Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I've been following this thread closely and had posted to it earlier. We're in the same boat, currently towing a 25'FB with a '13 GMC Denali 6.2L and have done so for just over a year.

There have been many insightful comments regarding wheelbase, proper weight distribution, diesel vs. gas, and even pivot point of the hitch ball that all need to be taken into consideration.

Under normal flat conditions, the Denali is very comfortable, has plenty of pulling power and great engine braking, but based on my experience so far the SUV still struggles in these areas.

Crosswinds still cause the TV and AS to sway, to the point of being uncomfortable. Living in the southwest, the mountain climbs increase the transmission temperature beyond 235 degrees and has even alarmed at 249 degrees in the past.

I'm feeling that the short wheelbase (116"), pivot point of hitch ball (12" back from receiver) and lack of additional transmission cooler are all contributing factors in making travel less than an enjoyable experience.

We're seriously considering moving to the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel or the F150 Ecoboost as we'd like to stay with a half-ton which is well within specs for a 25'FB and hoping that our current problems don't follow us with a half ton tow vehicle.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
I'm feeling that the short wheelbase (116"), pivot point of hitch ball (12" back from receiver) and lack of additional transmission cooler are all contributing factors in making travel less than an enjoyable experience.

We're seriously considering moving to the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel or the F150 Ecoboost as we'd like to stay with a half-ton which is well within specs for a 25'FB and hoping that our current problems don't follow us with a half ton tow vehicle.
If you like SUVs, are you considering a longer wheelbase SUV with a tow package, which would have a transmission cooler? The Suburban / Yukon XL gets great towing reviews (check out Fast Lane Truck), and the new Expedition would have the same Ecoboost as the F-150. I'm not sure how a change to a new SUV it would affect the pivot point, but it would address your other issues. Just curious as to whether you're considering it.
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
abqdor, we have towed in New Mexico a lot and have learned some things. Much of the state is at relatively high altitude. Leaner air taxes the power of a non-turbo engine, it works harder than doing the same job at lower altitude.

But you have the 6.2 liter engine, that should make up for it. Let the engine RPM's go up up as needed to power over those passes, that's where the engine has high torque, it's not struggling. It should also cool better, use lower gears on the transmission to achieve those rpm's. That increased engine speed can also help transmission cooling. For engine compression braking, same deal. Use the lower gears, get the rpm's up, and use the truck and trailer service brakes as needed to assist, that's why you have them.

Stability and sway. The 12" stinger ball to receiver length is too much, you want it as short as possible. Shorten it and redrill it if you can, it will help. Or get a Hensley/Propride hitch, the eliminates the sway leverage to the steering axle altogether, it is stopped at the truck's rear axle. Sure, the rookie can dig up someone somewhere who doesn't like his for some reason, but for every one there are a thousand more who love them. Effortless, comfortable towing that is dirt cheap compared to trading a tow vehicle for this reason. And it will perform as well on any other tow vehicle you may use in the future.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Kerrville , Texas
Tahoe Towing a 28 Foot Airstream

We have been towing a 28 foot Airstream with a 2015 Chevy Tahoe for 18 months and have enjoyed the experience and been comfortable with everything. The Tahoe has the big engine and all the towing features. The trailer has Equalizer 4 weight distribution and sway control. We add McKesh towing mirrors each time we pull the Airstream as the Tahoe does not have a suitable tow mirror. Even on windy days and when being passed or passing 18 wheelers we have never been uncomfortable. When going 65 up a 7 degree or higher grade, we can hold the speed but have the gas peddle pretty close to the floor. Finally, we get 22 miles to the gallon on the Tahoe by itself on country road trips, but that drops to an average of about 11 miles per gallon when towing.
ELSheffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Kerrville , Texas
Towing a 28 Foot Airstream with a Chevy Tahoe

One more thought on towing a 28 foot Airstream with a Chevy Tahoe. We only looked at tow vehicles with an integrated brake control system included. The integrated brake controller works well and we have never had a problem stopping. It is convenient to brake just the trailer in an emergency with a slider on the dash just to the left of the steering wheel.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
But you can. Actually, that outfit that is renting Airstreams is renting them out with Tahoes. What makes you think it can't?

I believe they are renting 25s not 27/28s.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
I've been following this thread closely and had posted to it earlier. We're in the same boat, currently towing a 25'FB with a '13 GMC Denali 6.2L and have done so for just over a year.

There have been many insightful comments regarding wheelbase, proper weight distribution, diesel vs. gas, and even pivot point of the hitch ball that all need to be taken into consideration.

Under normal flat conditions, the Denali is very comfortable, has plenty of pulling power and great engine braking, but based on my experience so far the SUV still struggles in these areas.

