Old 01-21-2004, 08:35 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Maurice,

Thanks so much for running the computations. I will tell you that I have taken the Airstream out on 3 trips so far and besides getting terrible gas mileage when traveling in the 70 -75 m.p.h. range, I have had no power problems. For your reference, my gas mileage when I was in the 70 to 75 m.p.h. range is about 8.5 m.p.g. As I stated in a previous posting, when I am driving at 65, I easily get 10 to 11 m.p.g.

The toughest climbs that I have made to this point was when I was driving from San Francisco to Las Vegas. I traveled through Bakersfield and there were a lot of mountain ranges to go through. There was not one time that I ever let saw the odometer go below 50 m.p.h.

With that said, I will also tell you that my situation is a lot different from the average guy on here.

I often travel by myself and have nothing in my truck other than my sunglasses and a bottle of water. In my trailer, there is nothing other than my travel bag which does not weigh more than 20 pounds and a TV for the rear of my coach. The TV does not weigh more than 20 pounds. I must not also forget my portable Vornado Heater which weighs less than 7 pounds.

If I had to do it all over again, I would most likely step up to the 8.1 engine, but at this point, I think that I am OK because of the situation that I am in. Of course, if there was a family involved, etc., the situation would be much different.

Thanks again for your help, it is always truly appreciated.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Big Dee,

I've seen this over and over, many times. Buyer wants a larger trailer than small tow vehicle can handle. Buyer buys trailer smaller than what they wanted, but just at the limit of small tow vehicle. Buyer comes to the realization that small tow vehicle isn't enough. Sometimes this is from realizing it slowly, many times it's from a hair-raising white-knuckle experience.

Well to do buyer trades tow vehicle for larger one that could've towed the trailer they really wanted. Well to do driver lives with this regret.

Very well to do buyer takes a big hit of RV depreciation and also trades trailer for the one they really wanted that new tow vehicle can handle. Having the right rig brings happiness that offsets regret.

Less well to do buyer can't trade tow vehicle OR trailer. Trailer sits unused because buyer is scared to use it but can't sell it because they're upside down on financing and the big RV depreciation makes it worth less than what's owed on it.

I have a pretty strong feeling you're sailing right into one of these situations.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:26 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Yeah, Maurice it sounds familar. Don't all RVers go up in size at least once in life? I bought the 25' Safari thinking that I coundn't afford the Excella. I thought the size was perfect.
But after five years in the Safari, it took one sitting in a '04 31' Classic to know that it was worth the extra money and I wanted that room. I was lucky that AS keeps it's value compared to SOB. I bought the Denali thinking it would be a beast lashed to my 25' Safari. It was, I could pass going up grades.
Well, if I am too maxed out with the Denali now with the Classic, then I'll be that poor sap taking a depreciation hit. But my case is similar to Josh's, as I travel alone and not with much. I still have not even half filled the storage area under my Safari sofa after five years. I think the heaviest things I add to the trailer is the ice chest and tv/dvd. Well, we will just see what it comes too.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:41 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I'm just thinkin' that when you do replace the Denali with a vehicle that could pull the slide-out model, you may regret not upgrading the truck and doing so. That's all.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
That's ONE thing I am sure of- I really like the 31' floorplan. I did not see it at the rv show so cound't compare. Once i did see it, I really like it. And after talking with the factory rep I decided that I like not having a mechanism that could cause problems down the line. So at least, I sincerely hope, this will be my last AS ever.

Come rally with us.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #62

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One of the things we haven't talked much about is the inherent advantage of going from a 1/2 to 3/4 ton tow vehicle. My comparisons really are from a full sized van standpoint. Even though my 1/2 van and 3/4 ton van have the same physical dimensions, I immediately noticed the additional stability when towing my 27' Safari. Dips or bumps in the road which used to greatly flex the rear leaf springs on the 1/2 ton only seem to be a minor bump for the 3/4 ton. In addition 15 inch wheels vs 16 inch wheels on the 3/4 ton. bigger brakes, heavier steering components, heavier duty transmission, all seem to be pluses and make the overall towing experience much more comfortable and safer.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:11 PM   #63

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingMoe
I'm just thinkin' that when you do replace the Denali with a vehicle that could pull the slide-out model, you may regret not upgrading the truck and doing so. That's all.
My Airstream progression. We see 70th Anniversary Classic Slide out at 2001 spring RV show, fall in love and now want an Airstream. Look at price tag on Airstream, can't afford it. Go to dealership look at lower priced Classic. We like it but my 2 year old van can't tow its weight. We compromise and settle on 2001 Safari. No dinette but we can live without, right? Well sort of.

