Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
"I thought I had read that due to your camper, you were gonna' go with a dually rig for more lateral stability?"

No, we have decided to go with the single rear wheel configuration. The pop-up truck camper will go about 2500# ready to camp, and less when towing Lucy as we will tow without the 60 gallons of fresh water in the TC. The truck camper that we have ordered is only 2" wider that the truck on each side. Some of the places we go put scratches on the sides of the Suburbans, so we are trying to avoid going to a dually.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Well, you will get a bit more maneuverability with an SRW rig. My brother has a pop-up truck bed camper - I've slept in it pretty often - and the low profile definitely gives less wind resistance and a lower center of gravity. For certain, it will go places you coudn't / wouldn't want to, take the Airstream. I think you're onto something.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Well, you will get a bit more maneuverability with an SRW rig. My brother has a pop-up truck bed camper - I've slept in it pretty often - and the low profile definitely gives less wind resistance and a lower center of gravity. For certain, it will go places you coudn't / wouldn't want to, take the Airstream. I think you're onto something.
I sure hope so. We have researched this thing to death for over a year. Now it's time to put our money where our mouth is. We have already committed to and have a deposit on the Outfitter Apex 8 Pop-up Truck Camper. It is due to be completed in the third week of September.

The Dmax 3500 hasn't been ordered yet, but it is all speced out and we are ready to place the order. We have decided to wait until after June 15th, and it will be a 2012. We would like to get the truck by the end of August. That way we can get it broken in to tow Lucy out to Colorado to pick up her new traveling companion (Ethel, the truck camper).

We have decided to order an LT instead of the Work Truck. I really didn't want the manual 4wd selector level on the floor. With the LT, I can get the electronic 4wd selector. I have also found that I can special order the rubber flooring instead of carpet, and get the 60/40 front seat in leather without the console.

I am really looking forward to the Duramax experience, but I have never owned any diesel before.

Brian
Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Georgia
Mpg for my Duramax. I have a 2008 GMC crew cab 4x4. Took a 4900 mile trip out west. Gross weight 15,100 lbs. (truck, trailer and contents). I was not pulling an Airstream, but a Jeep on a flatbed trailer. The first leg was pretty flat, I-10 along the Gulf coast out to Texas. Mpg was 12.42 running 65 mph in 6th gear. When we hit the hill country in west Texas, I shifted down to 5th gear and ran at 63 mph. Kept it in 5th gear and 63 mph for the rest of the trip. Average mpg, for the whole trip, was 11.56 mpg. Interestingly, the best fuel mileage we got was crossing the Rockies on I-70. From Moab, UT to Limon, CO, average mpg was 13.30 mpg. The worst mileage was 9.38 mpg crossing the prairie (Kansas and Oklahoma). In Kansas we encountered strong cross winds. From Salina, KS to Oklahoma City we had a steady 40 - 45 mph head wind, with gusts to 55.

Running empty at 70 mph she averaged 19.29 mpg on a recent 1800 mile trip to Dallas, TX. This average includes about 40 miles of city driving in Dallas.

Brian, I've got a comparison for you. Previous the the GMC, I had a 2003 Chevy Suburban 2500 2wd with a 6.0 like yours, but no quadrasteer. Running empty the Chevy got 14.5 mpg. Pulling my trailer (13,100 lbs gross weight) at about 65 mph she got 10.5.

Now a power comparison. Heading east on I-70 in Colorado,when the Chevy/trailer hit that long climb up to Vail Pass, it's in the slow lane, 4 way flashers on, transmission in 2nd gear and enigne screaming at over 4000 rpm, trying it's best to drag that trailer up the mountain. Two years later, again heading east on I-70, the GMC/trailer start the same climb up to Vail Pass. Duramax, show me what you can do. I shift down to 4th gear to bring the rpms up, slowly roll into the throttle, and away we go. Pulling hard, it didn't take long to reach 75 mph, pulling one ton more weight than the Chevy. I don't think the power of your new truck will disappoint.

Another feature of Tow/Haul Mode is that when engaged, the charging system voltage is increased, to assist in recharging a battery installed in the trailer.