Crosswinds still cause the TV and AS to sway, to the point of being uncomfortable. Living in the southwest, the mountain climbs increase the transmission temperature beyond 235 degrees and has even alarmed at 249 degrees in the past.

Problem is that your vehicle is NOT equipped with the "max trailer tow package," which is not available on the Denali trim level. That package includes a numerically higher ratio rear axle (among other things). I have that package on the SLT trim level with the 6.2 liter engine. Pulling my FC 27 in the mountain west in triple digit ambient temperatures never resulted in excessive tranny temps. I now have 57,000 miles on my 2015 truck, more than 30,000 of them towing. The combination has been flawless, although my personal speed limit is 63 or whatever is posted. The 8-speed tranny always finds the right gear; it's hard to imagine a benefit from two more. Under all but extreme circumstances my engine rpm ranges from 1500-2300. Of course if you're trying to pull a big grade at 70, your experience may be different.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
I believe they are renting 25s not 27/28s.
Nope. They are renting 28 footers.

https://airstream2go.com/our-fleet
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:43 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Problem is that your vehicle is NOT equipped with the "max trailer tow package," which is not available on the Denali trim level. That package includes a numerically higher ratio rear axle (among other things). I have that package on the SLT trim level with the 6.2 liter engine. Pulling my FC 27 in the mountain west in triple digit ambient temperatures never resulted in excessive tranny temps. I now have 57,000 miles on my 2015 truck, more than 30,000 of them towing. The combination has been flawless, although my personal speed limit is 63 or whatever is posted. The 8-speed tranny always finds the right gear; it's hard to imagine a benefit from two more. Under all but extreme circumstances my engine rpm ranges from 1500-2300. Of course if you're trying to pull a big grade at 70, your experience may be different.
Which GM is your TV and what kind of range/mpg do you get with the 26gal tank? I am going to the GM dealer today again; also the Ford guy, one more time. I may end up staying with my current F150 EB, with 111k miles now, and saving money as suggested to me earlier in this thread... The 28 is presenting some new challenges for sure!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:09 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Which GM is your TV and what kind of range/mpg do you get with the 26gal tank? I am going to the GM dealer today again; also the Ford guy, one more time. I may end up staying with my current F150 EB, with 111k miles now, and saving money as suggested to me earlier in this thread... The 28 is presenting some new challenges for sure!

GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab with max trailer tow package and 6.2 liter engine: 420 hp/460 lb-ft torque; 8-speed tranny. Rated cargo capacity, per the door sticker: 1940 lbs. In 2015, when I was shopping for a truck, this was a hard to find combination: the max trailer tow package was "order constrained," and I finally found a 6-month old "program vehicle" (used) in Denver. I did the deal by e-mail and phone, flew out to Denver to get the truck and drove it back to D.C. It is fully loaded with every option. Just returned yesterday from a visit to Smokey Mountain National Park, a 500-mile trip. 14.6 mpg for the trip, going 60 mph pulling my FC 27. Best 400 mile average mpg empty is over 24. This has proved to be a great TV if you can find one, especially if you don't want the bulk of a diesel 3/4 ton.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab with max trailer tow package and 6.2 liter engine: 420 hp/460 lb-ft torque; 8-speed tranny. Rated cargo capacity, per the door sticker: 1940 lbs. In 2015, when I was shopping for a truck, this was a hard to find combination: the max trailer tow package was "order constrained," and I finally found a 6-month old "program vehicle" (used) in Denver. I did the deal by e-mail and phone, flew out to Denver to get the truck and drove it back to D.C. It is fully loaded with every option. Just returned yesterday from a visit to Smokey Mountain National Park, a 500-mile trip. 14.6 mpg for the trip, going 60 mph pulling my FC 27. Best 400 mile average mpg empty is over 24. This has proved to be a great TV if you can find one, especially if you don't want the bulk of a diesel 3/4 ton.

I was told today by a GMC salesman that the only way to get a 2017 GMC 1500 with max tow, 8 speed trans, a 6.2 engine is in a Denail. I was also told that as a result the payload is reduced to 1501 lbs. Can anyone verify this for me?
Old 05-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
I was told today by a GMC salesman that the only way to get a 2017 GMC 1500 with max tow, 8 speed trans, a 6.2 engine is in a Denail. I was also told that as a result the payload is reduced to 1501 lbs. Can anyone verify this for me?
I don't think that's true. I was looking for the SLT, and while I couldn't find one with the 6.2L, I could have ordered one. I ended up going with the 5.3L for our 25' AS, and it has plenty of power. Our payload rating is 1920#.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Coopersburg , Pennsylvania
The brochure is here: link

