramax. So quiet I couldn't believe it was a diesel. Such power I wasn't expecting either. Most definitely the nicest truck I've ever been in. (I've had an F-150 and an F-250 in the past.) There is something about GM full size SUVs and trucks that really "do it" for me!

Old 07-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
When I ordered my 15 Silverado the power folding mirrors weren't available. For Chevy they were a mid model change. I would have ordered them for sure and will when I trade in 2018 MY.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I like that when the towing mirrors are extended and the running lights are on... it gives oncoming traffic a good idea of how wide this vehicle and trailer are.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Dan... unlike you, I have had two Denali vehicles before the Denali HD pickup (both were Yukons). They have spoiled me.

We had a 2004 Escalade for years. Loved it. But the Denali still impressed.

Bad accident on way home from work totalled my ride, about did me in, surgery on back among much other stuff, but that's how we got the 2005 Tahoe I got now. Ambulance (empty rig thank God) pulled out in front of me at 55 mph with no warning or time to brake, Totalled their rig too. Snatched up Tahoe three days later. Had to have something for work and saw it on Autotrader in Ga. great deal with 40k miles. It's our 2nd Tahoe. Great cars. But no Escalade, certainly no Denali.

Dan
Old 07-27-2015, 10:05 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
We had a 2004 Escalade for years. Loved it. But the Denali still impressed.

Bad accident on way home from work totalled my ride, about did me in, surgery on back among much other stuff, but that's how we got the 2005 Tahoe I got now. Ambulance (empty rig thank God) pulled out in front of me at 55 mph with no warning or time to brake, Totalled their rig too. Snatched up Tahoe three days later. Had to have something for work and saw it on Autotrader in Ga. great deal with 40k miles. It's our 2nd Tahoe. Great cars. But no Escalade, certainly no Denali.

Dan
Dan... underneath the luxe goodies, the Chevys, GMCs, and Cadillacs are all nearly triplets! That's what I love about GM full-size products. The Denali HD pickup is sort of a Cadillac truck, as I'm sure you know now.

Glad that you came away from that wreck is reasonably good shape. Good enough to REALLY enjoy life moving forward with a great Airstream and a great tow-vehicle.

We brought our first Airstream home tonight! A 2016 30' Serenity. Stopped by a local RV park (McDowell Mtn. Park) a few minutes from our house, on the way, for a "photo op". Locals would recognize Four Peaks, off to the east. First photo taken of the truck and trailer together. What a sweet and easy town these Airstreams are! They track like they're part of the truck. Big smiles on our faces on the way home from the dealership today.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

Congrats!!

That's the stuff dreams are made of. Can't imagine a finer pairing.

Dan
Old 07-28-2015, 02:10 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Congrats!!

That's the stuff dreams are made of. Can't imagine a finer pairing.

Dan
Thanks Dan, I agree.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Great combo. Have fun and enjoy.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:04 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I have those mirrors on my Sierra 1500. Definitely worth the trouble. FWIW, my test drive of an empty Silerverado 2500 6.0 gas truck left me feeling that it's down on power, compared to the 3/4 ton gas competition from Ford and Ram, which it is. I wasn't excited about it as a tow vehicle. Ultimately, I bought the 1500 6.2 SLT (gas) over a 2500 LT diesel at about the same price. The 2500 did not have tow mirrors and my wife liked the way the 1500 drove. With the max trailer tow package, the 1500 offered enough payload (1960 lbs.) although less than the 2500. The Chevy/GMC 3/4 tons are the most "car-like" of the group in terms of how they drive: not quite as high or heavy as the offerings from Ford or Ram.