Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #141
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
AWD is nice in slippery conditions, campgrounds with wet grass etc. It also helps in winter condtions. On the other hand for the extra cost of purchase, fuel and maintinance with an AWD I could call a tow truck a few times each year.

Front drive or rear drive makes very little difference when towing, if all the other specs are the same then highway handling is pretty much equal. Front drives have a few small advantages over rear drives. Front drives are a little more efficient, the final drive gears are in the transmission so they are cooled and lubed with the transmission fluid so you will never have a Ring and pinion or other rear axle gear problem. When pulling onto a busy road from a gravel driveway you can step on it as soon as the front tires are on the road with rear drive you have to get the entire vehicle out there.

The main reason we started using front drive vehicles 26 years ago was that there were no main stream vehicles with rear drive with independent rear suspension and at that time front drives had rack and pinion steering and shorter rear overhangs.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
It would seem to make sense to pull the train from the far front, as opposed to pushing from the middle at a hinge point.
I'm thinking FWD would be the way to go in the future.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #143
Dia
1 Rivet Member

Coastal , California
Really interesting discussion, everyone. I'm learning boatloads - thanks!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
The issue with front wheel drive is one of tongue weight. This adds dramatically to rear wheel weight even with a weight distribution hitch. And, when driving up a hill, especially if a marginal traction problem is encountered, the weight transfer to the rear will be dramatic resulting in decreased front traction.

Thus, I would vote for rear drive or all wheel drive. And we all have our opinions...LOL
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 10-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
The issue with front wheel drive is one of tongue weight. This adds dramatically to rear wheel weight even with a weight distribution hitch. And, when driving up a hill, especially if a marginal traction problem is encountered, the weight transfer to the rear will be dramatic resulting in decreased front traction.

Thus, I would vote for rear drive or all wheel drive. And we all have our opinions...LOL
Loss of traction, or steering for that matter, has not been my experience over the past three years towing with a FWD TV. I think if you're all set up correctly it makes little difference if you use front or rear wheel drive.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Old 10-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I understand the goal of a good weight distribution hitch is to distribute trailer tongue weight equally to front and rear axles, with some weight going to the trailer axles.

I don't see a loss of traction in that case, except for the extra load of the trailer which we be felt with any drive system. If it's maximum traction you're looking for I suppose AWD is best.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #147
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I don't know what's available now but when I bought my Flex, the Ecoboost came with paddle shifters, while the non-ecoboost flex only has the option of Low gear or Drive and not option to lock out overdrive. you definitely want the option of selecting gears when towing.

On my Flex I can select Drive or Manual with the shifter. In drive, all 6 gear are used. In Manual, I can either shift with the paddle shifters or if I don't touch the paddle shifters the transmission locks out overdrive and shifts automatically through gears 1 to 5. Manual mode also engages hill assist and makes the transmission shift more aggressively.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #148
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
My Flex is a 2010 and I can lock out o-drive.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #149
1 Rivet Member

How to strengthen a Ford Flex factory hitch?

I am looking for detailed photos or advice on the best way to modify a 2013 Ford Flex Limited with Ecoboost to strengthen the factory hitch for towing my 2006 25' International. I wish I was closer to CanAm RV but unfortunately I am not so must get a local shop in Vancouver area to do it. I would like to see some examples or hear the details if possible before I approach some here. Thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #150
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Have you contacted Andy at CanAm? He may be able to assist your local shop with the information that you need.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Towing with the Flex

I guess I am a bit confused. Ford states the 2013 Ford Flex can tow a maximum of 4500 lbs trailer weight and even with a load distribution hitch, a 450 lb tongue weight. So, how does one tow a 25 foot International?

Or, I suppose I am looking for the explanation about capacities by the manufacturer. Just trying to learn something…..
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 11-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #152
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
I guess I am a bit confused. Ford states the 2013 Ford Flex can tow a maximum of 4500 lbs trailer weight and even with a load distribution hitch, a 450 lb tongue weight. So, how does one tow a 25 foot International?

Or, I suppose I am looking for the explanation about capacities by the manufacturer. Just trying to learn something…..
I don't blame you for being confused!

A little bit of background info: There are people on this forum who 1) do not believe in the ratings posted by the manufacturers (for various reasons), or 2) pick and choose which ratings they think is "important" and need to be observed. They believe by "properly setting up" their modified vehicles, they can tow MUCH more than what the manufacturer suggests (I have seen a 7000# trailer being towed by a vehicle rated at #3500).

I have found every section of Airforums to be very useful, EXCEPT for the towing threads. I would take what ever I read there with a huge grain of salt.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Ford states the 2013 Ford Flex can tow a maximum of 4500 lbs trailer weight
Unlike for payload, axle or tire ratings, there is currently no standardized method to determine vehicle towing capacity that is observed by all manufacturers.

