Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #41
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Smile

I'm biased.

When I worked construction I used to drive a truck with a cap. I remember what a pain it was crawling over things to get to things. Seeing out the back, forget it. Sure more dry room, just equals more room to pile stuff up.

I decided from the get-go no camper shell. And ended up getting a Dodge Ram with the side cargo box setup. VERY COVENIENT.

Then I slapped a Bakflip Tonneau cover on the rear. I load light and still have room for all the stuff we haul. Stroller, generator, two gas tanks, grille and my tools.

And yes, the Honda fits under the Tonneau fine. I'm thinking of building a slide out tray perhaps.

I use the bed divider that came with my truck to keep things that come out the least towards the front.

Just my two cents.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-10-17.46.46.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	224252  
Old 10-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I'm biased.

And yes, the Honda fits under the Tonneau fine. I'm thinking of building a slide out tray perhaps.

I use the bed divider that came with my truck to keep things that come out the least towards the front.

Just my two cents.

You got a bed divider with your truck? That sounds nice. I use 2x4's which always slip out of the bedcover slots.
Akronguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #43
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronguy View Post
You got a bed divider with your truck? That sounds nice. I use 2x4's which always slip out of the bedcover slots.
I think it's an accessory from Ram/Dodge, that was probably available as an option.

This is kind of how I use it:

It also unfolds and acts as a bed extender:

It compresses tightly against the bed walls.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #44
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Mine came with LEER topper (no side glass) and plastic bedliner. Tubs with lids hold all. Stackable. Load Locks keep in place. Easily reconfigured

FYI. The only aero topper slopes DOWN towards tailgate. That, with a liftae top and bedslide would be a great setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Quote:
I think it's an accessory from Ram/Dodge, that was probably available as an option.

This is kind of how I use it:

It also unfolds and acts as a bed extender:

It compresses tightly against the bed walls.
Nice option!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Mine came with LEER topper (no side glass) and plastic bedliner. Tubs with lids hold all. Stackable. Load Locks keep in place. Easily reconfigured

FYI. The only aero topper slopes DOWN towards tailgate. That, with a liftae top and bedslide would be a great setup.

Do you have a pic of this setup?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #47
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I just bought an ARE cap that is just slightly raised but still fits in garage. Ordered with Windoors (windows that open hinged at top) works great for me along with that hooked pole.

One warning, just because they sell a cap doesn't mean they know how to wire it correctly. Nope, been there done that had to redo their crude connections to prevent harness damage. Details if requested.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:31 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We are looking at the Leer "122" (see link, below) for our 2008 Tundra CrewMax, short-bed, pickup:

http://radcotruckaccessories.com/images/F76147608.jpg

Does anyone have one of these? Also, will it fit in most garages, including underground parking garages?

The A.R.E. "TW" bed cap is similar. Does anyone have one of these? Also, same questions as above:

http://www.jamesgroff.com/images/DSCN0853sm.jpg

Note: These photos are for illustration purposes only. These are from a Google search, and they do not belong to me.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:20 AM   #49
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronguy View Post
Do you have a pic of this setup?

Of mine or of an "Aerocap"?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
We are looking at the Leer "122" (see link, below) for our 2008 Tundra CrewMax, short-bed, pickup:

Does anyone have one of these? Also, will it fit in most garages, including underground parking garages?

The A.R.E. "TW" bed cap is similar. Does anyone have one of these? Also, same questions as above:

Note: These photos are for illustration purposes only. These are from a Google search, and they do not belong to me.
Both of those MIGHT fit in a house garage if on a 1/2 ton pickup, but I will guarantee you they will NOT fit in must underground parking or a house garage if on a 3/4 ton pickup.

I have this Leer 100XL on my Dodge Ram 3/4 ton and it just goes into the garage with 1 1/2" clearance: 100XL

And I have lowered the rear of my truck by 1 1/2" from stock height by removing three 1/2" raising blocks the factory installed. I have no idea why the truck manufacturers continue to build trucks taller and taller. Maybe because Bubba likes them that way?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

If you can, get the height of the shell off the website or call the manufacturer. Then, measure the height of your truck from the ground to the top of the bedrail. The total should be under 7' to fit in many parking garages, and under 6'6" for the rest. I have seen very few parking garages under 6'6" and if they are that low I would want to park in them anyway.

I have a higher than cab height leer model 180 on my F250 4x4 and the total height is 7'1" which includes the 1" brackets for the Thule Racks that I can mount on top.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
I'm biased.

When I worked construction I used to drive a truck with a cap. I remember what a pain it was crawling over things to get to things. Seeing out the back, forget it. Sure more dry room, just equals more room to pile stuff up.

I decided from the get-go no camper shell. And ended up getting a Dodge Ram with the side cargo box setup. VERY COVENIENT.

Then I slapped a Bakflip Tonneau cover on the rear. I load light and still have room for all the stuff we haul. Stroller, generator, two gas tanks, grille and my tools.

Just my two cents.

