Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #21
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
You have enough truck. You need just a little more confidence. It will work just fine.
Merry Christmas.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:59 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Boerne , Texas
Upgrade your shocks and get either a ProPride or Hensley hitch and you'll have a good rig.
texascanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Shocks do not a affect on payload capabilities.Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
To dot the "i" and "t" of this issue: take the tow vehicle to the scales with a full tank of fuel and get the actual weights on the front and rear axle. For the most accurate results, have the passenger and all the "stuff" you plan to carry in the back of the tow vehicle on board as well.

Then open the driver's door and study the data plate. There should be a minimum of three weights and possibly a fourth:

1. Front axle
2. Rear axle
3. GVW - gross vehicle weight - typically less than the two axle capacities added together
4. GCVW - the maximum weight of the tow vehicle and a loaded trailer when connected

Now get the tire sidewall information pertaining to the maximum load and at what pressure.

The axle ratings are what a DOT inspection is concerned about along with tire ratings when stopping the big rigs. We should be concerned about these ratings as well.

The axles are the typical weak link in the support chain as changing them for more capacity without a stronger frame is pointless as the frame then can be the weak link. Stronger springs, bigger or air shocks, bigger tires or air bags do not add capacity to the axles.

If one thinks about bigger tires, also check that the new (if required) wheel (steel or aluminum) is rated for the projected load and is the correct size for the tire.

By design, pickups empty are biased by the front motor location and the front axle usually has a much higher percentage of it's capacity used supporting that load.

Subtract the scale axle weights from the axle ratings on the data plate and add the two differences together. This number is your real payload capacity. If the driver was in the vehicle when weighed, then if not too many Dunkin' Donuts are consumed, the empty weight is known.

If all the "stuff", full fuel tank and passenger were aboard the tow vehicle, then you have the real number of available weight to support the tongue weight of the trailer.

As mentioned before, the Airstream published tongue weight numbers are typically understated by several hundred pounds. Taking the connected rig across the scales and playing with a weight distribution hitch can shift "SOME" of the tongue weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle.

If the tow vehicle weight is maxed out or exceeded, then one should really consider either a smaller trailer or a larger weight capacity tow vehicle. Ask your insurance agent if an accident occurs in an overloaded condition will there be coverage.

If the vehicle is close to max weight, check the tire ratings again. It might be wise to get more tire capacity as a reserve for the hot summer days in the SouthWest.

If towing close to their max rating, the tires should be changed more often.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Boerne , Texas
Hey MoFlash the internet sure has made it easy for someone like you to run around making fun of others.

The point I'm making is that if this guys rig is near or at his max limit he will benefit from better handling with some upgrades. Even with my setup I got a noticeable difference in comfort and handling even though I'm well within the capacity of the TV.
texascanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Sorry if I hurt your feelings but if he is at or near his limit a new ball cap will help as much as a pair of shocks.Not laughing at you just some of the advise being given.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Stronger springs, bigger or air shocks, bigger tires or air bags do not add capacity to the axles.
Thus, new shocks may improve the ride (or make it worse depending on what you buy), but will not increase payload. A guy I know who runs a suspension shop agrees, but people come in wanting air bags, shocks, springs, etc., and he explains it won't increase payload, but they buy them anyway. If relatively minor upgrades would help, I (and many others) would do it.

Nonetheless, higher quality shocks can improve drivability and ride.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Just remember that there is tow capacity AND payload rating - separate figures. Sales people usually know ONLY the tow figure and think if your tow is under the rating all is ok regardless of payload rating which they never seem to know. Find out what both are for your truck (some have posted it) and then find out what your trailer REALLY weighs on tongue weight. My published tongue weight is 860 but the actual is 990. Finally, remember that tongue weight is subtracted from the payload rating.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #29
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Well said, and true.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

As some have noted here...the important points.

AS published tongue weights are notoriously light, CAT weights are important,
axle, tire and hitch ratings are the main limiting factor when considering capability & payload.
The TV weight limits are on the driver door jamb sticker. The AS limits on a sticker usually on the closet door.
The AS axle rating on the exterior VIN plate.

Good Luck

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07990.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	230401   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09215.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	230402  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08051.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	230403  
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:12 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
You have enough truck. You need just a little more confidence. It will work just fine.
Merry Christmas.

Bingo!!!

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote