Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
OK - so I'm gonna chime in here...

2500 HD with Duramax 6.6L TD 4x4
12,000 / 5443 with ball hitch and 3.73 axle 16,000

No problems mechanically but only put 110,000 miles on her... She did have a few squeaks and interior trim piece issues but nothing to write home about. Purchased from a friend who was in rough finical times with his company and needed to part with a few trucks...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I wish there was a long term edit function on this software so I could correct the motor on my Duramax to an LB-7 in the 2002 model. I had mistakenly typed LLY....sorry.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
There’s an article about boosting the power output of a Duramax with a Banks “Big Hoss” system in the February ‘11 Trailer Life magazine. The article in an infomercial, since installation and testing were done by the manufacturer rather than disinterested engineers. And the writer didn’t ask General Motors engineers about the conversion, which would surely void any warranty in the known universe. The Banks conversion costs about $3,500, plus installation costs, and might yield another 140 horsepower and another 200 ft-lbs of torque, according to the article. Maybe ranchers towing enormously heavy livestock trailers or fifth-wheelers with 17,000-lb trailers might be interested in boosting a 2500HD Duramax. But this conversion doesn't address the truck’s GCWR, GVWR and maximum tow ratings, or consider braking, suspension and other safety issues. I'd say the Duramax sets an incredibly high standard for pulling power, no booster needed.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Unless someone corrects me I'll assume that LB-7 equipped Duramax trucks from 2001-2004 are the best performers in re FE of 19+ highway, solo, from 55-65 mph. I see that GM has extended warranty coverage on injectors thru 200k which is a good sign for long-term ownership. Other insights appreciated.
Are they still holding to the 7 year time period for the injectors? My 2003 only has around 86,000 miles on the odometer.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Yes, they are holding the time limit....or they did at the dealer in Lubbock TX where I took mine at 186,000 and 7 yrs 10 months from the date the vehicle was originally sold.
They said...you are under miles and out of time by 7 months.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #46
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Just returned from a ski weekend (no towing or hauling); 5 people, ~1k # ski gear in the bed. Night time temps below zero deg F every night, day time temps single digits to 20 deg F. No issue at all starting, I do not use a block heater; I do not use fuel additives (there is winter blend in the pumps…no need to add anything…). Averaged 18 mpg for 807 miles, ~250 mile in 4wd. This also includes a lot of idle time warming up, sitting in traffic (several cars in the ditch, roads were a mess most of the weekend…) and time spent idling at the ski drop off outside the lodge. Of course, idling is equivalent to 0 mpg…so this can really impact your average. This covers every facet of the trip; from initial fill-up until we got back home last night.
I could never approach anything close to this with the many small block gassers we have owned. The efficiency of diesel is hard to beat.
And yes…the bun warmers are fantastic after a day on the slopes!

Hey Time Machine…good to see you around again. And very surprised to see you in a deezul after your 6.0 bad….
So now you have had them all; Furd, Dawge, and General…thanx for doing your part for the US economy!

Bill
Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #47
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Unless someone corrects me I'll assume that LB-7 equipped Duramax trucks from 2001-2004 are the best performers in re FE of 19+ highway, solo, from 55-65 mph. I see that GM has extended warranty coverage on injectors thru 200k which is a good sign for long-term ownership. Other insights appreciated.
I think one could safely argue that the 06 model year (LBZ HP/TQ 360/650);
o the first gen with increased tq/hp,
o the last gen prior to new exhaust regs
o the first gen with 6 spd tranny

is probably the best for performance and efficiency.

Having said that, it looks like the latest gen -2011-is really something; more tq/hp and the efficiency is back after a couple years hiatus due to the Mfrs figuring out the latest emmsions regs…
Bill
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
My first truck was an '03 Chevy, extended cab, 3/4 ton, 4x4, with the 6L gasser. I owned Fords all my life as did everyone else in my family. I really did intend to buy a Ford 3/4 ton truck. We ended up buying the first Chevy in the family for several reasons. In order of importance:
  • The rear bench seat was wider giving more room for the dog.
  • The truck set at least 3 inches lower than the Ford making it easier for my wife to climb in.
  • The Ford was areally rough rider. It was still using leaf springs on the front axle.
  • The Ford offered 5.4L gas engine, and the Chevy more powerful 6L engine. I wanted more power. (Sometimes I wished I had gotten the 8.1L gasser.)