John
Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
D Air Cloud,

Thanks for the real world stats and data about the performance of your Dmax. I am sure it is a big help for Brian to read about other members results to help with his buying decision regarding his new truck. I will probably be looking for a new TV in the next year or so as my trusty old Suburban (now up to 222,000 miles) is getting a bit tired. I have enjoyed the thread about the Dmax. Don't know if I will go the diesel route or not

Tim
Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
FWIW, we have a 2006 Silverado 4X4 short bed crew cab Duramax/Allsion 6 speed. Just did a 13 day/2200 mile round trip from New Jersey, down thru Maryland, part of West Virginia, down I-81 to Tennessee, over to Crossville, Lynchburg, Nashville and back home. Driving at about 63-65 mph on the hiways kept tach at about 1800 rpms. Averaged 14.7 mpg. Best was high 15's, low just under 13 mpg. Hand calcculated at each stop for fuel. Paid on average just under $4; this was mid-April. Used tow/haul as needed otherwise left it in drive. Tow/Haul great coming off an exit and thru towns and traffic as it really helps to slow you down without standing on the brakes all the time. This is pulling our 23' 2009 Flying Cloud at about 6000#. The Silverado is my first experience with the diesel and it was awesome. Plenty of power, never worried about having enough to climb, or with tow/haul, descend safely what ever came our way. Yeah, the ride is a little stiffer than my former TV '07 F-150 but, for me, well worth the trade off. It's all about confidence for me. Less stress is good. It's tempting to put your foot in it but the torque curve is so flat and strong in that 1800 rpm range, you can granny along and it just keeps on chugging. Plenty of power to merge and pass without effort when needed. Gas/diesel is one of those clasic debates but I am totally pleased with the Duramax. Specifically chose the Duramax/Allison for a bunch of reasons including reliability vs. same year Ford. Six speed Allison is a superior trans IMHO. LT package gives you all the creature comforts and more. I guess you can tell I'm a big fan. I average about 18 mpg when not towing. Currently has about 72,000 miles on the odometer.
WBCCI #1512
2014 25FB Flying Cloud
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison
Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
High Idle Switch

In my preparations to order a new Duramax, I have come across an option that I 't really understand. It is the High Idle Switch (UF3) and the MSRP cost is $200.

I have not been able to find much information about this option, other than it is for use in cold weather conditions. We do camp in the colder weather, and are wondering if this option is something that we want to have. For the time being, we are going to get it even though we're not exactly sure what it does.

Brian
Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
In my preparations to order a new Duramax, I have come across an option that I 't really understand. It is the High Idle Switch (UF3) and the MSRP cost is $200.

I have not been able to find much information about this option, other than it is for use in cold weather conditions. We do camp in the colder weather, and are wondering if this option is something that we want to have. For the time being, we are going to get it even though we're not exactly sure what it does.

Brian
It is for PTO use. (some other odd custom commercial/fleet uses too, like ambulance, etc) You don't need it unless you get a PTO wench or hydraulic pump.... It's for commercial customers primarily.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The switch will allow you to idle for longer periods of time without hurting the engine, if I remember correctly. New diesels are not set up to idle like the older ones would for long periods of time. jim
Old 06-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
The switch will allow you to idle for longer periods of time without hurting the engine, if I remember correctly. New diesels are not set up to idle like the older ones would for long periods of time. jim
I am afraid this is urban mythology. I'm not trying to diss you, but this is something somebody made up and it just kind of hangs out there. It is strictly for PTO and HEAVY electrical demands. (NOT RVing) I'm talking ambulance, etc.

There is nothing wrong mechanically with idling at the regular idle speeds. It is wasteful and completely unnecessary down to way below 0*F. That makes it wrong economically and environmentally.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #25

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
OK, now I'm confused. On the Chevrolet website, it describes the high idle switch as an option for use in cold weather and doesn't give any more detail.

This Duramax that I am ordering is coming with dual 125 amp alternators and dual 730 CCA bateries.

Brian
Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Georgia
Out of my 2008 diesel owners manual:

"The high idle feature elevates the engine idle speed to 1050 rpms when outside temperatures are below 32 deg F and the engine coolant temperatures are below 150 deg F. This feature enhances heater performance by raising the engine coolant temperature faster."

Basically, it makes the engine warm up faster in the winter, so the heater will warm you up sooner. Diesels do take longer to warm up than gas engines. My Jeep warms up fast, within a mile from the house it begins to put out warm air. My diesel takes about 7 miles before it starts warming the cabin.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
HIgh Idle is the best thing going for any extended idle: raises oil pressure to 40-psi or better and thickens that "wedge" of oil at the bearings.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Brian,
If you have not already chosen this option on your new truck, I recommend the factory installed brake controller. The one on my Silverado is the best controller I have ever used.
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Brian