According to page 47, the Max Trailering Package is NOT available on a Denali, but only on SLEs and SLTs. Page 46 has all the payload and towing info - nothing even close to 1500 lbs. (most are 2k+) with that package.
BillF95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #74
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Kerrville , Texas
Fine towing a 28 foot Airstream with a Newer Properly Equipped Tahoe

I posted earlier, but it does not seem to show in this thread so I will post again. We have a 28 foot Airstream and have been towing it for 20 months with a 2015 Tahoe with the big engine and all towing features. We insisted on a integrated brake controller which moved us to the Tahoe as opposed to other possibilities. We add McKesh mirrors. We have had not problems. Going up a 7 percent grade at 65 miles per hour the gas pedal is pushed down a good ways, but we can maintain speed. We have an Equalizer 4 weight distributing, sway control hitch and have not had problems with side winds or passing or approaching trucks. We do feel the trailer a bit, but it is comfortable for us. We get 22 miles to the gallon on country trips with just the Tahoe, and about 11 miles per gallon with the Airstream attached. We love our Airstream, our tow vehicle, and the way they work together.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:40 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELSheffer View Post
I posted earlier, but it does not seem to show in this thread so I will post again. We have a 28 foot Airstream and have been towing it for 20 months with a 2015 Tahoe with the big engine and all towing features. We insisted on a integrated brake controller which moved us to the Tahoe as opposed to other possibilities. We add McKesh mirrors. We have had not problems. Going up a 7 percent grade at 65 miles per hour the gas pedal is pushed down a good ways, but we can maintain speed. We have an Equalizer 4 weight distributing, sway control hitch and have not had problems with side winds or passing or approaching trucks. We do feel the trailer a bit, but it is comfortable for us. We get 22 miles to the gallon on country trips with just the Tahoe, and about 11 miles per gallon with the Airstream attached. We love our Airstream, our tow vehicle, and the way they work together.
That makes sense....one of the reasons I sold my "then new" 2011 Tahoe, was same experience pulling up a 7%grade in Canada...my friend who was traveling with us, had a new Echoboost F150 at the time, pulling identical trailers and he left me in the dust. Since we moved from the Tahoe to the F150 with our 25', no issues. Now however, I am moving to the 28', and looks like a new F250 will be the new TV. I am negotiating price currently on 2017 models..thanks again...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
As of 2015, the max trailer tow package was NOT available in the Denali trim level or the High Country trim level. The 6.2 liter engine is only available in the Denali and SLT trim levels in the GMC and in the High Country and LTZ crew cab trim levels in the Chevy. Therefore, the only trim level that has both the 6.2 and the max trailer tow package is the SLT/LTZ. 1500 lbs payload for a non max trailer tow package 6.2 Denali sounds about right. For the life of me, I don't see why anyone would pay for the Denali over the SLT. Except for the different grill and the all-LCD instruments, everything else you want can be had in the SLT. It's also nice to have real trailer tow mirrors that extend out, rather than stick-ons.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
As of 2015, the max trailer tow package was NOT available in the Denali trim level or the High Country trim level. The 6.2 liter engine is only available in the Denali and SLT trim levels in the GMC and in the High Country and LTZ crew cab trim levels in the Chevy. Therefore, the only trim level that has both the 6.2 and the max trailer tow package is the SLT/LTZ. 1500 lbs payload for a non max trailer tow package 6.2 Denali sounds about right. For the life of me, I don't see why anyone would pay for the Denali over the SLT. Except for the different grill and the all-LCD instruments, everything else you want can be had in the SLT. It's also nice to have real trailer tow mirrors that extend out, rather than stick-ons.

This morning I tried to special order a 2017 Sierra SLT Crew Cab, 2 wheel drive with a standard (6.5) box instead of the short box. I also specified that it should be the 6.2 engine with 8 speed transmission. I was told that the GMC system would not accept those specs. Any advice on where I can verify that vehicle with these specs can be special ordered through GMC?
Old 05-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
This morning I tried to special order a 2017 Sierra SLT Crew Cab, 2 wheel drive with a standard (6.5) box instead of the short box. I also specified that it should be the 6.2 engine with 8 speed transmission. I was told that the GMC system would not accept those specs. Any advice on where I can verify that vehicle with these specs can be special ordered through GMC?
Crew cab standard box is only available with 4WD with the 6.2L

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Crew cab standard box is only available with 4WD with the 6.2L

Well, I haven't been told that but a few minutes ago another dealership sent me an email and told me that those specs could be ordered but only in a 2018 model.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I didn't try a 2018. Gmc.com has a configuator....didn't notice if 2018 was even up yet.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote