Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #21
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
I don't know much about Can-Am except what I read here, but I do know a lot about safe towing and it takes more than a beefed up hitch set up to make an inadequate vehicle capable of safe towing.
Is that knowledge of safe towing empirical (from experimentation) or anecdotal?
Old 07-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Is that knowledge of safe towing empirical (from experimentation) or anecdotal?
Can you define "safe"?

Use, instead, "stable".

Start with the trailer: Is an AS more stable than a conventional box trailer? Why?

Have at it.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsnkiki View Post
CanAm has indicated we could tow, with their hitches and mods, up to a 30' Classic. Don't need that, but we would like to go maybe up to a 22' +/- with the van. Thoughts?
CanAm doesn't seem to have much of a presence in the Hitch business since Google can't find them. All I found was lots of products for ATV's and Motorcycles.
Probably just me.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #24
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Can you define "safe"?

Use, instead, "stable".

Start with the trailer: Is an AS more stable than a conventional box trailer? Why?

Have at it.
Why are you directing your question to me? Perhaps you meant to ask MrJKQ whom I was quoting.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #25
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
CanAm doesn't seem to have much of a presence in the Hitch business since Google can't find them. All I found was lots of products for ATV's and Motorcycles.
Probably just me.
Try Can-Am RV Centre.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Got it, thanks. They are a dealer, not a manufacturer. Selling Reese.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #27
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Read a bit more. Then give them a call. You have only scratched the surface. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
If you search for actual experiences with just about anything, you can usually find both good and bad. How many posts are there about any given hitch and the problems people have with them?
I expect the people at Can-Am try to be professional. If they aren't, there would be posts saying so.
So, if your search for disappointed, unhappy customers of Can-Am's work comes up with little or no results, I think that speaks volumes. Observations and statements of others who have not used them are just opinions.
As others have said, it comes down to your comfort level with them.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Richmond , British Columbia
I just moved from a 1500 Ram c/w EcoDiesel to a Ford F-350 Diesel, towing a '17 27FB. Before making the decision I consulted with Andy at CanAm. He is a great guy, extremely helpful and wasn't trying to sell me anything considering I live 3000 miles away.They are the best I have encountered in this business.
I was able to fine tune my rig as best as I could based on his suggestions, plus information I gathered myself but couldn't quite get there. The 1500 just doesn't have the capacity, in payload or axle ratings. No matter how good CanAm are, they can't change the design parameters of the tow vehicle. I wasn't comfortable exceeding payload or axle ratings....and as a fellow driver on the road...nor should anyone.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
So many of us here are okay with their trucks, Airstream model, hitch and hitch installer until they get something different. Then they proceed to trash talk the former favorite.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #31
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
They do custom receivers as well as sell Eaz-Lift hitches (amongst others.)
Old 07-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Richmond , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
So many of us here are okay with their trucks, Airstream model, hitch and hitch installer until they get something different. Then they proceed to trash talk the former favorite.
Not one reply to this thread trashed talked their former favorite....I sure didn't. In my case I loved my Ram EcoDiesel, best vehicle I have ever owned, and sold it to my brother under market to keep it in the family. I just wasn't comfortable being over payload and axle ratings. CanAm said it was fine to be, but I didn't agree.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Experience

For the OP:

In our sixth year of towing a 28' 2011 International with a Toyota Sienna Minivan set up by CanAm RV and I have nothing but praise for the work they do.

Keeping clear of hyperbole, I can tell the you that our tow vehicle has performed admirably and given us few problems. We haven't done a huge amount of miles over the years and we have, for the most part, traveled lightly. We live in Ontario, which is flat, and kept to the eastern side of the continent, so no altitude work or crazy grades, but we have towed in Appalachians in Tennessee and through the White Mountains in New Hampshire, all without issue.

Going up the hills is slow, but no slower than any semi, and going down is a task that needs some care to keep the speed down from the start, but that's just good towing practice.

I've had the Sienna serviced by the local Toyota dealer and have not strayed beyond the recommended schedule. CanAm fitted a second transmission oil cooler, which has helped, and when the (synthetic) oil was changed at 60,000 miles, the technician reported nothing unusual. I am on my second set of shocks, not because they needed replacing following failure, but because it was recommended as a periodic safety enhancement by CanAm. Brakes have been fine because, as another poster said, I can actually stop the Sienna slightly more quickly when towing than when not, so brake load isn't significant.

The only towing related problem I have had has been with the hitch receiver box getting slightly deformed by the upward pull of the weight distribution system (a basic Eaz-Lift with 1000lb bars). CanAm effected a repair by welding a small wedge onto the head shank and have suggested that a repair and additional strengthening is an easy task. Because I haven't done much towing in recent seasons, I haven't had that done yet. If we have a long trip planned in the future, though, I might opt for a new hitch receiver as Canadian winters are taking their toll on the old receiver.

Having a smaller tow vehicle isn't for everyone, but it suits me and my family. I haven't had a single sway incident, no near misses, no tail wagging the dog, no towing incidents of any kind in fact.

You can quote me all manner of scare things about imminent death and danger but you're only speculating; my practical experience tells an entirely different story. You can quote me numbers, but my axles are not overloaded and my payload not exceeded. You can tell me it's illegal, but no one has ever been able to show me the law I'm supposed to be breaking. You can tell me it's a liability nightmare, but no one has ever shown me a documented case of liability being proved against such an RV owner. I can't speak for warranty because I never had to claim on mine.

So, from one who knows and has been happily and safely towing with a Minivan for a number of years, trust in what the real experts at CanAm tell you. Ultimately, though, it's your choice to tow how you want to.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:01 PM   #34

Carmel , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post

We haven't done a huge amount of miles over the years and we have, for the most part, traveled lightly. We live in Ontario, which is flat, and kept to the eastern side of the continent, so no altitude work or crazy grades, but we have towed in Appalachians in Tennessee and through the White Mountains in New Hampshire, all without issue.

Going up the hills is slow, but no slower than any semi, and going down is a task that needs some care to keep the speed down from the start, but that's just good towing practice.

MrUKToad,

I'm curious, how many miles have you put on your combination over the year? People's definition of "not a huge amount" can vary quite a bit

I'm even more curious for more details on your comment about not having gone up any crazy grades, but it sounds like you have driven on some challenging grades. I know I-75 near the KY/TN line has a 5-6% grade for a few miles. I would imagine that I-93 through the White Mountains probably has something similar, but Interstates are capped at 7% and in both those areas leaving the interstate could easily result in much steeper grades. Any idea what the steepest grade you've gone up has been? How did your Sienna do towing that much weight? What speed were you able to maintain?
ryan52403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:53 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan52403 View Post
MrUKToad,

I'm curious, how many miles have you put on your combination over the year? People's definition of "not a huge amount" can vary quite a bit

I'm even more curious for more details on your comment about not having gone up any crazy grades, but it sounds like you have driven on some challenging grades. I know I-75 near the KY/TN line has a 5-6% grade for a few miles. I would imagine that I-93 through the White Mountains probably has something similar, but Interstates are capped at 7% and in both those areas leaving the interstate could easily result in much steeper grades. Any idea what the steepest grade you've gone up has been? How did your Sienna do towing that much weight? What speed were you able to maintain?
Hmmm, haven't been here for a while

Averaged out we only put a couple of thousand miles towing in each year; Work and other commitments have limited us somewhat so apart from the occasional long trip we're mostly weekenders, or were up until COVID arrived.

We've traversed both the Interstates you mention. The I75 in TN, going south, was fine and we breezed past a few semis at 50-55mph; no problems there.

Going north on I93 through Franconia Notch in NH was similarly without incident, although that's a long haul to the top. Again, slower than the surrounding traffic but the Sienna was fine. Coming down the other side into VT was more difficult in as much as it's a shorter run but steeper. All I do, as the truckers do (I have a CDL), is slow down and gear down before the descent and use my brakes sparingly. Again, no problems encountered.

In 2019 we traveled the NY20A from Warsaw to East Aurora, and that was far more challenging than the Interstates. We were going west and all the rivers were north-south, so we spent the whole trip up and down very steep grades, on winding roads going through small towns. The uphills were slow, but the downhills, with their twists and turns, were a real challenge. We arrived in Buffalo safe and sound but I read later that the NY20A is not recommended for RVs!

Steve (MrUKToad)

Old 07-22-2021, 07:27 AM   #36

Carmel , Indiana
Thanks Steve,

NY20A looks quite challenging! Looks like there's a 14% up grade right out of Warsaw and several 10% down grades. Up and down like a roller coaster for 25 miles! I'm impressed your Sienna towing a 7,000lb Airstream can do that. Challenging I'm sure, but there are a number of people who think you need a 1 ton dually to pull smaller trailers on far less challenging routes!
ryan52403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:27 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan52403 View Post
Thanks Steve,

NY20A looks quite challenging! Looks like there's a 14% up grade right out of Warsaw and several 10% down grades. Up and down like a roller coaster for 25 miles! I'm impressed your Sienna towing a 7,000lb Airstream can do that. Challenging I'm sure, but there are a number of people who think you need a 1 ton dually to pull smaller trailers on far less challenging routes!

There's no issue with power. The Sienna claims an output of 266HP, and using a Scan Gauge I've only ever seen the engine draw 130HP, so there's plenty to spare. Yes, I know that the Scan Gauge is only calculating a theoretical output, but it's an indicator that engine is well within its limits.

Lots of people tell me that I won't stop the trailer with Sienna, but again I haven't found any problems with stopping. Each of the four wheels on the trailer has a brake, and the Sienna has good brakes given that it's designed to take 8 adults, so it'll stop pretty well in any event. As NY20A demonstrated, and I don't think this would be any different whatever tow vehicle I was using, you have to preserve the drum brakes on the Airstream and not let them get too hot. So, as I said before, slowing down and gearing down before a steep descent is essential and takes a bit of thought. Could I stop if my trailer brakes failed? It'd probably screw the rotors up on the Sienna but I'm sure I could do it once, and that's all I'd need in that emergency situation.

Towing with a (properly set up) minivan is perfectly fine for the kind of traveling we do. If I wanted to haul kayaks, bikes, generators and firewood then maybe a truck would work better. But I don't, and nine seasons of safe and enjoyable towing with the Sienna kind of settles the issue for me.