Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #85
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
They are McKesh Mirrors, I would guess. Sure look like ours, even though ours are almost as old as Henri our TT.

Simple, but they work well.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #86
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
I see you have an SSR, easily the best handling and performing Chev truck I have ever towed with. Loved how it worked.

Andrew T

I've towed all over the country with my 2006 6.0L 6spd manual SSR pulling my 75th Anniversary Prototype Bambi. I had a custom receiver made, and I use a Husky Centerline hitch which is amazingly stable and quiet as can be. I did upgrade the cooling system with a dual Spal fan setup from Colvin Automotive and a Ron Davis racing radiator. I also got rid of the Dex-Clog and went with good old fashioned Prestone (which is the ONLY thing you can use with the Ron Davis radiator or your warranty will be void). I also wired a switch that lets me turn the fans on at will. I changed my rear gears to 4.56 American Axle (from 3.73) because starting off in 1st gear with the stock gears just was near impossible without smoking the clutch. I upgraded the clutch to an LS-7 unit (which wasn't really necessary). I polished the throttle body, put in a K&N filter, and had the truck tuned by PCM4Less for the changes and to uncork the factory LS2 just a bit. The power available even while towing is amazing; of course out west with elevation and ethanol power drops considerably. I can literally fly up mountain passes if I want, but the only possible limiting factor with the SSR is the cooling system due to the space limitations. The amount of heat under the hood is substantial, and pulling a trailer requires you to tow smart and watch the REAL coolant temperature (NOT the dash gauge, which hardly moves and when it does, it can be a 30 degree swing in 1/16 of an inch). Going slow up climbs and taking your time (as in any tow situation) and the SSR is an AMAZING tow vehicle. Cruising through mountains with the top down with a plethora of power on tap if need be is amazing. A truly great tow vehicle, with little to no sway under any situation...despite high winds, trucks, and emergency maneuvers (had to dodge a herd of elk in New Mexico!). Sometimes when towing, you really DO forget the trailer is there. Amazingly stable and easy...it's nice to tow stress-free 99% of the time.

I wouldn't tow with the earlier 2003-2004 5.3L automatic SSR trucks, however...too little power and the amount of heat from the automatic combined with the limited cooling system is asking for trouble. Those trannies NEED an external cooler even when NOT towing. They bake and fail. I would only tow the smallest of trailers with them...with the help of the SSRfanatic website and the engineers there I've thoroughly researched every aspect of towing with an SSR for about 7 years now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	315006_4603853980909_1634617650_n.jpg
Views:	11154
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	182901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120823_142340.jpg
Views:	3763
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	182902  

Old 04-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
In the picture above your Airstream is just sitting on the ball of the Tahoe. Your not actually towing it this way are you?

I just wonder as the Tahoe is sitting level so you must have some serious rear springs in it. Those older 25's had substantial hitch weight.

I see you have an SSR, easily the best handling and performing Chev truck I have ever towed with. Loved how it worked.

Andrew T
The Tahoe is hooked and ready to tow the AS, the Casita is just parked there.

The tongue weight on my AS 25' TW is 440# empty, Its almost as much as my 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe at 460#. It weighs 3250# loaded on tour.

The 13' Casita Patriot Deluxe in the picture has a 250# tongue wt. It weighs 2500# loaded on tour.

Here's a pic of the Tahoe by itself. The springs are the standard leafs for the 2 & 4 door. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same in the Suburban.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tahoe LF.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	182966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3106.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	182967  

2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #88
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Glen

I did not realize you had modified the Airstream, generally 25's of that era were 7-800 pounds. Even with 440 pounds it would be a good idea to add weight distribution and a sway control. It would give you a lot more depth of control should you ever have to avoid something or get hit by a sudden wind sheer.

Also you could possibly adjust your loading to get your hitch weight up closer to 600 pounds. I know percentage wise your hitch weight is fine but you still have the sidewall area of a 25'.

Your tire and wheel combination looks great. We used to make that change to Subs and Tahoes all the time back then.

I hope this helps.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #89
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi ggoat

That is a cool looking combo you have there and you really did a lot of work to the SSR it has to be really hot with those mods.

We only ever set up the one. It was a 5.3 automatic, the customer made 3 trips from here to Southern California and Arizona with it plus some summer trips in Canada and never had a problem with heating. We did add a transmisison cooler. Of coarse the 5.3 would not generate the heat of a 6.0 litre. Today with the torque convertor in lock up mode an automatic transmisison does not generate much more heat than a manual so that likely helped as well. With the 28' performance was very good, easily clean the clock most conventional pick ups with larger engines.

They eventually traded it for a Honda Ridgeline for the back seat space and a little more cab room on longer trips.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Old 04-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
London , Ontario
Saw one at Andy T's on friday getting a hitch put on when picking up our 27fb classic he did up for us.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Those are the Echo Boost numbers the natuarlly asperated model is 262 HP 248 Torque. The Echo Boost tows amazing since it is not using a lot of its power to pull itself but it is also quite a lot more expensive than the naturally asperated model which has more than enough power.

