Old 01-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Well, it doesn't sound like there's too many problems, and certainly doesn't seem to be any reoccurring problems. That's good to know. I plan to drive this truck at a minimum till 150K miles, and maybe more depending on the condition and ecomomics at that time.

I would like to learn more about the steering knock. My truck drives good, but it does seem the steering is not perfect. Can anyone tell me more about this? What exactly is the problem and what is the cure. I do all my own maintenance and repairs if I can.

I have done one "mod" to my truck, and it was the DPF delete pipe, and an economy tune. It has increased my fuel mileage running empty by about 2-3 mpg, but I don't think I'll ever make up the cost in fuel saved. The tuner I have has several higher performance tunes available, but that is not what I was after. My fuel mileage calculated miles driven/fuel used on an almost 15K mile trip this last summer to Alaska and back towing the trailer was 12.4 MPG. I tried running all different speeds, and anything below about 62, the truck didn't stay in 6th gear with the tow/haul mode on, and then it did worse. So, most of my speed where possible, was 65 to 68.

In the fall I took a trip to Virgina to go get our current trailer, and on the way over cruising the interstates at 73 mph on the cruse control and no Airconditioner, I was getting up to 23 mpg, but the average was 20.5.

Not terribly bad, but for a Diesel, nothing to write home about.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
2002 Duramax LLY here. 216,000 miles.
Injectors went at 81K and were replaced free.
Injectors went again at 186K, I was under the 200K extended factory warranty, but was 10 months over the 7 year limit....cost $4500 to replace them. Mechanics at the dealer in Lubbock said use Stanadyne performance additive to increase lubricity of the ULSD for the Bosch injectors. Although fuel refiners say they add lubricity back into the ULSD, it isn't enough in the opinion of the mechanics who see the injector failures. The mechanic said those who use lubricity additive don't have problems...those who don't come in and pay for injector replacements. So, I use Stanadyne and will not stop....4 oz per 15 gallons.
Only other repairs involve a water pump, and the chronic situation with the cooling tube housing at the oil filter where the O-ring failed there a few years ago, and since the O-ring replacement it periodically gets a drip in the winter once it cools completely off. That has been fixed by running the bolts back out, putting sealant on the threads and running them back in....annoying, but no big deal so far.
Brakes were done with new pads and rotors turned at 200K because I had a little vibration in a rotor.
I buy the paper Fram air filters and spray them with PJ7 paper filter oil, and change them every 4000 miles when the oil gets changed with new Rotella.
Fuel filter about every 12,000 miles and the transmission about every 25K.
I get 20-22 solo, and 11-14 towing the 31' Excella depending on speed of 60 to 75 mph.
I also have the GM steering knock in the column. It is annoying, but it is not unsafe. I could have the steering column replaced and fix it, but I haven't been willing to part with the cash.
With the new Duramax listing over $60,000...I plan to drive this one a lot longer.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
We just sold ours (05 king cab, short bed). I loved the power and it was quiet enough..but it ate $1000 bills. With just 95,000 miles it had become a shop queen. Speedometer problems, hub and axle replacements, exhaust problems, then a torque converter...it was a 95 model and looked great and pulled the AS without thinking about it. Mileage was pretty poor driving at 63 with the speed control and the small fuel tank was always an issue too. Oh, yes..the steering wheel rattle that GM refused to acknowledge on mine and 10,000 others..well that just about did it for me.

So, it got sold. I told the new buyer about the issues and he seemed OK with all of it. For us..we will move along and pull with something..anything..other than another GM product.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite View Post
We just sold ours (05 king cab, short bed). I loved the power and it was quiet enough..but it ate $1000 bills. With just 95,000 miles it had become a shop queen. Speedometer problems, hub and axle replacements, exhaust problems, then a torque converter...it was a 95 model and looked great and pulled the AS without thinking about it. Mileage was pretty poor driving at 63 with the speed control and the small fuel tank was always an issue too. Oh, yes..the steering wheel rattle that GM refused to acknowledge on mine and 10,000 others..well that just about did it for me.

So, it got sold. I told the new buyer about the issues and he seemed OK with all of it. For us..we will move along and pull with something..anything..other than another GM product.
If you would of owned my neighbors 05 ford you would of loved your 05 chevy,,, seeing his truck with the cab off and the motor out was a shock!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I'm sure there are trucks out there of every manufacturer with problems. Most of the choices people make when they buy a vehicle are based either on performance capabilities, or asthetics, but the purpose of this thread is to discuss GM Duramax Diesel trucks.

Let's please not let this thread degrade to the "my thruck is better than your truck" or "your truck is not as good as my truck" mentality.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
deauxrite,

I'm a little confused...you first state your truck was an '05 model, and then you state it was a '95 model. Not that it's all that important, but that is 10 years difference, and it would be better if we know which one it was.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
All Good

Steve,

Although I agree to not let this be a "bashing" thread, it is inevitable for some to discuss other trucks, I did on this thread, but only as background. This thread is great for those of us with Duramax powered trucks, the sharing of detailed information is one of benefits of this forum.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Lets see....it seems like we have 28 people, if I counted right, that are mostly happy with their Duramax, and one sold because of the consumption of $1000 bills.

Certainly can't blame you there, deauxrite, I would not like that either. I wonder, however, how much of your problems could have been attributable to your dealer doing the service?

Anyway, I hope we are now back on track here, because I do want to hear more from Duramax owners about their expereinces with these trucks, and I'm certain there are more than 29 of us on here.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
steve-
The "rattle" that most people complain about in the steering is in the shaft from the firewall to the steering gear. With the shaft replaced it goes away. Don't know if this is what you are referring to or not.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Unless someone corrects me I'll assume that LB-7 equipped Duramax trucks from 2001-2004 are the best performers in re FE of 19+ highway, solo, from 55-65 mph. I see that GM has extended warranty coverage on injectors thru 200k which is a good sign for long-term ownership. Other insights appreciated.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
deauxrite,

I'm a little confused...you first state your truck was an '05 model, and then you state it was a '95 model. Not that it's all that important, but that is 10 years difference, and it would be better if we know which one it was.
Sorry for the typo. The truck was a 2005 GMC 2500 model.

I hope that no one thinks that I did not like the truck. When it was pulling and not sitting in the shop it was a great truck. It looked good, rode good and pulled the Airstream like a dream. I just felt like it was not as reliable as it should have been at the age and mileage that it was. When I travel my truck has to be dependable and this truck was not dependable.

I bought that truck new, took excellent care of it and had it serviced or serviced it myself regularly. I have been pulling Airstreams and other SOBs for a long time..this was not my first truck. It was my first less than satisfactory experience with a GMC product after many GMC products.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
steve-
The "rattle" that most people complain about in the steering is in the shaft from the firewall to the steering gear. With the shaft replaced it goes away. Don't know if this is what you are referring to or not.
Bruce, I think you are probably right, as that is about the only thing left that I have not checked.

deauxrite, Thanks for clearing that up, and I don't disagree at all....if a vehicle, especially a tow vehicle is not reliable, I really don't want it either.

Knock on wood, so far I have had no reliability issues. Well, that is as long as I keep Diesel in it.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
OK - so I'm gonna chime in here...

2500 HD with Duramax 6.6L TD 4x4
12,000 / 5443 with ball hitch and 3.73 axle 16,000

No problems mechanically but only put 110,000 miles on her... She did have a few squeaks and interior trim piece issues but nothing to write home about. Purchased from a friend who was in rough finical times with his company and needed to part with a few trucks...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I wish there was a long term edit function on this software so I could correct the motor on my Duramax to an LB-7 in the 2002 model. I had mistakenly typed LLY....sorry.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chev, duramax, gmc