Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #141
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Holding out for the 2012 might be a good idea. After taking an MPG beating the last few years when the tough emissions hit, MPG is going in the right direction on all 3 diesels. Not where it was, but they're all putting out even bigger HP/Torq. You'll love the diesel. Now if I could just train my gas buddies to stop taking the one diesel pump when we pull in for fuel when the gas only pumps are open.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #142
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
To answer your question about expected fuel mileage, I really don't have any idea. I have never owned a diesel, so I am new at this. I would have probably stuck with gas for just towing Lucy. I will be toting about 2500# of truck camper and towing a 7400# Airstream. We have decided that we are going to need diesel is we want this rig to be able to go uphill. It will be interesting to see how this will work out fuel mileage-wise.

Maybe some with diesel experience can chime in with what they think on MPG.

Brian
Expect 15-16 loaded up.
22-24 cruising down the highway with no load...
Even loaded up...you will have 500+ mile range.

Bill

Old 03-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #143

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Expect 15-16 loaded up.
22-24 cruising down the highway with no load...
Even loaded up...you will have 500+ mile range.

Bill
I assume the 15/16 is with just the TC. By the way what does your TC weigh-out at ready to go camping? What do you get pulling the AS?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #144
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
I assume the 15/16 is with just the TC. By the way what does your TC weigh-out at ready to go camping? What do you get pulling the AS?

Brian
I am now getting 16 mpg towing the AS fully loaded over 7000#-7500#.
15 mpg hauling the TC fully loaded 2700#-3000#.

I attribute the difference to aerodynamics.

I suspect, with the lower profile of a pup-TC you will be getting about same, regardless of total weight. The diesel will shrug off much of the weight. Can't deny the aerodynamics.
You will find the best way to drive a deezul is much like riding the Harley...roll on the throttle nice and easy..don't stomp on it...you will make better use of the power, and increased efficiency.You don't need to go looking for the torque at the upper end of the rev band. It'll be there...all the time.

There is no doubt that 400hp and 700 lb/ft will throw you back in the seat...but you won't want to drive that way...
With the diesel, you drive by RPM to seek peak power (1800 RPM) and peak efficiency (1800 +/- 100 RPM).It's not like a gasser where you have to rev the hell out of 'em to get the load moving, or keep it moving.
You'll be able to move that load at idle. And you'll likely never experience a down shift on the road. Use the TH mode whenever you load up; makes life easy and gives you the engine braking of the Alli. I use it TC or AS.

Bill
Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Add 4 cents per gallon of fuel for the antigel additive, that could be important in the outback at below Zero. I haven't seen a pump that advertises it as being already in the fuel.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #146

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
I am now getting 16 mpg towing the AS fully loaded over 7000#-7500#.
15 mpg hauling the TC fully loaded 2700#-3000#.

I attribute the difference to aerodynamics.

I suspect, with the lower profile of a pup-TC you will be getting about same, regardless of total weight. The diesel will shrug off much of the weight. Can't deny the aerodynamics.
You will find the best way to drive a deezul is much like riding the Harley...roll on the throttle nice and easy..don't stomp on it...you will make better use of the power, and increased efficiency.You don't need to go looking for the torque at the upper end of the rev band. It'll be there...all the time.

There is no doubt that 400hp and 700 lb/ft will throw you back in the seat...but you won't want to drive that way...
With the diesel, you drive by RPM to seek peak power (1800 RPM) and peak efficiency (1800 +/- 100 RPM).It's not like a gasser where you have to rev the hell out of 'em to get the load moving, or keep it moving.
You'll be able to move that load at idle. And you'll likely never experience a down shift on the road. Use the TH mode whenever you load up; makes life easy and gives you the engine braking of the Alli. I use it TC or AS.

Bill
Thanx for the info, Bill. It sounds like this diesel thing is going to be a gas (no pun intended). I understand the Harley thing. As a young man, I was a motor officer with the Tallahassee Police Department. I spent three years riding a Harley full time. I'm afraid that I was not very light on the bike's throttle in those days. I rode a hand shifter (foot clutch) Harley for all it was worth. I will try to be easier on the Duramax.

Brian
Old 03-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #147
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Thanx for the info, Bill. It sounds like this diesel thing is going to be a gas (no pun intended). I understand the Harley thing. As a young man, I was a motor officer with the Tallahassee Police Department. I spent three years riding a Harley full time. I'm afraid that I was not very light on the bike's throttle in those days. I rode a hand shifter (foot clutch) Harley for all it was worth. I will try to be easier on the Duramax.

Brian
Heel/toe is the only way to ride!
My point is; diesel develops power quite a bit different than a gasser...it's a more relaxed way of driving...you'll see; a light touch on the throttle with your big toe...and your off and moving. No screamin' high RPM assaults on inclines, no downshifting...just relax and let it roll.

