Old 02-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #99
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
SS, I gotta tell ya, there are no issues with the new ultra low suflur fuels. They have all the additives the Max needs. You are spending unnecessary $$. Your injector issues were not the result of lack of lubricity, but the result of Bosch delivering injectors of the wrong metal alloy. The injector bodies were too soft, resulting in a crushed fuel return check ball seat and thus, high fuel return rates, and potentially cracked injector bodies. I have seen ZERO low sulfur fuel issues since it's inception. But, HEY, if it makes you feel better....go ahead.
That's the first I've heard of a problem with the metal alloy used by Bosch. I had to replace the injectors on my 2003 GMC at about 50,000 miles (---in 2007, as I recall) and I've often wondered if the new injectors were any different from the old??? I was told by several people that all GM was doing at the time was using "rebuilt" injectors - but others said "no" - they were using new injectors. I have 80,000 plus on the odometer now and, of course, everything is out of warranty. On the other hand, if I'm unlucky and have to replace another set of injectors - at my expense - it still won't faze my love for this truck!!!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
That's the first I've heard of a problem with the metal alloy used by Bosch. I had to replace the injectors on my 2003 GMC at about 50,000 miles (---in 2007, as I recall) and I've often wondered if the new injectors were any different from the old??? I was told by several people that all GM was doing at the time was using "rebuilt" injectors - but others said "no" - they were using new injectors. I have 80,000 plus on the odometer now and, of course, everything is out of warranty. On the other hand, if I'm unlucky and have to replace another set of injectors - at my expense - it still won't faze my love for this truck!!!
They were new. The old injector part numbers were purged from the parts system back in 03 and no rebuilts were used. I don't even think remans for ANY injectors are available from GM....maybe the aftermarket. The bodies of the wrong alloy injectors either demonstrated crushed fuel return check ball seats resulting in high fuel return rates (most common), or cracked bodies, resulting in external leak. This is not news, it's all in the bulletin published in 03 or 04.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
They were new. The old injector part numbers were purged from the parts system back in 03 and no rebuilts were used. I don't even think remans for ANY injectors are available from GM....maybe the aftermarket. The bodies of the wrong alloy injectors either demonstrated crushed fuel return check ball seats resulting in high fuel return rates (most common), or cracked bodies, resulting in external leak. This is not news, it's all in the bulletin published in 03 or 04.
That's good news! Somehow I missed that tidbit on the Diesel Forums. Does this mean that I can now expect a long life from the replaced injectors? I know that maintenance and clean fuel plays a big part but I've read about numerous cases where the injectors have been replaced several times. Perhaps if the first replacement occured prior to 2003 this would be the case???

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
That's good news! Somehow I missed that tidbit on the Diesel Forums. Does this mean that I can now expect a long life from the replaced injectors? I know that maintenance and clean fuel plays a big part but I've read about numerous cases where the injectors have been replaced several times. Perhaps if the first replacement occured prior to 2003 this would be the case???
I'm having trouble remembering the exact time line, but I recall it was well into 2003 calendar year before the issue was root cause analyzed. The last bulletin was issued in 09 to include more VINs up into the 04 model year. The information was not very forthcoming from Bosch. So, I could see multiple injectors replaced on, say an 01 during the first 2 or 3 years of it's life from this cause. At first, before the issue was really understood, only affected injectors were replaced, so that may have caused several trips to the dealer before all 8 were replaced. I would bet, once all injectors were replaced after the 2003 calendar year time frame that a subsequent issue was from some other cause....like fuel quality. Once all the affected VINs were corralled and the policy was established to replace all 8 injectors on the first visit, there have been virtually zero issues related to injector quality. Sporadically, I have seen poor quality fuel issues since then, not just confined to Duramax. It was kind of a boondoggle up to about 2005 before the bulk of owners really got their trucks straightened out.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #103

gilmer , Texas
exhaust pipe

Have any of you put the aftermarket exhaust systems on?I have been told that you should do this to keep turbo temps down and dont do power chips until the larger pipe.Pros/cons?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I installed a "DPF delete" pipe and a tuner set on "economy" mode, and noticed a slight increase in fuel mileage, actually considerable when running empty, but the power seems the same. I doubt I will make up the cost of the mods with fuel savings in the life of the vehicle.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #105
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoung View Post
Have any of you put the aftermarket exhaust systems on?I have been told that you should do this to keep turbo temps down and dont do power chips until the larger pipe.Pros/cons?

