Old 08-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Wow, the safari looks like a Bambi behind the longbed! I bet power is not an issue at all!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #100

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That's true. The crew cab long bed is 21' 7" long. Lucy is a mere 4' 4" longer than her new tow vehicle.

The new truck pulls Lucy very nicely. We hope this remains the same when we load the truck camper.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #101

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I drove Fred back to Santa Rosa Beach from Jacksonville (320 miles) yesterday without Lucy. I fueled up when leaving Jacksonville, and headed west on I-10. I drove Fred at or about 75 mph. The trip fuel mileage was 18.8 mpg as shown by Fred's computer. Fred's total mileage is now 1600.

Brian
Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #102
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Burlington County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I drove Fred back to Santa Rosa Beach from Jacksonville (320 miles) yesterday without Lucy. I fueled up when leaving Jacksonville, and headed west on I-10. I drove Fred at or about 75 mph. The trip fuel mileage was 18.8 mpg as shown by Fred's computer. Fred's total mileage is now 1600.

Brian

Curious to hear what kind of fuel milage towing/empty...by "hand" calculating. Resetting trip odometer at fill up... then doing the trip...then fill up again. Note gallons took from pump to fill then divide that number into the miles driven by the trip odometer. I have not seen or heard of any manufacture's vehicle computer be able to display accurate mpg.. In fact, I've seen it off as much as 2.5 mpgs or within 1mpg... even when reseting the on board vehicle's trip computer. as compared to the Hand calculated method (the old fashion way) Good luck with your new truck... nice color !
Old 08-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWonder View Post
Curious to hear what kind of fuel milage towing/empty...by "hand" calculating. Resetting trip odometer at fill up... then doing the trip...then fill up again. Note gallons took from pump to fill then divide that number into the miles driven by the trip odometer. I have not seen or heard of any manufacture's vehicle computer be able to display accurate mpg.. In fact, I've seen it off as much as 2.5 mpgs or within 1mpg... even when reseting the on board vehicle's trip computer. as compared to the Hand calculated method (the old fashion way) Good luck with your new truck... nice color !
Guys, I've read these posts many times and remained silent. I believe the opposite. Unless you fill AT THE SAME PUMP each time, hand calculation is inaccurate. The pump shutoffs vary with each pump and the leveleness of the ground from station to station varies. Since the advent of STRICT evaporative emissions, all TV tanks have a substantial air "break" at the top of the tank. This air pocket is as much as 2 gallons or more of volume. When the truck is not level, even by a little this air pocket can substantially vary on a particular fillup.

Conversely, the on board fuel metering system knows PRECISELY how much fuel is metered to the engine. This is the basis for the onboard fuel mileage calculation. This accuracy assumes no rear gear change or tire diameter change. Tire wear over time will change the onboard accuracy a little as the rolling diameter diminishes, but not nearly as much as station variances.

I would definitely trust the onboard system over the hand calculated method. If you reset nothing, over many tankfulls, the 2 numbers will be closer and closer over time.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #104
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I do fill primarily at the same station (though I didn't put a level on the ground..looked pretty level) I know that does not happen on long trips. I fill up to the neck...slow as the pump allows and wait for any air bubbles etc to settle .. this can take an extra few minutes. But I have found the hand calculatons have been fairly consistant.. within a few decimal places off.. when traveling the same route to work over and over through the years.. Having several different vehicles in those years... The hand calculations were very consistant...as compared to the on -board Trip/computers in those vehicles. Time after time.. seemed like the computer would always register MORE Mpg than when I hand calculated. I am not saying my method is right and you or the computer method is wrong... just my experience and observation with my vehicles, friend's and family member's vehicles.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWonder View Post
I do fill primarily at the same station (though I didn't put a level on the ground..looked pretty level) I know that does not happen on long trips. I fill up to the neck...slow as the pump allows and wait for any air bubbles etc to settle .. this can take an extra few minutes. But I have found the hand calculatons have been fairly consistant.. within a few decimal places off.. when traveling the same route to work over and over through the years.. Having several different vehicles in those years... The hand calculations were very consistant...as compared to the on -board Trip/computers in those vehicles. Time after time.. seemed like the computer would always register MORE Mpg than when I hand calculated. I am not saying my method is right and you or the computer method is wrong... just my experience and observation with my vehicles, friend's and family member's vehicles.
You're not getting it. It must be the same PUMP. Nor are you understanding the tank design. This is why I have not previously entered this fray. I maintain firmly that the onboard system is dead accurate providing the engineer wrote the algorythm correctly. If not, it would be exactly consistently wrong each and every time.

