Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Kristen, 2005 4runner reviews look OK. You would be pushing the limits a little if you take into account the stuff that you bring along while camping like food, water and bikes etc. With four wheel vented disk breaks you should have the stopping power. With the short wheel base a good anti-sway hitch will be in order.

I'm curious what years Road Ruler is talking about. It seems this generation is allot better than the 90s version for towing.

Just some thoughts. Continue to do your research and see what you come up with. Good luck!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post

I'm curious what years Road Ruler is talking about. It seems this generation is allot better than the 90s version for towing.
Best to check with the Andrew T. Here is a post (#13) where he talked about it on the forum.... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post568122
Old 05-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
Well, I made a spread sheet and guess-tamated all the stuff that would go in the TV and in the TT, and looked up all the weights and considered tongue weight, etc etc. Looks like I wouldn't be allowed to have a passenger with the 4Runner... and the tow capacity is about 77%-- a little high. The Expedition passed my spreadsheet test, as did the Grand Cherokee Limited (I was looking up 2006 models, as I am buying used). I appreciate all the help! More test driving to do tomorrow!

P.S. Saw a lovely AS today. Getting very close!!
kristen_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Also realize that the numbers may or may not have anything to do with how well a vehicle will handle the trailer. The Grand and the newer Expeditions (with IRS) when set up optimally have good approval ratings and handle well.