Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
If you have to ask it probably won't.......
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Tow vehicles don't stop the trailer they're towing. The trailer stops itself. The idea that a larger tow vehicle somehow, magically, has large excess brake capacity is an oft repeated myth on these forums.

In fact, if you want the largest brake capacity available, buy a sports car.
I had the cord to the trailer fail once which left me dependent on the truck brakes to stop the rig at the next stop light. Thank goodness I had 2500HD brakes to stop the truck and trailer. Look sometime at the size of the brakes on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup. They are many times larger than the brakes on a mini van or passenger car. They brakes on these large truck are designed to stop much more than the truck.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #43
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the things you get with a "big truck" is pretty good engine braking. Yes, that has issues. No, it's not worthless. It can indeed take load off of both the trailer brakes and the TV brakes.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Tow vehicles don't stop the trailer they're towing. The trailer stops itself. The idea that a larger tow vehicle somehow, magically, has large excess brake capacity is an oft repeated myth on these forums.

In fact, if you want the largest brake capacity available, buy a sports car.
When all setup properly, I agree with you. The trailer brakes stop the trailer.

There are certainly contingency situations, where the TV may be asked to stop more than its fair share. From the umbilical coming off (or left unplugged), to trailer brakes being out of adjustment, and trailer brakes just flat out failing.

These scenarios aren't as unlikely as they would seem.

I've experienced all 3 to varying degrees:
1) I once left home without my umbilical plugged in. Fortunately, I always manually test the brakes when getting underway, so I was still just a few houses down my street.
2) Having baselined my 10 yr old trailer, I've found the brakes wildly out of preload adjustment (meaning marginal max brake force). I don't think the previous owner adjusted these once! Unless you have the new Dexter never adjust brakes, these are a annual maintenance item.
3) During that same baselining activity, I noticed the lack of brake dust in one drum. Inspection of the circuit showed a shoddy crimp from the factory that led to a kink and break in the wiring. I've heard of others that have snagged the line from various debris and lost the brakes.

Fortunately, none of the specific situations put me at enough risk to lead to an accident. Though it certainly could have in the wrong situation. As much as I don't believe a 3/4 is a necessity, I also know a sports car certainly won't stop the trailer either. Due to lack of mass to control the trailer no matter how good the brakes.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The larger truck has larger brakes which it needs to stop it's extra 2,000 lbs vehion cle weight and perhaps an additional 1,000 lbs of payload in the bed. The modern 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton both have excellent brakes, stopping distances will be similar.

The small Duramax diesel has an exhaust brake switch and our EcoDiesel has automatic turbo vane braking (which can be enhanced with a ECM flash) and computer controlled downshifting of the transmission when towing for good engine braking.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPQUEST View Post
My wife and I are interested in taking the dive and purchasing an Airstream. For many, they choose the trailer first and then find a TV. Others, however, already have a TV and choose a trailer accordingly. We have wants and needs for both trailer and TV and want to know what you all think!

Our goal is to travel and see the US and Canada between 1-4 week trips, pending on the locale. This would primarily be for touisty purposes. An Airstream would allow us to travel at our pace saving on flights, hotels, and the ability to go at our pace and see nature at its finest. However, we wouldn't be kicking back at the campsite. We ideally hope to explore the city or parks or surroundings. This matters when choosing a TV.

Our ideal trailer is the FC 27FB Twin. It has a max weight of 7600lbs but we might travel light. We love the floor plan and my wife loves the kitchen options: she wants the oven AND microwave instead of having the convection microwave replace the oven. If you pulled our teeth, we might could settle for the FC 25FB Twin which has a max weight of 7300lbs but prefer the 27.

Due to our travel habits, the smallest vehicle the better. Due to our needs, we prefer a truck. Remember, we want to explore a city, for example, so no big rigs. You know how you see the big Class A's with like a Prius in tow? Same concept. Our TV is also our explore vehicle. We know for certain we want diesel. Our dream is either the Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon fully loaded with towing capability options with the Duramax Diesel option. They both carry a max capacity of 7700lbs. Yes, that's pushing it but we'd only have the trailer at 6700-7000lbs. Can either of these trucks do it? I've heard that I might need to extend the sideview mirrors to accommodate the trailer. Reviews from groups like TFL give me hope. Do I need a bigger truck? I'd rather not. Remember, I intend to be parallel parking in urban downtowns with this TV.