GM offers tremendous rebate on 2003 vans. At spring rally we go to GM van plant for tour. I fall in love with the new vans. I upgrade to a 3/4 ton. Now I can pull that Classic. Get the itch to trade up after I get the bigger van. Maybe find a nice used Classic. Go to dealer rally and see new slideout, end up ordering one.

New plan, will keep this van and trailer for many years.......hmm till wife sees motorhome. Conclusion, stay away from rallys.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 01-22-2004, 12:16 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera
Dips or bumps in the road which used to greatly flex the rear leaf springs on the 1/2 ton only seem to be a minor bump for the 3/4 ton. In addition 15 inch wheels vs 16 inch wheels on the 3/4 ton. bigger brakes, heavier steering components, heavier duty transmission, all seem to be plusesJack
Jack,
The Denali comes with 17 in wheels, huge disk brakes, tranny cooler, and that massive HD suspension for quadra steer.

And, Yeah it's deadly to go to those huge RV shows. I am NOT going to them anymore.

Come rally with us.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:19 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I really liked the 31 better also. Same wardrobe and side bath as the 34. However, my wife was willing to give up my half of the wardrobe and split the bath across the hall to get a dinette. That's why we compromised on the 34
Old 01-22-2004, 07:26 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Bless her heart!

Isn't compromise great!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:21 AM   #67

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee

And, Yeah it's deadly to go to those huge RV shows. I am NOT going to them anymore.
Well I took a new job and work at the Convention facility and indoor domed stadium here in St. Louis. I'm suffering through the auto show right now, 4 exibition halls and the dome floor full of some of the neatest vehicles you have ever seen. Oh my!

Week after next comes the Boat and Sports show and two weeks after that comes the RV show. After that is the Home and Garden show and after that Jack files for Chapter 7.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 01-22-2004, 12:23 PM   #68
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Just for reference a Caddy Fleetwood is suppose to be able to tow 7000lbs with 3.42 and is really the same setup I have, only I'll have 3.73s. I must be one of the slow to realize folks......

I feel your 1/2 ton Denali will be just fine with what you are thinking about Big Dee. As I've said before, with the mass posts via the internet, you have to sift through all the comments and do what you think is best.

My .02 is that I for sure would not do some of the things that some folks do on this forum, like tow with an Intrepid, however, I don't feel that it is a must that anyone towing a 25-30' coach automatically needs to get the biggest and baddest truck out there to do it. I mean look at the 70s and 80s. What do you think they pulled with then....and then they had even less that what's out there today.

Eric
Just for the record, my tow vehicle in the early '80's was a 1974 Gran Torino station wagon with a 400cid, 120hp, and a C6 automatic transmission. I towed a 27' tandem-axle SOB all over the hills of Kentucky, Tennesee, and environs with no problem. Of course, the speed limit of 55mph didn't hurt in keeping up with traffic of the period. If I remember right, I got 13mpg, too.
Terry
Old 01-22-2004, 01:34 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I made my final decsion. I finalized the paper work on a 30' Classic with Hensley. I got the VIN and the talked to the factory. It will enter the production line on 1/27/04 and come off the line in the second week of February. It should be delivered in third week of February. Thanks everyone, especially Maurice & Jack, for all your help! If we meet on the road, I owe you all a cold one.

Come rally with us.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:46 PM   #70

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee
I made my final decsion. I finalized the paper work on a 30' Classic with Hensley. I got the VIN and the talked to the factory. It will enter the production line on 1/27/04 and come off the line in the second week of February. It should be delivered in third week of February. Thanks everyone, especially Maurice & Jack, for all your help! If we meet on the road, I owe you all a cold one.
Thanks for the thanks! Glad to help. I assume that your Classic was already on order by your dealer. My original ordered Classic just got delivered this week to my dealership. I ordered it in early October.

Jack

AIR #56