Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Urbana , Illinois
Cargo Van for Towing

For stealth camping in a city, I'd potentially like to purchase a used "beater" cargo van (either gas or diesel), which I can convert into a minimalist RV. The van needs enough towing capacity to haul an approximately 6000 lb Airstream trailer, perhaps 3000 miles per year, and maybe (big maybe) 15-20 mpg when towing. Possible?
rlepperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Not going to get that mileage unless you find a diesel and are extremely light footed.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Even the diesel vans (rare, expensive) will be sub 15mpg, I think.

Ford made diesel vans, here's one: Cars for Sale: 2006 Ford E-350 and Econoline 350 Super Duty in Denver, CO 80221: Van Details - 396323593 - Autotrader
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
These people tow an Airstream with a van:

An Airstream Travel Blog |Mali Mish
Old 04-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Another thing, if you are only towing 3,000 miles per year, the MPG's won't matter all that much.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That goal is very achievable with an Express/Savana 2500 van.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
U can tow trailers with big vans

I'm not sure how steathy U can b with an A/S in tow, but U can easily tow with a big van & sleep in it with min. or much eqpt.

Purists look at rear axle to hitch receiver distance as a measure of TV spec. The longer the distance the worse the TV. On the road my extended Ford van MH does fine, even with its long axle to bumper #.

I see 25 year old Ford vans & class C all the time. Seems like they can be kept going for decades. I expect mine to still be in use in 2115. Hey, it will be a family legacy !
Go for one, it will be good !
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
I think the Mercedes sprinter diesel looks like an interesting option.

Used Mercedes-Benz Sprinter For Sale - CarGurus
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Be REALLY CAREFUL using a Sprinter as a tow vehicle. I have posted extensively about my 5 year experience towing me '06 19 CCD with my old '04 Sprinter 2500.

6000 lbs............you would need a newer 3500 short wheel base low roof ONLY!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:43 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrum View Post
I think the Mercedes sprinter diesel looks like an interesting option.

Used Mercedes-Benz Sprinter For Sale - CarGurus
We tow our 28' International with a Mercedes Sprinter diesel. In order to tow more than 5000 lbs, you must have the one-ton (3500). Our AS is 6980 when fully loaded, and the Sprinter handles it fine--you're definitely going slowly uphill, but can hold 45 mph on the steepest grades we've encountered so far. If we cruise the interstate at 70-75, we only get 11-12 mpg, but if we hold to 55-60mph, we're getting about 14.7 mpg.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Healdsburg , California
Hi!

I have a 28' 2014 International Onyx that I tow with a 2011 Ford Econoline 150 Cargo Van. I had the same idea that you do, although time has not allowed me to 'stealth' out my van!

I have been traveling since the beginning of December, 2014 (only in California). I have no problems towing with my van and have found it to get really great gas mileage, about 18-22 MPG. I made sure that the van was set up properly to tow my Airstream with the right receiver attached to the frame at the Ford dealer as it was not set up for towing when I bought it.

It really is great to have a van for smaller excursions and just day to day driving. I put a futon bed in the back and carry my extra stuff, like tools and toys for my son (almost 2 years old!).

I was worried that I wasn't getting the best tow vehicle for tow capacity and have wondered about diesel trucks or vans. You might see if you can test tow, if that is possible, with the vehicles you are interested in prior to buying one. (I didn't and wish I could have).

I also thought about a Mercedes diesel SUV (450 something or other...) and also a large pickup, but all in all, the advantages of having a second RV have been great.
2KME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Not much towing capacity for an A/S Interstate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Be REALLY CAREFUL using a Sprinter as a tow vehicle. I have posted extensively about my 5 year experience towing me '06 19 CCD with my old '04 Sprinter 2500.

6000 lbs............you would need a newer 3500 short wheel base low roof ONLY!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
I 100% agree with Lew. If you plan to buy an Interstate and tow with it, you must be aware of the actual weight of the Interstate and lay this off against the GCWR. I recently visited a new A/S dealer (Dixie RV) and found about 12 A/S trailers and 8 Interstates, all new, on the lot. A rather good selection, I thought. I left with a new A/S brochure and one for the Interstate models. When I looked at the GCWR of the Interstates less the factory stated weights, I found most have only 4400 to 5000 towing capacity left. Unless one plans to run several thousand pounds over the GCWR limit, an Interstate will only be able to tow the smallest A/S trailers.

The weight of the TV can eat up the GCWR limit, even though the "empty cargo van" tow rating may be adequate. After the RV conversion is made there may not enough left in the CGWR to tow what you want to tow. I believe most class B MHs roll out at GVWR or maybe a little bit more. Mine does.

If your TV's tow rating when empty is adequate and you don't exceed the GCWR by more than, say, 2000 pounds when hooked up, you may be able to use it. But don't use this statement as justification...... I just think this is what people do. Remember, the TV's brakes stop the TV and the trailer's brakes stop the trailer. If your Interstate TV is rated to tow your trailer's weight but the conversion added a lot of weight to the Interstate, then what are you going to be able to do? It would be so much better if MB would raise the GCWR from 15, 250 to 20,000 pounds.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Old 04-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamalong View Post
Hi!

I have a 28' 2014 International Onyx that I tow with a 2011 Ford Econoline 150 Cargo Van. I had the same idea that you do, although time has not allowed me to 'stealth' out my van!

I have been traveling since the beginning of December, 2014 (only in California). I have no problems towing with my van and have found it to get really great gas mileage, about 18-22 MPG. I made sure that the van was set up properly to tow my Airstream with the right receiver attached to the frame at the Ford dealer as it was not set up for towing when I bought it.

It really is great to have a van for smaller excursions and just day to day driving. I put a futon bed in the back and carry my extra stuff, like tools and toys for my son (almost 2 years old!).

I was worried that I wasn't getting the best tow vehicle for tow capacity and have wondered about diesel trucks or vans. You might see if you can test tow, if that is possible, with the vehicles you are interested in prior to buying one. (I didn't and wish I could have).

I also thought about a Mercedes diesel SUV (450 something or other...) and also a large pickup, but all in all, the advantages of having a second RV have been great.
Hi Streamalong , If you can find one, look at a Ford Towing Brochure, 2011 if possible. It will tell you exactly how much you can tow with your vehicle, engine and transmission combination. Looking at your MPG report, I'm thinking you have a small engine, so that will lower the tow rating. A 28' A/S is getting toward the upper end of Ford van tow ratings. My E-250 large V8 has a rating of 7400 pounds. You should be able to find the tow brochure on line. Beware that you can't depend on a 2015 brochure to apply to your 2011 van. Ford changes HP ratings and upgrades their transmissions all the time, so only rely on the specs for a 2011 vehicle, please.

Sounds as if you are doing OK so far, and good luck for your future travels.
Let's Roll !

Wolf
Old 04-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Urbana , Illinois
On your Ford E 150, what is the engine size, transmission, and rear axle?
rlepperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
I assume that MPG is NOT while towing :-)

I have been traveling since the beginning of December, 2014 (only in California). I have no problems towing with my van and have found it to get really great gas mileage, about 18-22 MPG.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:37 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Healdsburg , California
I had my van and Airstream weighed as I was concerned when I first started out.

I didn't know that one couldn't just pull up to a CHP weigh station, but as it was late at night, the Officer on duty kindly weighed my van, A/S, and both together.

I had to remove the bedroom furniture (long story), and I was already traveling light, so I weighed in at around 4200lbs total.

The van has a V8 and it is not the extended version. It really does get incredible gas mileage towing...18-22 Mpg. I was really surprised by that, but there you have it. Not towing is only a little better. I think the engine is just the base capacity/size. I am still a total noob with all of the towing ratios/weights/, etc., and I do wonder when I might have transmission issues, but so far so good.
When I started out in December, I was so green and clueless about towing it was both scary and comical. Glad to say no accidents or even minor scratches, knock wood!
After traveling by myself with my almost two year old son these last months, I've gotten pretty good at getting around and into any space and hitching/un-hitching/, ....also by myself. I just really take my time.
The scariest part was not knowing how to back up at first, and also going over the mountains on Hwy 166 from Bakersfield to Santa Maria. Makes the Grapevine look like a cake walk. More scenic though and I'd definitely do it again.
2KME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Very curious as to which Ford van you're using. As suggested above, if you can get a manual (start by searching on line) for your year, you can find out the towing limits. If your van can handle the loaded weight of your 28', you'll be just fine. And that mileage is just incredible for towing, even at Calif's max 55 mph. Our Sprinter gets around 14.5-14.7mpg towing at that speed with its small diesel.

Our 2009 28' International is 6100 empty. When loaded for the road, with pots n pans, dishes, full propane tanks, a 1/4 tank of fresh water, groceries, drinking water, clothing, tools, etc, it weighs 6980 lbs (that includes 130 lbs of two extra batteries). So I would guess that you're closer to that weight than to 6000 lbs, and I'd use 7000 to figure what you're actually towing, just to be safe (I believe that you are also rated for the AS to weigh a max of 7300lbs).

Which engine and differential are in your Ford? They often comes with a smaller V8 and a very large differential to make them more powerful for towing, but this usually results in poor gas mileage, too!
Old 04-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
possible tow rating

I checked a 2007 Ford towing manual. An E-150 standard van with a 4.6 L V8 & 3.73 axle ratio has 6000 lb tow rating. Ups to 6500 lb with 4.30 axle. That van has GCWR of 11,500 lb regardless of axle.
This is an example of the data from a towing manual.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Old 04-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
I tow our 30' Classis with a 1999 Chevy Express 2500 extended van. It has the 5.0 liter gas engine. I did change the 3.73:1 rear end gears to 4.10:1. This made a big difference. I also added an additional engine oil cooler and an additional transmission oil cooler. I have towed 10's of thousands of miles with this van (even before the Airstream). I like the extended Chevrolet because it has a short rear axle to hitch distance. The van now has just over 100 thousand miles on it and it is still going strong.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
So now best to re-weigh your Airstream as loaded for the road. If your Ford has the 4.3 differential with the 4.6 V* (smaller engine), you're good up to 6500 of loaded Airstream and no need to change. But if your Airstream loaded is closer to 7000 lbs, as I suspect it might be, you're pushing the Ford's drive train pretty hard and might consider a change.