The '03 turned out to be a great choice. It's only problem was the steering column issue, which was finally resolved with a factory fix. I towed two SOB's all over the country and parts of Canada with absolutely zero problems. It just lacked the oomph I wanted climbing mountain passes and pushing headwinds.

The '03 was traded in on an '08 Chevy/Duramax. I never even considered a Ford, especially with the dependability issues they had with their diesels. I just can't say enough about how good this truck is. My only complaint is the cloth they use for the seats is a lint and dog hair trap. I should have chosen leather. The Duramax - Allison tranny combo just seem too look forward to climbing hills, and do it effortlessly. I like the manual mode when descending steep mountain roads, with the push button gear selection. This truck just does everything well and not one single problem in the first 50,000 miles and I hope it continues for the next 200,000.

Jim

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #49
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
quote: "the first gen with 6 spd tranny"

My '04 duramax shifts six times, so I thought it was a six speed also. Do the six-speeders shift seven times, including OD?

At least it's not like my six-geared BMW K75RT, which has an extra neutral between 2nd and third.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post

My '04 duramax shifts six times, so I thought it was a six speed also. Do the six-speeders shift seven times, including OD?

Pat
Don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but may times the torque converter lockup event feels like a shift.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #51
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post

At least it's not like my six-geared BMW K75RT, which has an extra neutral between 2nd and third.

Pat
Alli's were 5 spd untill LBZ 06 generation.
They have been 6 speed since...

B
Old 01-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #52
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
(Thanks for the above, gentlemen).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Nice to be back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]

Hey Time Machine…good to see you around again. And very surprised to see you in a deezul after your 6.0 bad….
So now you have had them all; Furd, Dawge, and General…thanx for doing your part for the US economy!

Bill
Hey Bill,
Thanks for the hat tip, it is good to be back chatting. And yes, I try my best to support American business. I am fortunate to have the chance to try all three domestic trucks. Boy do I love this new GMC, great to be back in a diesel, although I also enjoyed the grunt of the Dodge Power Wagon. Different trucks for different times.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
Purchased a 2009 Chevy in the fall of 2009, and really only use it pulling the AS. Currently have only 11,000 miles on it but have to say that this truck has met and exceeded all my expectations.

Last summer we took a trip from Omaha out to San Diego then up the west coast to Washington, then to Glacier and Yellowstone before heading back home and this truck did a great job. I pulled the AS 5000 miles and averaged 12.8 mpg when towing, normally I travel about 65 to 68 mph pulling the trailer. The total trip was 7,000 miles and I averaged just under 14 mpg for the total trip.

I had a friend who told me not to pull the AS over the Rockies on I-70 west of Denver. He told me to take the south route. However I didn't have the time. I had to leave Denver Saturday AM and be in San Diego by 4 PM on Sunday so I couldn't afford the extra 300 miles of the south route. The Durmax pulled the AS over the mountains without any problems at all. I rolled up the mountains at 55 mph and could have gone faster if I wanted.

I love this truck.

However, like noted in previous posts I wish it had a larger fuel tank. Even if it only had 10 more gallons.
TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Open Road , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
I have never heard of a single malfunction with the Allison and am curious if anyone else has ever heard of a reliable/documented issue with this tranny?
Neighbor at the park we're at now and I were talking yesterday, he has an 03 and I have an 04 Duramax. He said he's had the tranny replaced, blew a gear in the middle of an intersection when he wasn't towing. Said he thinks it was due to not using the tow/haul mode when he was towing before that, and now he uses it all the time.

Dunno if thats common or what, but I read in the manual previously that it should be used when towing heavy but no suggestions on what heavy actually means. He's got something that looks like an upper 20 foot TT, you know one of those box shaped ones.

I have also heard some other people having issues with the control module or valve body but not with the tranny itself.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Chevy/GMC Duramax

Hi:

Great article. We ordered a 2011 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD Duramax SRW in December to replace our 51 K mile 2002 GMC Yukon XL 3/4 ton with 8.1 and 4:10 rear end to pull a 04 30 ft. Classic trailer. The Yukon was great but could not pass a gas station on the rough trips over the Sierra Mountains. Our last trip to Bridgeport for fishing from Sacramento area was 6.7 MPG. Best mileage hauling a load of antique radios to Berkeley was 15 MPG but normal towing up to Seattle or AZ. was never more than 9. Hoping for better mileage with the diesel. Went with one-ton as only a few hundred dollars more and gives 1,200 lbs more payload if we decide a full camper at a later date. Not sure I understand why they make 3/4 ton trucks if the cost difference is so small?

