Old 06-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Lilburn , Georgia
<<need to name him/her>> I guess you will need to confer with all these Airstream people as to how to determine gender.But after that, how about a name like Ice Box, or Ice Cube Tray like the Rapper. Hmmm! maybe Tin Can. Than you can change the street you live on to Tin Can Alley.

OKAY, how about Bucky's House after that intrepid inventer Buckminister Fuller. R. Buckminster Fuller / - Design/Designer Information or YouTube - Unvelling of Dymaxion Car - Bucky Fuller OR, maybe just Bucky.

Make SURE you get those seat belts installed though. This thing looks like a handful to operate.

The Deuceman

Old 06-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grosse Pointe Park , Michigan
Now that's the big, meaty reply I like. I am going to print it out for reference. We are also planning on spending as many hours with the seller as possible for our tutorial and if he doesn't object, videotape him.Then, we are hoping to find someone (a pro) to come over and do the lessons all over again. Not that kind of pro. Then, we're going to take her somewhere official--probably Airstream factory in Ohio, not far from us, for a thorough inspection and the seatbelts. While I'd rather my first trip not be 3 hours from here, it is the Mothership and we need those belts.
As for the engine, I'll get a picture when we go for our lessons. I can tell you from the invoices that the old engine was totally removed and replaced with a rebuilt Isuzu 6BDIT (?) from AIS. That was about 1000 miles ago and cost about 10,000$. Then I see that the cylinder head was rebuilt and parts replaced (seals, springs, valves) last year. Also, in December 2008, I see a new Alt. Assembly w/Pump, battery isolator and other electrical stuff was done. Lots of other stuff, but too much to list here.
Anyway, thanks for the well written advice, I will heed your advice and will always take some more. Thanks very much.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #17
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Someone heated that engine up; looks like the previous owner stepped up to the plate and did it right.
With a fresh engine, the transmission and rear end (do you have a over/under drive?) will be suspect next.
Drain the fluids, hope for the best; it's not a fast machine, ease it off the line to avoid wear. It is a jewel of a mo/ho when you can get the service history, did you get any service manuals? Have someone check those air bags on the back and the compressor under the roadside bed; they did not work well and we now have exterior air fills like I've seen on later mo/ho units.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #18
Since 1958

Currently Looking...
Del Mar , California
Thumbs up Kudos, Dueceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubleDeuce View Post
<<We are very excited to get going.>>

You have a VERY nice piece of equipment there swanky. But I want to WARN you of a common pitfall that many new motor home owners have fallen prey to, complacency.

There seems to be two areas that this complacency falls into, vehicle speed and understanding your equipment. Most people who are purchasing a motor home for the first time believe that its' operation is on the order of their car or SUV. NOT A CHANCE.

You are operating a hybrid design of a vehicle. (don't get all excited, it AIN'T like a Prius). By hybrid design I mean that the chassis-frame, tires, brakes, engine, transmission, etc are built to the arbitrary needs of a light duty truck while the body (Airstream) is built to another set of arbitrary standards. By NO MEANS do the two manufacturing entities ever get together for a brat and a beer to discuss how best to deal with each others problems. As such, you have two different kinds of manufactured products and no real commiserating between the manufacturers.

The Deuceman

Probably the best discourse I've seen advising a new RV owner to reality...

Kudos, Dueceman
Old 07-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Lilburn , Georgia
Thank you Automobilist:

I am a BIG fan (fanatic?) of diesel power in a motorhome. But certain "events", conditions, and situations have conspired these past 20 years to help TIP the balance of power (no pun intended) back to the gasoline engine as a serious contender for motorhome power, at least in the lighter weight series of product.

Although a gasoline powered Airstream Coach is not a rareity, having them done up correctly (engineering wise) is about as probable in the gas version as in the diesel version. I worked in the gasoline to diesel repower market in the late 70's and early 80's. I KNOW where MOST of the bones are buried.

We (DMC Atlanta) are in the middle of a VERY grand plan to convert an Airstream (380) back over to a gasoline engine. I can assure you it will be NOTHING like you have even seen before (at least not in an Airstream Motor coach). Yet, you will also not find any EXCEPTIONALLY new technology either. What you WILL find is exceptiional workmanship and creativity coupled with common sense engineering and an intense appreciation for the needs of the motor home operator as it pertains to power, economy, longivity, and serviceability.

If this "package" performs up to my initial specifications of 12.5 MPG and a GCVWR of an honest 16,000 lbs. (I have NEVER missed a performance spec yet) I think there will be a case to be made for conversion from the Isuzu BD series of engines back the gasoline package. This could (with the REDUCED cost of reconverting back to a gasoline engine) prolong the life of the older Airstream coaches another 10-15 years. I am loathe to want to go too far out in time as the Airstream body DOES sit on a questionably modified GM motorhome chassis. I was apaled at the methodologies used to get this frame package up and running but thankfully MY name ain't on the signature signoff sheet as engineer of record.

I will be sharing some of the repower ideas with this forum as they are made available to the camera and the computer along with a running description of what is going on. I hope this site will benifit from the work and see a reasonable 'out' for thier deterioating, tired, and progressivbely unservicable diesel powered rig.

The Deuceman
Old 07-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #20
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
About time for you to register as a vender. Get spell check, by the way.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Lilburn , Georgia
<<About time for you to register as a vender.>>

WHY would I want to do that? I am NOT selling anything. BTW, the word is VENDOR.

The Deuceman

Tags
tow vehicles

« Towing | Top | 2WD or 4WD »