Thank you so much for reading all of this and giving advice on my dream.
Those trucks are too small for a 27'. You need a 3/4 ton or more, about 400 horsepower, to pull that safely.

Get a short box club cab 3/4 ton if you're worried about parking. I have to look for spaces but I can get around town OK with my F350 crew. If you must have a car, get a Grand Cherokee and a 22'.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:12 PM   #47

Winchester , Tennessee
Hey everyone. Just as an update. Things have drastically changed. We had an opportunity to see a 26U Twin and loved it. Only small thing was that it's a rear bedroom vs front but pros outweigh the cons. Enclosed bathroom. Tons of storage. All three appliances: stove, oven, AND microwave. Options with U-lounge. TV is on hinge so that you can tailgate outside or whatever. Huge solid pantry as opposed to small wired pantry. This looks to be the one!

Now for the tow vehicle. While I'm crushed, I do have to face reality. What I can do isn't what I should do. While we get our finances in order, we have time to acquire the TV. We look to get the trailer in time for Spring, like Easter. I know I need a bigger truck than a Canyon/Colorado. After talking to a motorhead I trust, I am going to take a serious look at the new Ford F-150s. For the first time ever, the 2018 F-150 will have an optional Diesel engine. I'll want to see the specs, reviews, but like the trailer, we may be closing in on the final options.

What have you all heard about the new 2018 F-150 diesel?
CHAPQUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:24 AM   #48
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
The only thing I've heard about the diesel in the F-150 is that it will be a 3.0 liter and will be available sometime in the spring of 2018. That may delay your use of your 26U till you would be able to acquire at F-150 diesel. But I'm sure it will be a great truck.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #49
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
I have towed my 27FB International with an F150, an Audi Q7 diesel, and currently with a Tundra. To each their own, but I would not attempt it with anything smaller. The Audi was great, and by all accounts my setup was safe, but I felt like an ant pulling an elephant.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:19 AM   #50
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Gee.... pick one out on the internet, go look at them all in detail and come back with something completely different ... boy does that sound familiar !!

The whole diesel vs gas thing can get emotional. There are advantages to each. I would stay open to looking at either type of engine. Yes, I have a Ford, it's a fine truck. There are people other than Ford that also make fine trucks .... shop around. You have enough time to take a lot of test rides

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:15 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

Tupelo , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I had the cord to the trailer fail once which left me dependent on the truck brakes to stop the rig at the next stop light. Thank goodness I had 2500HD brakes to stop the truck and trailer. Look sometime at the size of the brakes on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup. They are many times larger than the brakes on a mini van or passenger car. They brakes on these large truck are designed to stop much more than the truck.
The brakes on my wife's 2013 Ford Taurus are 1/2 inch larger than the ones on my F250. Don't know why everyone assumes smaller vehicle equals small brakes.
rvbsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:47 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbsmart View Post
The brakes on my wife's 2013 Ford Taurus are 1/2 inch larger than the ones on my F250. Don't know why everyone assumes smaller vehicle equals small brakes.
Diameter is only half the story. Width is the other part. I assure you the F250 brakes have much more mass to sink the heat from all the converted kinetic energy.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:46 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
talk to Andy Thompson at canamRV in london ON
http://www.canamrv.ca/

we pull a 22Fb with our audi Q5; 5000 lb pull and 500 lb tongue limit

Andy states that we can easily pull a AS 27 with our vehicle,
pull weight no issue (6500lbs)
tongue weight (900lb ), we just need to reinforce our chassis and hitch
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:16 PM   #54
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Here is an article on the Canyon towing an Airstream. This one was a 3.6 Litre. The diesel would be much better.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...wing-test.html

I have driven numerous Canyons with a variety of trailers most harder to tow than an Airstream. I have been pleased with the handling though they do benefit from a tire size tweak, like most trucks. Shocks could be better, like most trucks. Brakes are comparable to larger trucks stopping is a non issue.

My question for the OP is do you want a truck or do you think you need one?

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Buy a used truck and tow for a while. Then sell it and get what you want based on that experience.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote