Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
2500HD gas mileage

I would be thrilled to death to get the sort of mpg you are talking about. I doubt I've ever done over 14 driving at 65 (interstate).

Do you have any aftermarket mods to do this? Do I need a trip to the dealer for a checkout?

Dwight
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
2500HD Silverado is still great

I mentioned in earlier post how wonderful our truck is. Not to detract at all, we have two warranty corrections. Dealer replaced the receiver assembly when we noticed the pin hole in the receiver was wallowed out pretty badly. Dealer said he'd never seen this, but he did not hesitate to replace it No Cost.

I complained to Ressler Chevrolet in Bozeman, MT, of high oil consumption on my 8.1L Vortec. I'd heard these engines were bad for this and might have some dealer/mfr magic they could work on it. He said, No, not for the 2006 but let him look over it anyway. Bingo! They found a cracked oil cooler line, replaced it No Cost. Gave me a GM form to log oil consumption in case it still seemed excessive. Treated me great, got me in and out in under a few hours with the oil leak check, replacement of the cracked line, and an oil change. Very fine customer service, very fine service to my truck. I'll go back next time I'm in Bozeman.

Six weeks and 2,600 miles later, the dipstick oil level is unchanged. Sweet.

The only mods we've made are a tonneau cover, a transfer flow replacement fuel tank to upgrade from a 26 to a 45 gallon capacity, and a bunch of 12v and coax wires for amateur radios.

Gas mileage isn't much to write home about (maybe it'll improve after we get it broken in, only has 26,000 miles on it), power is what we expected from a big block V-8, exhaust sound is better than we expected (quieter than any diesel but has a very nice rumble), seats (cloth captain) are most comfortable of any we've had (vw, audi, mazda, honda, volvo, bmw). What a great truck!

Guess I'll try a Dodge next time, or a Ford, to see what I'm missing, you know? But a diesel? Not in the foreseeable.

Jim
Cascade Locks, OR

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
That truck, with the 4.10 rear, will pull 2 or 3 of anything AirStream ever made...

Bill (nuthin but GM's) Tex
Hey Bill Tex; You are so right. My 06 2500 HD with 6.0 L with 410 hardly knows that is towing my 26' Arg. MPG's depend on terrain and how hard one drives. While the 6.6L diesel with Duramax is the best, I am happy with my gasser. While I do not know much about Ford one thing for sure, I would go crazy listening to that rattle box. At least with Duramax the noise level inside the cab is very tolerable. To improve MPG's I am entertaining the idea of installing a K&N cold intake kit. Aside of the junk factory hitch which I already dumped and installed ULTIMATE FRAME hitch I love my 2500HD. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Well, we hitched up this weekend to test her mettle and couldn't be happier! It's so quiet, and from what we could tell, perfectly capable. On the CAT scales they both weighed in (with Hensley) at 13,200 lbs. Truck was too light to weigh independently. Should have a good idea of how close we are to the gross on the Safari. Thanks for all of the input. It made pulling the trigger much easier. : )
stowaways is offline   Reply With Quote