Old 11-12-2007, 08:17 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
Scott...I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was meant as a joke....Tom R

With a hint facetiousness - yep I can see that too....

Not knocking personally here, cause I really don't have a yes or no on this topic. Right or Wrong But I would not discredit someone based on my opinion alone....

Why even the car manufacturers don't have a bonified weight rating system so how can we possibly base anything on fact....

Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963
With a hint facetiousness - yep I can see that too....

Not knocking personally here, cause I really don't have a yes or no on this topic. Right or Wrong But I would not discredit someone based on my opinion alone....

Why even the car manufacturers don't have a bonified weight rating system so how can we possibly base anything on fact....
I strongly agree...it would be great if there were emperical (sp?) evidence available...but I do not believe there is such?

I am far more respctful of posters with strong opinions but w/o the absolutes attached...or the finger pointing at Andy/CanAM. I wish other dealers were as interested and capable in this tow vehicle set-up arena.

And I repeat...I am intrigued and impressed with what CanAm has done over the years...but would need more "facts" to offset all the "conventional wisdom" on this topic...not to mention the "tow capacities" as published by the manufacturers. Plus...I am after all...a "bigger is better" American!

I will keep reading and looking...Tom R

Old 11-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Hey this makes feel good about our 08 f150. After reading all the post on the need for 2500 series and greater alongside diesel I was wondering why this truck has worked so well. It shows the need for big is not always best when towin an AS.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #60
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
I strongly agree...it would be great if there were emprical (sp?) evidence available...but I do not believe there is such?

HAVE A LOOK AT ANY SET OF PICTURES FROM THE 1960'S AND 1970'S OF CARS PULLING TRAILERS OF THIS AND OTHER TYPES; THEY WERE ALL "OVERWEIGHT" UNTIL THE OEMS UPPED THE TOW RATINGS BY THE END OF THE 1970'S. THE OEM'S PRETTY MUCH ADDED TRANS, STEERING AND OCCASIONLLY ENGINE OIL COOLERS WITH SOME HEAVIER SPRINGS. THAT'S IT.

WAS THE ACCIDENT RATE HIGHER? I THINK NOT IF ONE FACTORS THE POOR TIRES OF THE DAY OUT OF ANY EQUATIONS.

I am far more respctful of posters with strong opinions but w/o the absolutes attached...or the finger pointing at Andy/CanAM. I wish other dealers were as interested and capable in this tow vehicle set-up arena.

YES, SOUNDS LIKE TALK RADIO.

And I repeat...I am intrigued and impressed with what CanAm has done over the years...but would need more "facts" to offset all the "conventional wisdom" on this topic...not to mention the "tow capacities" as published by the manufacturers.Tom R
THE FORD PANTHER PLATFORM (CROWN VIC) HAS BEEN IN PRODUCTION SINCE 1979. USED TO BE RATED AT 5,000-LBS CAPACITY. BUT IT IS NOT THE PROFIT LEADER LIKE THE F150 AND EXPLORER. SIMPLE ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND I THINK, AS FORD DE-RATED THE C-V AFTER SALES OF THE OTHERS TOOK OFF.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I Could Not Agree More. Our New 08 F150 Is Truly A Heay Half Ton With Plenty Of Power. Keep Up The Effort To Show Why A 3/4 Is Not Always Needed.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Ok people ,hears the deal ,
I went to the trouble of posting tow ratings for the two cars that CanAm are demoing ,using factory ratings from the companies that make the vehicals .
Facts that show the OVER LOADING of these vehicals .you make excuses to prove your points as valid .Joking on the fifth wheel comment ,but I need no benefit of anybodys doubt. I can make some pretty good assessments on these setups because Im in this business and industry for 30 years myself ,its not that difficult you guys . What is it that makes you think that no one else has any possible idea or knowledge of this pratice
and therefore cannot make ANY statement contrary to whats going on at
CanAm RV ? Rednax ,yes chrysler made unibody cars in the 60s ,most all
the other manafacturers full size tow vehicals were full frame .your talking to someone with extensive knowledge on cars and trucks with more than enough experience to make an assesment on towing .dismiss me if you all choose ,
makes absolutley no difference to me ,the funny thing is that when somebody with some experience and information posts contrary to the your desired
thinking ,then everyone adds there emotional content to it .My opinions are
based on the mechanics of it ,I see Rednax tows with a 04 dodge truck
and Im certain most all of you tow with similar vehicals ,yet all this about how great or inspiring CanAm is doing it ,so why are you guys not following the wisdom ? Im looking at this from a physics and mechanical stand point.I also find that the objectors like to dismiss or disregard it ,even
when the vehical manafacturers CLEARLY have listed the weight ratings of
their vehicals .I don't think you need a 3/4 ton diesel for the most part either
but it does the job effortlessy for sure .My Travelall is a 1/2 ton vehical
by the way and it does the job .If the car is the way to go ,then all of you
folks should step up and get one ,conversation is good ,but talk is cheap
especially if your all barking me down while driving suburbans and 3/4 tons
at the same time . Im going to go ahead and step out of this debate at
this point .........pile on everyone .

Scott