Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2004, 09:52 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
That's ONE thing I am sure of- I really like the 31' floorplan. I did not see it at the rv show so cound't compare. Once i did see it, I really like it. And after talking with the factory rep I decided that I like not having a mechanism that could cause problems down the line. So at least, I sincerely hope, this will be my last AS ever.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:52 PM   #62

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One of the things we haven't talked much about is the inherent advantage of going from a 1/2 to 3/4 ton tow vehicle. My comparisons really are from a full sized van standpoint. Even though my 1/2 van and 3/4 ton van have the same physical dimensions, I immediately noticed the additional stability when towing my 27' Safari. Dips or bumps in the road which used to greatly flex the rear leaf springs on the 1/2 ton only seem to be a minor bump for the 3/4 ton. In addition 15 inch wheels vs 16 inch wheels on the 3/4 ton. bigger brakes, heavier steering components, heavier duty transmission, all seem to be pluses and make the overall towing experience much more comfortable and safer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:11 PM   #63

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingMoe
I'm just thinkin' that when you do replace the Denali with a vehicle that could pull the slide-out model, you may regret not upgrading the truck and doing so. That's all.
My Airstream progression. We see 70th Anniversary Classic Slide out at 2001 spring RV show, fall in love and now want an Airstream. Look at price tag on Airstream, can't afford it. Go to dealership look at lower priced Classic. We like it but my 2 year old van can't tow its weight. We compromise and settle on 2001 Safari. No dinette but we can live without, right? Well sort of.

GM offers tremendous rebate on 2003 vans. At spring rally we go to GM van plant for tour. I fall in love with the new vans. I upgrade to a 3/4 ton. Now I can pull that Classic. Get the itch to trade up after I get the bigger van. Maybe find a nice used Classic. Go to dealer rally and see new slideout, end up ordering one.

New plan, will keep this van and trailer for many years.......hmm till wife sees motorhome. Conclusion, stay away from rallys.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-21-2004, 11:16 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera
Dips or bumps in the road which used to greatly flex the rear leaf springs on the 1/2 ton only seem to be a minor bump for the 3/4 ton. In addition 15 inch wheels vs 16 inch wheels on the 3/4 ton. bigger brakes, heavier steering components, heavier duty transmission, all seem to be plusesJack
Jack,
The Denali comes with 17 in wheels, huge disk brakes, tranny cooler, and that massive HD suspension for quadra steer.

And, Yeah it's deadly to go to those huge RV shows. I am NOT going to them anymore.

Come rally with us.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:19 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I really liked the 31 better also. Same wardrobe and side bath as the 34. However, my wife was willing to give up my half of the wardrobe and split the bath across the hall to get a dinette. That's why we compromised on the 34
Old 01-22-2004, 06:26 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Bless her heart!

Isn't compromise great!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:21 AM   #67

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee

And, Yeah it's deadly to go to those huge RV shows. I am NOT going to them anymore.
Well I took a new job and work at the Convention facility and indoor domed stadium here in St. Louis. I'm suffering through the auto show right now, 4 exibition halls and the dome floor full of some of the neatest vehicles you have ever seen. Oh my!

Week after next comes the Boat and Sports show and two weeks after that comes the RV show. After that is the Home and Garden show and after that Jack files for Chapter 7.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-22-2004, 11:23 AM   #68
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Just for reference a Caddy Fleetwood is suppose to be able to tow 7000lbs with 3.42 and is really the same setup I have, only I'll have 3.73s. I must be one of the slow to realize folks......

I feel your 1/2 ton Denali will be just fine with what you are thinking about Big Dee. As I've said before, with the mass posts via the internet, you have to sift through all the comments and do what you think is best.

My .02 is that I for sure would not do some of the things that some folks do on this forum, like tow with an Intrepid, however, I don't feel that it is a must that anyone towing a 25-30' coach automatically needs to get the biggest and baddest truck out there to do it. I mean look at the 70s and 80s. What do you think they pulled with then....and then they had even less that what's out there today.

Eric
Just for the record, my tow vehicle in the early '80's was a 1974 Gran Torino station wagon with a 400cid, 120hp, and a C6 automatic transmission. I towed a 27' tandem-axle SOB all over the hills of Kentucky, Tennesee, and environs with no problem. Of course, the speed limit of 55mph didn't hurt in keeping up with traffic of the period. If I remember right, I got 13mpg, too.
Terry
Old 01-22-2004, 12:34 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I made my final decsion. I finalized the paper work on a 30' Classic with Hensley. I got the VIN and the talked to the factory. It will enter the production line on 1/27/04 and come off the line in the second week of February. It should be delivered in third week of February. Thanks everyone, especially Maurice & Jack, for all your help! If we meet on the road, I owe you all a cold one.

Come rally with us.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:46 PM   #70

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
I made my final decsion. I finalized the paper work on a 30' Classic with Hensley. I got the VIN and the talked to the factory. It will enter the production line on 1/27/04 and come off the line in the second week of February. It should be delivered in third week of February. Thanks everyone, especially Maurice & Jack, for all your help! If we meet on the road, I owe you all a cold one.
Thanks for the thanks! Glad to help. I assume that your Classic was already on order by your dealer. My original ordered Classic just got delivered this week to my dealership. I ordered it in early October.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-22-2004, 01:13 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
You're certainly welcome!

But I thought you were gonna get the 31
Old 01-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Jack, When I decided on the 30' Classic, I was super lucky that there was one in the pipeline. I feel so, so lucky! No long, tortuous wait for me, thank god!

Maurice, that was a typo. I was always looking at the 30' since it is very close to the 30' with Slide. Never saw a 31'. I'll let you know my weight numbers as soon as I weigh the new rig.

Come rally with us.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:26 PM   #73

Fenton , Missouri
Airstream plays games with the numbers so the 30' and 31' Classics are all the same length, 31'. The difference is that the 30' unit is the fixed dinette with the bathroom and curb side shower and the 31' is the unit without the fixed dinnette and with a side bath and shower. I don't belive there is a 31' slide out unit. The 30' slide has the dinette in the slide.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-26-2004, 12:46 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
The first weigh numbers are in...

Well after picking up my new 30' Classic with Hensley, I too the rig straight to the CAT scale. I had full water, propane and gasoline tanks and half the stuff that I usually pack.

CAT Scale Numbers

Total: 14100
Trailer axle: 7220
Drive axle: 3420
Steer axle: 3460

Factory Specs

A/S UBW: 7230
Denali FGAWR: 3925
Denali RGAWR: 4000
Denali GCWR: 16000

I expect to pick up about 200# more when I am loaded to max. This would put me about 90-91% of GCWR of the Denali. I tested the rig on Pacheco Pass which has a good grade and tested on
a windy two lane highway. I was very pleased- no problems at all. So I think the Denali will do fine but I will continue to weigh every trip to kee an eye on the numbers.

It is interesting the trailer axles came in under UBW with full water/propane tanks. Also front axle has 40# more weight. The Hensley must really distribute that weight.

Come rally with us.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:15 PM   #75

Fenton , Missouri
Re: The first weigh numbers are in...

Quote:
The Hensley must really distribute that weight.
As should any weight distribution hitch. Thanks for the numbers. It gives me some guidance even though I have the slide out to deal with.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15