Old 09-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
How much tongue weight does a 34' have?

Tongue weight pretty much takes all my payload.
I just haul a few sticks of firewood in the truck bed.
I am at the limit, but I don't want another truck.
8 payments left and 29,000 miles.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
How much tongue weight does a 34' have?
Depends on the model. Mine has 625lbs, but they go up to 1000lbs.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Alameda , California
Good question and good place to ask. I'm very grateful for the many experienced travelers here.

I have a 2011 Tundra Crewmax 4x2 platinum 5.7 engine and pull a 2012 28' international. The 28' has a heavy pin weight at 850 to 950 lbs. That eats up a bunch of my payload but I manage it by keeping the inside of the truck for people only and the bed for a small generator, fuel, and bikes. All our gear and clothes etc go in the trailer and learning how to place items for weight helps in the overall safety I believe. We travel with full water too. Nevertheless it's getting close to the published limits so you have to keep an eye on it for enjoying the benefits of this amazing truck and safely towing.

I had a hard stop this summer coming down a two lane highway from Big Trees State Park in the sierras. The small pickup truck in front of me decided to stop all traffic to turn left after missing their turn on a downhill curve. I hit the brakes hard and steady and the rig did great as if I didn't have a 8000# trailer behind me. Of course I have the big tundra breaks, but the brake controller and the airstream brakes worked perfectly. I have a whole new appreciation for each piece of rig and the luxury of shaking my head at the dumb driver in front of me. (And learning to even give even more space while following in this situation).

It's seems you are at some limits with your rig combo. And I don't know the condition of your trailer systems and brakes. Since it is an older trailer I would make sure it's all good and fresh with the best brakes, tires, etc. Then look at how much attention you want to give to balancing the load, driving responsible, hitching, weight distribution, verses a heavier capacity truck that you can attach to the trailer without the bother of these limits. The driver is a big factor in any rig safety.

For me, I've been happy with the Tundra 5.7 4x2 Crewmax. Both towing as a primary and as an extra vehicle around town.

Hope that helps and enjoy your travels.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Vitaminsea mentions towing with his Tundra near the limits. If you are an owner of a Tundra, you should be aware that there is a know issue with the 2007 - 2010 bearing axles wearing down. Apparently this affects both front and rear. There are two separate Toyota service bulletins out on this that say Toyota has addressed this in later year models by using different parts. I just ran into this on my Tundra rear axle when I was 200 miles out of warranty (of course!) and Toyota wanted $1800 to fix it. It manifested itself as a loud whirring noise that progressively got worse over time and was very apparent between 35 and 50 mph. Toyota told me that it was a serious safety risk and wouldn't let me drive the truck until it was fixed.

I might advise that you specifically ask your techs to check for this on both front and rear axles before you are out of warranty. Not sure if weight bearing has anything to do with this but thought I'd mention it in the hopes that I save some others money and give them peace of mind.

I still love my Tundra but it does piss me off that Toyota knows about this issue and has not done a recall on it. They did agree to cover part of the cost of my repair after I pushed the issue but prior to this, I have had great service and I thought this was not up to par for the company.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
To add to my post, the TSB is TS-B 0151-10 and 0151-10 rev 2.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Tongue weights in pounds per the 2011 Airstream specifications sheet:

Classic 27FB 792
Classic 30 773
Classic 31 805
Classic 34 710

Flying Cloud/International 30 880

Note that real world weights could be two to three hundred pounds higher depending on the hitch selected.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Waldorf , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedecanada View Post
I own 34 foot and can tell you that you will not be happy with Toyota pulling that trailer you need 3/4 ton or more suspension and brakes to be happy.
When I bought my 2004 34' with a slide, tongue weigh around 1200lbs, I had to trade, my paid for 2010 Toyota Sequoia 5.8 v8, for a Ford F250. The trailer would push the Sequoia around on turns, and wore out the inside of the back tires on the 6 hour drive home. I don’t even know it there with the F250.