As far as the comment above on additives; when in cold climates, there is winter blend in the pump. Common rail injection=no need for additives. We routinely use our truck in ski country...have been as cold as -30 deg F...no issues...starts right up, no different than gas.
This is our first deezul, and I had some of those concerns that you hear thrown around on the web by those who never owned deezul (cold weather, can't find fuel, yada...) I can only say our experience has been very positive, I can't see ever going back to gas...it's that good...and all those base-less commments...well...base-less. May have been true years ago, don't know (this is our first deezul as mentioned), not true any more.

I am excited for you and your new adventure...you will have quite the set-up!

Bill
Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Don't mean to be a prude, but still......

It's spelled Diesel because it was invented by a man named Rudolf Diesel.

Rudolf Diesel was born in Paris in 1858. His parents were Bavarian immigrants. Rudolf Diesel was educated at Munich Polytechnic. After graduation he was employed as a refrigerator engineer. However, he true love lay in engine design. Rudolf Diesel designed many heat engines, including a solar-powered air engine. In 1893, he published a paper describing an engine with combustion within a cylinder, the internal combustion engine. In 1894, he filed for a patent for his new invention, dubbed the diesel engine. Rudolf Diesel was almost killed by his engine when it exploded. However, his engine was the first that proved that fuel could be ignited without a spark. He operated his first successful engine in 1897.
In 1898, Rudolf Diesel was granted patent #608,845 for an "internal combustion engine" the Diesel engine.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #149
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
It's spelled Diesel because it was invented by a man named Rudolf Diesel.

Rudolf Diesel was born in Paris in 1858. His parents were Bavarian immigrants. Rudolf Diesel was educated at Munich Polytechnic. After graduation he was employed as a refrigerator engineer. However, he true love lay in engine design. Rudolf Diesel designed many heat engines, including a solar-powered air engine. In 1893, he published a paper describing an engine with combustion within a cylinder, the internal combustion engine. In 1894, he filed for a patent for his new invention, dubbed the diesel engine. Rudolf Diesel was almost killed by his engine when it exploded. However, his engine was the first that proved that fuel could be ignited without a spark. He operated his first successful engine in 1897.
In 1898, Rudolf Diesel was granted patent #608,845 for an "internal combustion engine" the Diesel engine.
Deezul= play on words

kewl?

and yes, we all know Rudy ran the first DIESEL on p-nut oil!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #150
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Deezul= play on words

kewl?

and yes, we all know Rudy ran the first DIESEL on p-nut oil!
Yes, it's cool, and I didn't doubt that most, if not everyone knew.

It just sort of bothers me because I find it a bit disrespectful. I know what it's like having a difficult (in this country) and unusual last name, and having delt with all the misspelling, and intentional mispronounciations all my life.

I know it may be just me, but I believe we owe a great inventor at least the correct spelling of his name, especially such an easy one.

Additionally, it seems that a lot of people, some more than others, take pride in misspelling lots of words on the net, and think that's cool, or the "in thing", and maybe I am a prude, because I don't think so. I don't profess to be a great speller, or even good in grammar, but I think we should at least try. YMMV.

OK, off the podium.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #151

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
To take the Rudolf Diesel story one step further, he mysteriously disappeared while a passenger aboard the Mail Steamer Dresden in route from Antwerp to England on September 13, 1913. Two weeks later a decomposed body body was found by a freighter in the English Channel. Possessions recovered from the body were later identified by Rudolph Diesel's son as belonging to his father. Whether Rudolph Diesel's death was accidental or possibly murder is unknown to this day. Homicide was never ruled out as Diesel was involved in significant patent disputes at the time of his death.

Brian
Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #152

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
If I can get 15 mpg on the new Duramax, I will be very pleased. That would be a 50 percent increase. That would cover the higher per gallon price, and start eating up the cost of the Diesel option.

Brian
Old 03-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #153
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
If I can get 15 mpg on the new Duramax, I will be very pleased. That would be a 50 percent increase. That would cover the higher per gallon price, and start eating up the cost of the Diesel option.

Brian
Towing and unladed highway driving are where the deezul really has an advantage with economy.
Around town, expect the same as a gasser.
Ours is used for adventures...and not much around town (I bike to the office) so it is usualy loaded up and headed for the open road...much as you will be using your truck.

I suspect you will really like the diesel...and your load will justify it!

Bill
Old 03-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #154

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I am really looking forward to the Diesel experience. I have started pricing the truck. One dealer in Jacksonville would only go 4 percent off of MSRP. Another dealer in the Panhandle told me that I could choose from what they had in stock (no 3500's at all) or wait until they got more stock in. The salesman at this dealership told me that they had a Silverado 1500 in Victory Red in stock and that I should jump on that since it was the right color. I can't believe that people that stupid are allowed out by themselves.

Brian

Tags
chev, duramax, gmc