Sold our Yukon to a couple with a 25 ft. Safari in the bay area. They towed to Disneyland and got 12 MPG at 65-68 MPH so they are happy. 130 inch wheelbase a better match to a 25 ft trailer.

Looked around for best price on the new truck and tried a local auto broker we used when I worked at Hewlett-Packard. He gave me a much better price "at dealer invoice" plus $650. But checked out Sierra Motors in Jamestown, CA. They advertise $10,000 off MSRP on a Chevrolet, and I believe it. The discount on GMC is less but they still beat the auto broker by $3,100 including the sales tax differential. I just wanted a Denali with the heated and cooled seats from the Escalade and heated steering wheel. Turns out they sell at "Dealer Cost" plus they make profit on the number of vehicles they sell plus kickbacks. Ended up about $6,000 less than MSRP. Frank Rathburn is my sales guy, been there 16 years.

Heard truck will be built next week so we have the lowest mileage vehicle of everyone here! Should be delivered mid-February. Ordered an ARE shell and AMP Power Steps today. Why are these trucks so high off the ground? The new truck is 26 inches from ground to sill!

Looking forward to better mileage and all the neat features GM has added like Stibilitrack with trailer sway control, hill-start assist, exhaust braking immense HP/torque and better mileage.

Did look at the Ford just to be fair. But the thought of looking at "SUPER DUTY" for the next 10 years plastered on the tail gate plus windshield and the most obnoxious one on the passenger side turned me off. Plus I did not want to be Beta test group for yet another new, unproven engine. I also thought the interior was cheap looking with too many angles and square boxes. Sorry, but the Dodge was a non-starter.
tinearpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinearpaul View Post
Not sure I understand why they make 3/4 ton trucks if the cost difference is so.
Tax and tags in some states once 10,000 GVWR is exceeded skyrocket, some insurance consider commercial (as does some states for scales).

Two of my three states (Maryland and California) are such states as is I believe Mass.

Some companies (such as Ford) allow an option to get a sticker degrading the vehicle to 10,000 lbs GVWR so non commercial folks are not affected by said laws and/or limitations set by GVWR sticker.

Thus I ordered my F-350 with said option - standard F-350 truck but with optioned tag and title of F-250....

That's the gist of it, do a search if you want my full explanation...
Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Looked at Denali GMC 1ton SRW - for me King Ranch was easy choice...
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by webtrippin View Post
Neighbor at the park we're at now and I were talking yesterday, he has an 03 and I have an 04 Duramax. He said he's had the tranny replaced, blew a gear in the middle of an intersection when he wasn't towing. Said he thinks it was due to not using the tow/haul mode when he was towing before that, and now he uses it all the time.

Dunno if thats common or what, but I read in the manual previously that it should be used when towing heavy but no suggestions on what heavy actually means. He's got something that looks like an upper 20 foot TT, you know one of those box shaped ones.

I have also heard some other people having issues with the control module or valve body but not with the tranny itself.
Recommendation is that tow/haul mode be used when Trailer weight is 75% of max trailering weight or more. Doesn't hurt to use it if you are lower that the 75% figure, but it will use slightly more fuel unnecessarily.
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
From the 2011 owners manual. Other years have similar wording.

Pressing this button at the end of the shift lever turns on and off the Tow/Haul Mode.

This indicator light on the instrument panel cluster comes on when the Tow/Haul Mode is on.
Tow/Haul is a feature that assists when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load. See Tow/Haul Mode for more information.
Tow/Haul is designed to be most effective when the vehicle and trailer combined weight is at least 75 percent of the vehicle's Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). See "Weight of the Trailer" under Trailer Towing. Tow/Haul is most useful under the following driving conditions:
• When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load through rolling terrain.
• When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in stop-and-go traffic.
• When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in busy parking lots where improved low speed control of the vehicle is desired.
Operating the vehicle in Tow/Haul when lightly loaded or with no trailer at all will not cause damage. However, there is no benefit to the selection of Tow/Haul when the vehicle is unloaded. Such a selection when unloaded may result in unpleasant engine and transmission driving characteristics and reduced fuel economy. Tow/Haul is recommended only when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chev, duramax, gmc