Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #1

San Antonio , Texas
Can a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Tow a 1976 31' AS Sovereign?

Hey so I bought a 1997 F250 diesel to tow my airstream but, the trucks old and things seem to keep breaking, on top of fuel prices and the fact that it's not real comfortable to commute into work everyday kind of makes me want to trade for something else. I was shopping around and found a real nice real simple 2002 silverado 1500. It would be a lot better daily driver but still give me the utility of a truck. I just don't know if it can tow my airstream? The sticker on the bumper said that the hitch was rated for 5000lbs with 1200lbs on the tongue...I have a 1976 Airstream Sovereign that's 31 ft long with dual axles. I take short couple hour trips no more than a few times a month, and I will typically do a bigger trip (8+ hrs) every 2-3 years. Does anyone else have a similar situation or recomendations on my situation? I know ideally I would have a bigger truck, but I can't exactly afford the newer diesel trucks.
seanfitz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Canora , Saskatchewan
Hi Seanfitz24
Perhaps the following will be of some use to you.We have a 2009-28 ft Flying cloud, we pull this unit with a 2003 F150 Supercrew with a 5.4 L Triton engine . Since it is a Lariat with the factory tow package, it has Disc brakes on all four wheels and has 3.73 gears. I have added dual exhausts ,K&N Free flow air cleaner system,this does not mean just changing the air filter,but rather the whole intake system from the aircleaner to the throttle body.We have also added an extra leaf in the rear spring , overload springs in the rear and changed the tires to 10 ply tires all around. We do not use the overdrive when towing.We average 10-13 mpg ( Cdn Gal ),driving at 55-60 mph.The truck rides rather rough when not towing,however this unit is only used for trailer towing.We have been using this unit for the past 4 years at altitudes ranging from sealevel to 8000 ft. When we are in the mountains we use premium gas. Hope this info will be of use to you.
MervM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Greetings. I tried looking up the truck you mention but there were four different engines and also two different transmissions that year and that would certainly make the towing capacity vary depending on what your '02 truck would be equipped with. The Airstream is amazingly lightweight for its size - dry weight 5065 lbs and a tongue weight of under 500 lbs - for a 31' GEEZ! There is no gross weight listed that I could find but all of that should be considered.

I have a GVWR of 7000 lbs on the trailer and my truck works well with it with a rating of (towing) 8100 lbs as per the door sticker.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Maybe, depending on where you plan to travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanfitz24 View Post
Hey so I bought a 1997 F250 diesel to tow my airstream but, the trucks old and things seem to keep breaking, on top of fuel prices and the fact that it's not real comfortable to commute into work everyday kind of makes me want to trade for something else. I was shopping around and found a real nice real simple 2002 silverado 1500. It would be a lot better daily driver but still give me the utility of a truck. I just don't know if it can tow my airstream? The sticker on the bumper said that the hitch was rated for 5000lbs with 1200lbs on the tongue...I have a 1976 Airstream Sovereign that's 31 ft long with dual axles. I take short couple hour trips no more than a few times a month, and I will typically do a bigger trip (8+ hrs) every 2-3 years. Does anyone else have a similar situation or recomendations on my situation? I know ideally I would have a bigger truck, but I can't exactly afford the newer diesel trucks.
I towed two different, a 1970's and a 1980's, 30' Excellas with a 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4. From my experience this is my opinion: IF the 1500 truck you are looking at has the factory tow package, and IF it has a v8 engine, and IF it has an automatic transmission, it would be ok to tow the 31' trailer IF you stay in the flat lands. That 1500 truck is not heavy enough to tow that trailer in the mountains. Transmission will overheat going up and the brakes will overheat going down. Also, if the truck is two wheel drive you can get stuck in the grass if there is a heavy dew and a slight grade.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have towed in the Appalachian "hills" with a 5.3l with both 3.73 and 3.42 (with 6 speed, though) and TOW PACKAGE. It's fine. No trans overheat....not brake overheat. ROCKIES?????? Another story....I agree with the above.

However, taking it slow, adding a trans cooler, using a lower gear to "creap UP and DOWN, it is OK....if you can live with that.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Asheboro , North Carolina
Back in "the day", I pulled a '73 - 31' excella with a '78 GMC 1-2 ton pick up. 350 engine, 3 spd automatic, 3.73 gear with an aux fuel tank. Used a reese hitch. We went to the NC mountians often. Up I40 at Black Mountian and I77 at Fancy Gap. The two steepest grades on the east coast. All was fine at about 45-50 mph. Flat land to Florida 65mph no prob. With a proper hitch set up and a trailering pkg, any modern 1/2 ton exceed the '78. Im all for more if you want it. But what you propose will be fine.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have towed my 1986 Sovereign 31' about 60000 miles over that last eleven years with my 2004 Nissan Titan two wheel drive half ton ( the truck just passed 187000 total miles).
I have never had a problem climbing any grade, anywhere - simply dropped to 3rd and moseyed up at 3800 rpm or so. Coming down, you simply manage your momentum. 11 miles per gallon on average. No major maintenance, never quit.

My only upgrade was to add slotted/dimpled front rotors.

Granted, I am payload restricted. I have about 350 pounds left after tongue weight and people. So I don't get to bring everything I might want.

Having said that, my truck is rated to tow 9500#. Yours, it seems is rated at 5000# and that is a significant difference.

Good luck,

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Yes, I have a 2012 Chevy Suburban 1500 and tow my 1976 31' Sovereign where ever I want to go with no problem what so ever. Prior to this i had a 2010 Suburban and since I usually trade ever 3 or 4 years i had an early 2000 Suburban somewhere along the line. Get a good weight distribution hitch, a good brake controller then hook it up and go. You you don't the biggest diesel truck to pull your Airstream. What do you think they towed these trailers with back in the 70'.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Can a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Tow a 1976 31' AS Sovereign?

Your trailer is light for its size, with a WD hitch the 1/2 ton will work fine. (Assuming the truck is equipped with a V8)

Get a better hitch receiver though.

Consider my opinion that, tires aside, factory tow ratings are derived as much by the marketing department as the engineering department)

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1500, sovereign