Trust the technology. Electronics are consistent, mechanical devices are not (pumps).

I'm done....it's the truth and the fact. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #106
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Austin , Texas
That is true. I hold 3 patents on mechanical fuel flow meters and they are not 100% accurate. Of course in order for the computer to know how much it is burning...... That too mist be measured by.......you guessed it a mechanical or electronic metering device.

The point is who cares... Close enough we are not building missiles. Or maybe we are pretty silver missiles that travel 70+ mph.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have taken several long trailer trips and hand calculated the milage and compared it to the electronic fuel milage display for that period. Simply put, the electronice fuel meter is inaccurate in my truck. It reads 1 to 3 miles higher than the hand calculated EVERY TIME. Sure, the hand caclulated has variatioin, probably more than the electronic, but over 17000 miles taking increments of 300 to 400 miles between fill ups, the average has to be pretty good. And if it is random fluctuation, then it ought to be over the electronic some times and under some times. The electronic is more precise, but it can also be very inaccurate.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ok, this is a conversation which needs to be over a campfire with several cold beverages. We might as well start talking politics, religion, which brand of truck is best, if my dog is better than your dog, or the other unmentionable subject! No winners here, without a lengthy technical training session. Over and out.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Ok, this is a conversation which needs to be over a campfire with several cold beverages. We might as well start talking politics, religion, which brand of truck is best, if my dog is better than your dog, or the other unmentionable subject! No winners here, without a lengthy technical training session. Over and out.
Good points on both sides of the discussion. However using the same pump isn't even all that accurate especially if the fuel is stored above ground - expansion due to temperature. If you want to VERIFY results, start with an empty tank, WEIGH the fuel you put in, drive, then drain the tank and weigh what remains. You can determine the weight of a gallon, you can get EXACT fuel usage per mile. (Of course can you guarantee the ODOMETER is all that accurate?)

The naughty lady just threw another monkey wrench into the soup.

Pour me a cold one! Paula
Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Good points on both sides of the discussion. However using the same pump isn't even all that accurate especially if the fuel is stored above ground - expansion due to temperature. If you want to VERIFY results, start with an empty tank, WEIGH the fuel you put in, drive, then drain the tank and weigh what remains. You can determine the weight of a gallon, you can get EXACT fuel usage per mile. (Of course can you guarantee the ODOMETER is all that accurate?)

The naughty lady just threw another monkey wrench into the soup.

Pour me a cold one! Paula
Oh MY! now I thought I was anal retentive! But you're right.

Yeah, the odometers today are pretty accurate as well. They are pretty much all basically a hall effect switch (like an ABS sensor) which reads notches in a ring on the output shaft of the transmission. Unless a "tooth" is broken or some debris is in a groove, they are pretty consistent. HOWEVER, to your point, the only odometers which are officially "certified" are in Police cars. But civilian cars are pretty close to + or - 1% in the last 20 years of production or so. (again, given nobody has been screwing around with gearing, tires/wheels...etc.)
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #111
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Easy now guys,, was not trying to start any debates..etc. Just wanted to know if the fellow has any hand calculated numbers from his mighty fine new tow vehicle. If not ..thats fine.. sorry,, my bubbles not bursted... I am not trying to be thick headed... Not looking for debate...or send a rocket ship to mars etc.. Thank you
Old 08-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #112

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Based upon my extensive experience (250,000+ miles) with three different 2500 Suburbans, I have come to trust the GM Driver Information Center (DIC, a rather unfortunate acronym). For several years in the past, I did manual mileage computations. I found that these were were usually pretty close to what the vehicle's DIC reported. I finally decided that the multiple variances in the manual system made it less accurate than the DIC which was constant. About two years ago I made the decision to go exclusively with the vehicles' DIC system. I do still manually log each fuel purchase with the date, location, gallons, cost, mileage, and reported mpg.

Brian