Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
I have a 2013 F150 Super Crew with the Ecoboost. I do not have the MaxTow package which brings my factory rating down a bit to 9600lbs. My trailer is lighter than yours but only by about 500lbs. I have to be careful how much I put in the bed of the truck (payload) but apart from that I'm happy that I didn't get the Max Tow as it would have impacted my non towing mileage. Your payload is about the same as mine.

While I only just got the 34' a few weeks ago, I did tow my 31' about 1500 miles over the past month. After changing to the 34', there is really not much difference between the two, the 34 might even tow better. I believe that Airstream intended my trailer to be towed by a car (albeit full-size) and I suspect they hadn't changed their thinking with yours.

I think your truck is likely better than any full-size car of that era was. Go for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1987_airstream_brochure004.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	193743  

Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
They'd be the last people I'd ask for advice.

What I saw in the videos was the work of an 'Expert salesman'.
I agree completely. I tow for a living but I would not get in half of these set ups that can am does. He sets up whatever the customer has or wants to tow with with convinces them it is safe. Look thru the forums and research some the threads on what he recomends. The Tundra will tow the camper but I don/t think you will be happy with the combination or it will be safe.I pull with a 2001 f350 with the 7.3 diesel and when I get in the mountains with that kind of load it still works my truck pretty hard. Just remember because you can pull it doesn't mean you can control it or stop it safely.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The Tundra matches up fine. The safe and comfortable will be found in the hitch setup, managing your camping gear and the way you balance it's load, and the way you drive.

We experimented with different style hitches but only found the Hensley or ProPride hitches to be truly safe and comfortable.

Drive according to conditions, shift down and reduce speeds as needed for climbing and descending grades (That's why the transmission is there). Use tow/haul transmission mode and always reduce speeds (a lot) before descending long, steep grades. Slow down and wet or slippery roads. Drive safely to be safe and comfortable; true with any tow vehicle.

Know that you'll get every possible opinion (including this one) on the internet, so use good judgement when deciding.

doug
Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
They'd be the last people I'd ask for advice.

What I saw in the videos was the work of an 'Expert salesman'.
Hmmmm, they're pretty good at it, though, aren't they? Forty years and more in business and world renowned source for towing expertise, including working with Airstream and the Society of Automotive Engineers; I'd take their advice over any of the self appointed experts here.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
As would I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Hmmmm, they're pretty good at it, though, aren't they? Forty years and more in business and world renowned source for towing expertise, including working with Airstream and the Society of Automotive Engineers; I'd take their advice over any of the self appointed experts here.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Another satisfied CanAm customer here. If anybody knows what they're doing, its these guys.

This isn't about making a leap of faith. I've run the numbers on my setup, a Honda Odyssey Touring towing a 1984 34' International - axle weight, total payload, hitch weight, the lot and nothing came even close to being a problem.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
That truck will easily tow that trailer.

One needs to be mindful of truck limits (don't exceed axle or tire ratings) and as with any vehicle combination one needs to set the hitch rigging carefully (weight scale number values). Plenty of threads on the last bit (read through older thread with "Cat Scale" in thread title beginning to end). Pubished figures are estimates compared to real values obtained by weighing. A good hitch set up is dialling it in down to the last bit.

A weight-distribution hitch with integrated antisway (Pro Pride or Hensley the top, Reese Dual Cam a step down, but decent enough), trailer brakes that have been gone through, and probably new tires plus inspection of TT axles for aging, are all part of setting up an older TT.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Orange County , California
Hi Jeremy,

I have a 2008 Tundra...which is pretty much the same as a 2013...and I feel 25 feet is about the limit for me.

Gene
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
This isn't about making a leap of faith. I've run the numbers on my setup, a Honda Odyssey Touring towing a 1984 34' International - axle weight, total payload, hitch weight, the lot and nothing came even close to being a problem.
I am curious, Andy. What are the numbers on your setup?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
I am curious, Andy. What are the numbers on your setup?
The 1984 34' International weighs in at 6200lbs (empty), about 7000lbs ready for travel. The tongue weight comes in at approx 700lbs when fully loaded, 625lbs empty. We don't carry heavy stuff like generators, extra gas, firewood, extra water or huge bbqs.

The total payload for the Odyssey is 1380lbs, distributed fairly evenly over both axles.

So even with a fully loaded trailer, I still have approx. 700lbs in payload left. To put this into perspective, the Toyota Tundra, heavily pushed as a TV by Toyota with a tow rating just under 10,000lbs, has less payload (crew cab) than the Odyssey.

The Odyssey is fitted with a custom strengthened hitch and a transmission cooler. I use a Hensley hitch.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Thanks. What is the GVWR and the GCVWR of the Odyssey?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with Gene. I pull a 26' Argosy with my '08 Tundra Double Cab, 2 wheel drive.
There is no way I would tow a larger trailer. While the truck has plenty of power, far exceeding the '98 Dodge 3/4 ton it replaced. It's also far superior in the handling arena.
If I had a coach that is 30' or longer. The minimum for me would be 3/4 ton and perhaps a 1 ton. Depending on the specs. The longest wheel base available.
The heavier and longer the TV, the better the stability in my opinion. Although it can be a challenge in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
It's not the pulling capacity that concerns me. It's the ability to make the trailer go where you want it to and stop it in a hurry when necessary.
If an 8,000+# trailer gets into an argument with a 5,500# truck. Which one will win? The heavier one every time.
It's too bad Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton truck. What a truck it would be.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Thanks. What is the GVWR and the GCVWR of the Odyssey?
This thread is about Tundra/34" Airstream. Skewer the Odyssey on another thread.

doug k
Old 08-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
This thread is about Tundra/34" Airstream. Skewer the Odyssey on another thread.

doug k
Who said anything about skewering the Odyssey? I just want to know what the weight ratings are. Your accusations are uncalled for.