Andrew T
Andrew--
Do you still feel this way about the 262HP vs. 350HP engine? Today, we went and drove a Flex Ecoboost. It is a very powerful feeling car. However, the price difference between regular and ecoboost is huge. Mainly because all the ecoboost come in the Limited model with oodles of features.

I liked the car, and I think it would work for us, but I didn't like the $41k price of the Limited.

What do you think about the normal engine Flex towing a 2012 25' FC? Two people only. Are the hitch mods complicated, or something I can have done locally at a welding shop? We need to be towing over passes all the time here in California. Grades are part of the deal here. The other vehicles I am considering are GMC Acadia, Dodge Durango V6.
Thanks for any comments.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
We need to be towing over passes all the time here in California. Grades are part of the deal here. The other vehicles I am considering are GMC Acadia, Dodge Durango V6.
Thanks for any comments.
If you're considering the Durango V6, try and wait for the 2014 with the 8spd automatic. Done a bit of towing with the new Jeep GC with this combo and it helps response a lot.

Tom
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
If you're considering the Durango V6, try and wait for the 2014 with the 8spd automatic. Done a bit of towing with the new Jeep GC with this combo and it helps response a lot.

Tom
Ahh. Thanks. I prefer to buy something a year or two old, so maybe on that score I'd be waiting till 2016!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Hi Glen

I did not realize you had modified the Airstream, generally 25's of that era were 7-800 pounds. Even with 440 pounds it would be a good idea to add weight distribution and a sway control. It would give you a lot more depth of control should you ever have to avoid something or get hit by a sudden wind sheer.

Also you could possibly adjust your loading to get your hitch weight up closer to 600 pounds. I know percentage wise your hitch weight is fine but you still have the sidewall area of a 25'.

Your tire and wheel combination looks great. We used to make that change to Subs and Tahoes all the time back then.

I hope this helps.

Andrew T
I hope you didn't think the Airstream weighed 3250# !

I weighed my Airstream 25' Trade Wind dry and less battery on the way home after picking it up from the previous owner, It weighed 3650# on the axles and 440# on the tongue.

Humm, For it to weigh 7-8,000# that missing battery must be huge and Lucy must have snuck in a bunch of rocks !

When I get done with my mods it will weigh about 6 - 700# more Dry mostly over the axles.

This is a rear bath front twin bed factory layout.

The bath room will be completely remodeled using nothing from AS, the rear mounted black tank will be gone.

A new 16 Gal. black tank is part of the shower pan.

I'm adding a large Gray tank (30#empty) below the belly pan ahead of the axles.

I'm also installing a washer and a dryer (not a combo unit) and the new heater over the axles and moving the battery forward closer to the rear axle along with a much lighter converter with smart charger ( good by UniVolt ).

The water heater is a lighter 6 gal unit and will be located where the heater used to be next to the 100# lighter new refer just ahead of the axle .

A/C is also going over the axles up top.

All plumbing will be pex , a new water pump and front mounted 30 Gal fresh water tank are going in the stock location. Usually run with about 6 gal.

Stove/oven is replaced with a high BTU 3 burner cook top.

I'll be using only 1 horizontal 30# LP tank.

BTW I already replaced the axle assembles with 3500# units from Inland RV.

The mods will move more weight to the axles and less at the rear end.

When loaded for travel we'll add about 500# through out the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	InteriorFront i.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	183408   Click image for larger version

Name:	InteriorRear i.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	183409  

2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Ahh. Thanks. I prefer to buy something a year or two old, so maybe on that score I'd be waiting till 2016!
Then you might be able to find a Flex Ecoboost that is a SEL rather than a Limited. IIRC, you could get it that way in 2010, but like you said, most were Limiteds. You can also cross-shop the Lincoln MKT.

Tom
Old 04-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Then you might be able to find a Flex Ecoboost that is a SEL rather than a Limited. IIRC, you could get it that way in 2010, but like you said, most were Limiteds. You can also cross-shop the Lincoln MKT.

Tom
Flex SEL w/Ecoboost = still confused on this. Two salesmen have told me that the EB was ONLY available in the Limited. I did search some used car sites and none of the SEL I found had EB. I need to do some more research to be clear on what years, and what models had EB.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Flex SEL w/Ecoboost = still confused on this. Two salesmen have told me that the EB was ONLY available in the Limited. I did search some used car sites and none of the SEL I found had EB. I need to do some more research to be clear on what years, and what models had EB.
I was shopping for a Flex Ecoboost back in 2010 for work. I remember "building my own" SEL with the Ecoboost - but I couldn't find one in stock anywhere. We wound up with the Limited. They might have offered SEL Ecoboost on paper but never built it.

Tom
Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #98
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I have a 2010 Flex, normally-aspirated. From what I gather here, it would be a suitable tow vehicle for a 19' Bambi. Does this sound correct? I would like to hear from Andy or others about the suitability of the Ford Factory Towing Package. Is something I should consider modifying for the setup I contemplate?

Also, I like the idea of buying from Andy. Not only am I proudly half-Canadian (and live part-time within 20 miles of Quetico PP), the Flex is built in Canada!

UB