Instead, it appears that car manufacturers frequently allocate a high tow capacity to trucks, lower capacities to vans and SUVs for no discernible reason - except perhaps financial.

To give a real world example, a modern Honda or Toyota minivan has similar capabilities to many 1/2 ton trucks, sometimes even exceeding them. Yet you'll almost always find that the truck will have a far higher tow rating, often ignoring the important ratings, like payload.

As a result, there are those who choose to take published towing capacity with a huge grain of salt, instead relying on the experience of those people who have decades of real world experience setting up safe, reliable towing solutions.

Which direction you choose is entirely up to you. I do recommend reading some of the more heated towing discussions, you should find all the information you need to come to your own, educated, conclusion.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #154
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I recommend reading the towing discussions as well.

Just FYI, 1) Both the auto manufacturers and Airstream advise against towing with a vehicle that is not rated (by the manufacturer) to tow your Airstream, and 2) I know of only one RV shop (in Canada) that recommends towing beyond (sometimes twice) your vehicles tow ratings with a modified vehicle -- I am yet to find a single RV shop in the US that makes such recommendations.

I personally take the expertise and advice of the auto manufacturers and Airstream over any RV shop's advice, but you have to decide this on your own.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #155
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I agree that the towing threads (and many others) require a lot of thought trying to determine who to believe. Read enough of them and your mind starts spinning and you might buy a tank just in case.

But, there are some posts that make sense—it just takes time to sort them out.

And, any vehicle can be modified to tow more than the stock vehicle. Then cost of modifying the vehicle may be too much to be practical. And you may have warranty issues because manufacturers are unlikely to want to pay for something different than the original design of the vehicle.

So far as I know only Toyota has accepted the recommendations of the SAE on standards for towing. But, some say SAE is not accurate either. I guess those guys buy tanks. I am unaware of any towing specs for tanks, so be careful what tank you buy. You might try a tank forum for further information.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #156
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I agree that the towing threads (and many others) require a lot of thought trying to determine who to believe. Read enough of them and your mind starts spinning and you might buy a tank just in case.

But, there are some posts that make sense—it just takes time to sort them out.

And, any vehicle can be modified to tow more than the stock vehicle. Then cost of modifying the vehicle may be too much to be practical. And you may have warranty issues because manufacturers are unlikely to want to pay for something different than the original design of the vehicle.

So far as I know only Toyota has accepted the recommendations of the SAE on standards for towing. But, some say SAE is not accurate either. I guess those guys buy tanks. I am unaware of any towing specs for tanks, so be careful what tank you buy. You might try a tank forum for further information.

Gene
A quick note: most of the major auto manufacturer's had input in designing the SAE towing standards. The reason they do not want to implement it is that their vehicle's will be down rated (For example, Sequoia went from 10000# to 7400#). The standard allows the customers to objectively compare tow rating of vehicles by different manufacturers. Right now we cannot do that.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #157
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
A quick note: most of the major auto manufacturer's had input in designing the SAE towing standards. The reason they do not want to implement it is that their vehicle's will be down rated (For example, Sequoia went from 10000# to 7400#). The standard allows the customers to objectively compare tow rating of vehicles by different manufacturers. Right now we cannot do that.
Makes sense...you sure can't trust manufacturers. So I guess the only way we'll really know what we can tow is to continue to listen to the experts that have been towing for like...decades.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Old 11-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #158
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
Makes sense...you sure can't trust manufacturers. So I guess the only way we'll really know what we can tow is to continue to listen to the experts that have been towing for like...decades.
Note that auto manufacturers, almost always, overstate the towing capacity of their vehicles (or else they would embrace the SAE standards with no fear).

I would not put all my eggs in one basket and follow the advice of a single tow expert. I would follow the collective advice of several tow experts, the auto manufacturers (80% rule applied), Airstream, and the hitch companies. But to each their own
Old 11-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I wouldn't call automotive companies tow experts. They may have some working for them, but it's the marketing people who call the shots. As well as those who assign warranties. Brute strength tends to get the nod, often at the sacrifice of good handling/accident avoidance, not to mention your hard-earned money.

Some people have sorted this out and have good results with it, but you better know what you're doing, or seek their advice.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 11-22-2013, 04:17 AM   #160
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Note that auto manufacturers, almost always, overstate the towing capacity of their vehicles (or else they would embrace the SAE standards with no fear).
As far as I can tell, they overstate the capabilities of their trucks, understate those of almost all their other vehicles, like cars, vans and SUVs.
Closed Thread