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702
AIR #60387
"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Texas View Post
When I bought my 2004 34' with a slide, tongue weigh around 1200lbs, I had to trade, my paid for 2010 Toyota Sequoia 5.8 v8, for a Ford F250. The trailer would push the Sequoia around on turns, and wore out the inside of the back tires on the 6 hour drive home. I don’t even know it there with the F250.
Well, here we go again. I tow my 34' PanAM with a 2010 Tundra 4x2 CrewMax 5.7L. I do not get "pushed around" or turns or breaking! Google CanAm RV, London, Ontario, CAN. They are the experts on towing and hitch setups. In FACT, they have towed - SAFELY - 34' Airstream Classics with Taurus SHO's and Jags! Anybody getting shoved around NEEDS proper hitch and brake controller to the trailer brakes - not just the vehicle's tow assist. Andy, the owner of CanAm will talk to you and guide you EXPERTLY. He is a liaison to the SAE on the coming 2015 truck towing standards. Standards that Toyota already adopted AHEAD of all other truck builders!!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #65
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
In FACT, they have towed - SAFELY - 34' Airstream Classics with Taurus SHO's and Jags!
Yes, I got my TV and '74 Sov done by Can-Am (and I'm very pleased with it), and we speak from time to time. I did discuss a 34-footer with a S/O and he made it clear that this was over the limit, and off the table. Most of the problem was that it would overload the tongue weight severely.

Andy at Can-Am didn't seem to like the S/O AS TTs much, and I gathered it was from an engineering point of view. I can't speak for him though, so I will leave it for him to comment if he wants to...
Old 10-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Waldorf , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
Well, here we go again. I tow my 34' PanAM with a 2010 Tundra 4x2 CrewMax 5.7L. I do not get "pushed around" or turns or breaking! Google CanAm RV, London, Ontario, CAN. They are the experts on towing and hitch setups. In FACT, they have towed - SAFELY - 34' Airstream Classics with Taurus SHO's and Jags! Anybody getting shoved around NEEDS proper hitch and brake controller to the trailer brakes - not just the vehicle's tow assist. Andy, the owner of CanAm will talk to you and guide you EXPERTLY. He is a liaison to the SAE on the coming 2015 truck towing standards. Standards that Toyota already adopted AHEAD of all other truck builders!!
I did call them, and Andy told me that my 34' Classic Limited with slide-out might be too much for the 2010 Toyota Sequoia, and it was...
But YMMV, best of luck to you.

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702
AIR #60387
"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Do not have a thing against the Tundra. Have friends who tow with them. Parked my dodge diesel next to one at a rally last fall. What I do not see is the real advantage of the Tundra. It was just as tall, long, and wide as my Dodge. It cost more. It gets worse fuel milage. I have 125000 miles with few repairs. So what really is the advantage of towing with the half ton?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Do not have a thing against the Tundra. Have friends who tow with them. Parked my dodge diesel next to one at a rally last fall. What I do not see is the real advantage of the Tundra. It was just as tall, long, and wide as my Dodge. It cost more. It gets worse fuel milage. I have 125000 miles with few repairs. So what really is the advantage of towing with the half ton?
Unless you ALREADY own a 3/4 ton tow vehicle, too many Airstream Newbie's will immediately conclude that they NEED a big truck to safely deal with a Airstream. That makes them pay dearly for more truck than they NEED! The majority of people are not going to need or buy extra big Airstream's, or need a truck that costs more for fuel, as a everyday vehicle. That diesel power plant is a bunch out extra cash just to feel superior for the time that MOST actually USE their Airstreams. The reason Toyota doesn't offer diesel - per my dealer - is that extra power is NOT needed by most people, even guys that grew up with Tonka Toys. Use that money to buy more trailer -- or fuel. Countless Airstream trailers get sold because they really are not used much after being purchased, so why add a costly 'work class' truck to your driveway needlessly?! If you already have a big rig, so be it. If not, don't get one unless it's REALLY going to be put to more than casual use. My Tundra serves as a daily use vehicle. I don't need a 3/4 ton truck to go to the job or shopping.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
So what is the advantage of the Toyota?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
So what is the advantage of the Toyota?
It will LAST a long time AND be much more reliable than other brands. Look how many other brands are traded in for Tundras -- and even Ford had to up their game due to Toyota Tundra!