Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #211
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Western slope , Colorado
Originally Posted by GAT
I did not feel comfortable pulling my 31 foot very far with the GMC 1500. Besides the transmission fell out not pulling anything so I had concerns. I saw a new 2500 HD Denali with a Duramax diesel. Didn't even drive it but made the deal mostly for the Allison. In30 seconds fell in love with it. Soon I hope to hook the AS and see how the torque works. Planning on many good miles. As a first time Diesel guy with no knowledge any recommendations on the best oil to run in a diesel. I have always used Casteroil but this is a new game for me. Thanks for information.
Rotella 15W40 since new...changed every 5,000 with a new Mobil1 filter. Just under 210,00 miles.

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Yogi Berra
Streamside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #212
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Rotella T6 5W-40. Engine turns over easier even in hot South Texas.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #213
Owner Spirit of "76"
1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
Thanks for the advice

Seems like Rotella is used a lot especially in big trucks, I think I will. I recently turned(made it to) 62. The reason I purchased the truck, really the Duramax is the America the Beautiful park pass. This summer I hope to hit as many National Parks around the country as I can hold up to. I want something that will keep going as long as I feed it fuel and good preventivative maintenance. Thanks again. I see I have much to learn from the pro's.
A husband is the biggest baby you will have and take the most adult supervision.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Originally Posted by dscluchfc View Post
Bill, I bought the truck at 2 yrs old with 41,700 miles on it.
Obviously, I have already made the decision to not trade, but do the repairs and drive it some more.
Scoggin-Dickey in Lubbock is one of the largest parts distributors for GM in the nation. They are the source of the info on the OEM filter only being 7 microns. I will have to double check exactly what specs are on that filter at the dealer. I know the CAT filter is 2 microns and cost $17.75 each out the door instead of $55.10 for the OEM filter, so I am not unhappy about the secondary system from

I finally got an answer to the filter medium size. A bunch of folks retired and they had to go back through some engineering work orders to find what I needed. About 6 years ago ALL oem (dealer procured) as well as AC DELCO DuraMax diesel fuel filters went from 10 microns to 4 microns. All parts stock inventory was purged at that time.

The dealer info you got (7 microns) is INCORRECT.

If you are buying aftermarket....check size. 4 microns MAX is recommended. Carry a spare.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote

chev, duramax, gmc