We've got the aftermarket 4 1/2" reduced restriction exhaust system. Really great sound (although my wife doesn't care for it). Also added the Bully Dog Chip, and together, these add power and economy. These came with the truck (bought it used), but I'd add them to any future truck.
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #106
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
RE the Bully Dog - I have it too, and enjoy its performance enhancements.

Just be sure to set your chip back to "Standard" before taking your truck to the dealer. If they reset your truck's programming for any reason (and if you have not reset your Bully Dog) then the tuner will be out of synch and not work once you get it home. You'll have to send it back to BullyDog and they'll charge you $100.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Here's a 2011 Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax at the K.C. Auto Show this week, tricked out to the max. No question that this was the best looking truck at the show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	123798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	123799  

Name:	IMG_0116.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	123800  
Old 03-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #108

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I am just starting to shop a new Chevrolet Duramax right now. I am planning on ordering a 2011 or 2012 Chevrolet 3500, 4x4, crew cab, long box, SRW. I will be ordering a Work Truck trim level so that I can get the vinyl bench seat interior with rubber floor covering (no carpet).

The options that I am planning to add are:

Duramax/Allison
4 wheel drive
A/T tires
Snow plow prep package
Heavy duty trailering equipment
Roof marker lamps
Camper mirrors
Protection package
tinted glass
high idle switch
cruise control

I have found that the options offered on the WT models are very limited, so there are some things that I will need to add aftermarket.

Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

Thanx, Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #109
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Denali best looking? Obviously you did't see a King Ranch there...

I too started out looking at the GMC Denali's - only took one minute looking at a King Ranch to figure out which was the better looking of the two vehicles.

Compare the specs - and I had a very easy decision to make - and I'm not bias towards either brand....

After ordering my F-350 and now having it a few weeks with 1,000 miles under her hood - I know I made the right choice!

The good news - choices for all!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #110
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Here's an unflattering view of the big Ford at the same show.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	123821  
Old 03-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #111
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
And the Denali front view.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	123822  
Old 03-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #112
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I am just starting to shop a new Chevrolet Duramax right now. I am planning on ordering a 2011 or 2012 Chevrolet 3500, 4x4, crew cab, long box, SRW. I will be ordering a Work Truck trim level so that I can get the vinyl bench seat interior with rubber floor covering (no carpet).

The options that I am planning to add are:

Duramax/Allison
4 wheel drive
A/T tires
Snow plow prep package
Heavy duty trailering equipment
Roof marker lamps
Camper mirrors
Protection package
tinted glass
high idle switch
cruise control

I have found that the options offered on the WT models are very limited, so there are some things that I will need to add aftermarket.

Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

Thanx, Brian
Brian, you will want the camper "pkg" for the TC (this gives you the 7 pin behind the cab...you will need the bumper plug for the AS).
High idle is a setting in the DIC...not a switch...at least, that was the deal in 06.
Be sure you check the box for the highest rated tires/wheels.

As far as the air bags (other forum)...you can wait on those...you may not need them.Try a few trips loaded up first.

Why do you want the plow pkg? Does that get a heavier front axle?

You may reconsider the roof lamps also...not sayin' it's gonna' happen...but clearance is tight with the TC...if that baby rocks/rolls when you are 4 wheelin'...you may have some smushed roof lamps...you may also find the glare bouncing off the TC cabover to be irritating driving at night.

Does the WT come with ON-STAR? I buy a month worth of air-time when we are heading to remote locals where there is no cell coverage...it's less expensive than sat-phones.

Well...I've spent enough of your $ for now...

To JB; yeah, those Denalis are gorgeous...bling, bling!

Bill

Tags
chev, duramax, gmc