Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinter
Jack,

The can install an anti-sway device on the hitch, but the guy told me to try driving it first to see how it towed.

M.W.
Well the problem is that I'm concerned that the sway may come at the wrong time. For example you may hook it up empty and it shows no sign of sway. Put a load in it and it reacts differently. Way too late if it starts exhibiting some nasty properties when you start traveling.

Sway can be triggered by situations which may not show on a test tow. Most of us who have towed do not put on sway components because we experienced a problem, we put it on to prevent it from occuring.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #22
_

. , .
link no longer works....

add has been pulled.

why tie up money owning a cargo trailer for one trip, one way?

rent a trailer from uhaul or ryder or another national operation.

sway control can be part of the rental unit.

IF you are gonna tow 2500-3000 lbs with an exploder...

make sure the tires are fresh, well inflated and the brakes current.

take your time. keep the speed under 60 and add some towing mirrors to the ford.

how many boxes of books? the weight adds up quickly.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Myra,
A few more opinions & suggestions:
The 1,700 lbs for the 6x12 SA is average.
With brakes you get the full load rating for what I assume is a 3.5K axle.
The same trailer without brakes is derated to get under the 3K Federal rule that requires brakes for all units rated over 3K Gross Wt. rating.
Having the brakes does add some to the value but unless the west coast effect is that severe, it is overpriced. I have a new 6x12 Pace with some extra options (motorcycle package, 6" extra interior height, torsion axle, etc.) listed for $2,950 + sales tax.
The link to Craigs List was not working for me so I could not see the brand or general condition.
There are some cheaply made trailers out there & you need to be careful.
Does it have a torsion or leaf spring axle? As a general rule the leaf spring axles are standard on the lower end or economy models for the different manufacturers. Even the big companies; Pace, Haulmark, etc. have economy models that have lighter gauge construction & less expensive axles.
Less expensive does not mean they don't work well. A 4" drop, leaf spring axle works great on a 6 x 12. (Usually the 4" drop axle is in place to compliment the ramp door)

Your Ranger: Have a receiver hitch or planning to tow from the bumper?
Hitch is better, bumper for cross country is at max. load rating is not a good idea.
This thing loaded will push you when trying to stop. If the axle has elec. brakes you will need to invest in a brake controller to make them work.
If I were playing Dad in this conversation it would be "Please, please no".
The age of your truck might mean the transmission would be a weak link in towing that far and with that much weight and wind resistance. And if this trailer has a flat or even semi-flat front wall it will add to the hardship of towing, especially at any speed over 45mph. The engine will have to run at a higher temp. while towing, hopefully not to the point of overheating. The 6 cyl. works in your favor. Much better than if it was a 4 cyl.

The Dad in me would suggest - find a good Penske rental agency, rent a box truck for your stuff and a trailer for your truck. If you do break down in the rental at least you have a support system and not out there on your own.

Good luck,
em "Dad" presley

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
I understand the concern. Thank you. What if I get the smaller 8x5 trailer? I'm getting rid of more of my stuff, including my heavy desk, so now everything is very minimal, all light weight. He is selling the 8x5 trailer for $1300. I don't want to rent because I don't know where I'm going. I might end up in Texas for a while and then Virginia and so on, which is why I wanted an Airstream to begin with. I'm starting to feel frustrated and depressed. No Airstream. My stupid truck can't tow anything. And I have to get out of here by midnight Sunday. I'm getting really fed up.

"
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore." - Randy Pausch
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #25
_

. , .
Quote:
What if I get the smaller 8x5 trailer?]
buying and pulling a small single axle storage trailer IS one way to learn about towing issues...

but the hit in gas milage, issues parking, backing up and simply finding a place to sleep/eat while hauling it...

do add to the price...

is it silver?

how about a base camp!

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basecamp.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	37380  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
All the best to Myra in her travels!!!

T
tamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:59 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Quote:
What if I get the smaller 8x5 trailer?

Your ranger will handle the 5 x 8 much better than the 6 x 12.

If you buy the trailer, keep this in mind while loading:
The trailer is built on a 60/40 ratio. Meaning that the axle is probably located about 60% back from the front. Try to load your things with the same ratio,
60% of the weight ahead of the axle, the remaining 40% behind the axle.
Most of the misbehaving (swaying) is caused by improper loading. People will put a lot of stuff in the rear of the trailer, reducing the tongue weight, and then at some particular speed the trailer starts swaying. Same can happen with to much tongue weight. Try not to be extreme one way or the other.

Good luck.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Hi Myra,Sorry to add to your head aches.If your trucks an automatic,you'll have to get a transmission cooler installed before you tow with it. Brian
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
Thanks everyone for your help. I've decided to put my stuff in storage. I think it's just a better solution all around. More adventures to come.

Cheers,

Myra

"
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore." - Randy Pausch
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:38 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Well?!??

Myra -

Where are you??? Seems, after a mad flurry of activity on the site, you have been very busy with other things that preclude your further participation.... Are you still listening but busy with 'else'...?

Update us, if you would...!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
I think she's back in lock-up........

T
tamis is offline   Reply With Quote