Old 07-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Cheap new tow vehicle

I happened to run across this truck as I perused the hard to find GM work truck for sale ads. Trying to configure a work truck on a GM site is almost impossible, as they're loath to sell anyone a cheap truck.

This one is a crew cab, 5.3L 6 sp auto, heavy duty trailer package, locking rear diff, power windows, locks and mirrors, for just over $30,000 Canadian. So what if it has cloth seats, vinyl flooring and no other options. You can always bling the wheels easily for others; add a nice truck cap and a set of decals to dress it up for not much more.

How could you go wrong for $25,000 USD?

https://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/chevrol...%201Z0&sprx=-2

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I happened to run across this truck as I perused the hard to find GM work truck for sale ads. Trying to configure a work truck on a GM site is almost impossible, as they're loath to sell anyone a cheap truck.

This one is a crew cab, 5.3L 6 sp auto, heavy duty trailer package, locking rear diff, power windows, locks and mirrors, for just over $30,000 Canadian. So what if it has cloth seats, vinyl flooring and no other options. You can always bling the wheels easily for others; add a nice truck cap and a set of decals to dress it up for not much more.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
They are loathe to sell you a stripped down model because it cuts deeply into their profits. They can put on $100 worth of "stuff" and then raise the price $2000. It's outrageous, but they have to pay for all that advertising and host those dealer conventions. We have to pay them for it.

Personally, I like cloth seats. I grew up with dad's car having the vinyl plastic ones and hated them. No leather for me. Most new cars come with carpeting, then we put in mats to protect them. Dad's had vinyl flooring, very easy to take care of. I was at a dealership looking for a low end pickup. I asked about cruise control. "OH, you want the convenience package. Cruise control, power windows and locks, a leather covered gearshift knob." I said it was a 2-door pickup, I can roll the window down and I have an educated foot for cruise control.

I'm with you, looks like a good price if the specs are high enough to pull your AS. It's a nice looking truck. Check the reviews on Edmunds and NHTSA sites. Always do your homework.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Totally agree with you Rich on the cloth seats. I have cloth in my Altima and they are much more comfortable year round than leather, as we can go from -40F to 100F.

I even looked into what it would take to add cruise control to this truck. Yes the stalk is up to 2017; but the new 2019 model is for the new body style and looks the same. Plug and play!

https://www.thecruisecontrolstore.co...e-control-kit/

As far as adding GVWR for towing, there are a myriad of things that could be added, from helper springs, air bags; right up to adding a 3/4 ton rear axle if need be.
For myself I only have a 1978 6.7M Minuet that weighs 2,700 lbs empty. Shouldn't pose a problem for this truck at all.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 07-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Well, good news.....Really thought wife was going to have a heart attack or just kill me for even suggesting a GM pick up, but after due consideration and thought she actually thought it made sense..........now to let that furment for a bit and see if I can sneek the new 3.0l turbo diesel into the mix; she was concerned with fuel economy.

The only thing is, you can't get the new diesel in anything less than a LT trim; no WT trim diesels, which is stupid. Arrgh, what happened to the good old days where you could cherry pick options like 1 cent candy.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 07-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Id rather option it up, and get a diesel.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Talking to a sales guy at Ford dealer I go to. I asked, “Why on the XLT can’t they have temp control and a button for the garage door as part of the XLT package? Those are two options I really like. But to get those 2 things I have to get leather seats etc and spend another $5,000 to get the Lariat. It’s just dumb. He agreed. I hate the package deals. But I suppose it keeps things smoother on the assembly line. But those 2 options could only add about $200 to a cost of a pickup.

It is funny though. I get carpeted floors in the XLT, then I proceed to cover them with rubber mats. Otherwise the carpeted floors get filthy and are hard to clean. Oh well.

I’ve considered the next pickup I get I’m going used. My problem is that I am really fussy about cleanliness in my pickup. If I get a ding I fix it. The interior of my pickup is just about like new. Same with the exterior. Although I have a few chips from rocks I have to fix. Just ordered the paint kit. Hard to find used pickups that are well taken care of with the options that I like.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Tony, that 5.3 probably gets about 20mpg. How much more mpg would you get for the $8000 or so for a diesel? And how long would you have to own it, and for how many miles, to break even, versus the gas engine?
Old 07-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Tony, that 5.3 probably gets about 20mpg. How much more mpg would you get for the $8000 or so for a diesel? And how long would you have to own it, and for how many miles, to break even, versus the gas engine?
Yeah, I know.
It would be the new model 1500 that would have the diesel, as opposed to the 5.3 in the LD classic truck; and it would set me back a lot more than 8 G's to get the diesel, as I'd have to get the new model, and a LT trim package, with a bunch of stuff I don't need, or want.️ 45,000+ as opposed to 32,500+.

35 mpg versus 20 mpg. Better resale on the diesel, maybe.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 07-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Huh, they just upped the price of the truck by 2G's.