If you are adding a bed slide any way, suggest that you maximize the storage per sq ft of footprint using a topper instead of a TC. The tonneau was nice, but we found that neither I nor DW are tall enough to reach over the side of the box and into the cargo area to retrieve anything... which makes the point of access with the TC moot.

So, with a bedslide installed, I bring all the cargo to me via the end / tail gate and upgraded to an EU300iS (which would not fit under a TC). The cab high choice of topper allows convenient storage in my garage for the topper equipped 3/4 T.

We have a ceiling mounted electric winch in the garage that makes quick and easy lifting for removal of the topper (via factory rails on the topper) if we need to carry tall cargo.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Mount Aukum , California
My 2 cents; go with a camper shell. I bought a Snugtop for my '13 Ram, and I am not happy with it, so I recommend a LEER (which I had on my '02). Another note, Dodge at some point changed the Bright White paint and neither LEER or Snugtop got the memo; both do not match the paint color. I had to send my Snugtop back with my fuel door as a sample to get repainted. It's better, but still not a perfect match.
bird_dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Years ago (pre Airstream and RV) I owned a Leer cap on a Ford Ranger which was high quality.

When I purchased my F250 tow vehicle in 2011, after considerable research I decided to go with the BakFlip F1 folding tonneau cover which I liked very much until it started leaking. Over time the leaking became severe. At the two year mark I contacted the factory and after submitting photographs documenting the problem, BakFlip sent me a new cover under warranty which leaked. They then sent new rails and the leaking did not improve despite numerous attempts to adjust the cover and add weatherstripping to perceived gaps. I finally gave up and decided to try a cap.

After considerable research and conversation with fellow Airstream owners who were satisfied with the brand I bought a Leer 100XL cap. The cap arrived and the paint was almost a perfect match. Once installed it didn't look like it fit the truck bed well. There were gaps of different widths on the side and a gap between the rear window and the weatherstripping. After fiddling with the cap (unsuccessfully) the dealer asked me to ride around with it for a week and let it adjust to the truck.

A week passed and there was no improvement. I brought with me to the dealer 1 1/2 pages of multiple measurements of fit issues plus photographs of the side windows that were not set properly into the molded indentions in the sides as well as the 1/2 gap between the rear window and the weatherstrip. The dealer looked at the cap and my paperwork and determined the cap didn't fit because the truck bed wasn't square so there wasn't anything he could do. Having read on internet forums some Leer caps don't fit because its factories sometimes use the fiberglass molds too many times, I insisted the cap be returned to the factory. I pointed out to the dealer he had measured my truck for the cap at the time I ordered and could have determined if the bed wasn't square at that time if he thought it might be an issue. I also told him I would call the credit card company and contest the charges if he refused to send it back. After accusing me of being "too picky" he took the cap off the truck and agreed to send it back for "evaluation" by the factory.

Two weeks later, having heard nothing, I started calling the dealer and the Leer factory rep for the area. Neither would return my phone calls. After another week and a half, an envelope with a refund check in it arrived from the dealer. No note, just a check which I immediately cashed. As a side note I did take my truck to the Ford dealer service department where they checked the square of the bed and found it was within 1/4 of a inch on the diagonal measurements. The service manager also measured several of the new trucks on the lot and found mine was closer to square than most of the new ones.

On to ARE, my second choice. When the two local ARE dealers wouldn't negotiate off list price I found a dealer 90 miles away who carried both Leer and ARE and who would discount. I ordered the cap. Two weeks later it arrive and the color match was almost perfect. Unfortunately there were two small scratches in the paint near the rear window from transit. The dealer offered to touch them up, give me a discount, or send the cap back for repainting. I chose to send it back. Two weeks later, the cap returned and was installed. A week later, after a heavy rain, I noticed the rear hatch window was leaking. I called the dealer, he asked me to bring it back. Upon return he accepted the problem was his, offered to fix it at the shop or return it. I asked if he fixed it and it continued to leak if he would then send it back. After he said yes I told him to go ahead and attempt the repair in his shop. An hour later the repair was finished and three weeks later there have been no more leaks despite some very heavy rains.

Lear versus ARE impression. From my perspective the fit and finish of the ARE cap is much superior to the Leer on my F250 although I strongly suspect I had a defective Leer cap. The dealer I'm working with now who sells both brands agrees and says both factories occasionally ship out a defective unit but when the units are "good" from the factory the quality is comparable. I also like the operation of the front removable window of the ARE better than the Leer as well as the interior full bed length LED strip lighting option I selected (not available on the Leer).

Folding tonneau cover versus cap impression. I like not having leaks in the truck bed. I also like having extra storage space under cover in the bed. Working inside the bed is a little more awkward with a cap than the folding tonneau since I can't stand up in the bed. I have a BedRug installed in the truck bed, which has a foam cushioned layer under the tough durable carpet, so moving around on my knees is not a hardship. I miss the flexibility of being able to use the open bed with the BackFlip but having the extra storage space under cover more than makes up for the inconvenience. If in the future I need to transport something too tall to fit under my cap in the truck bed, I'll just rent a utility trailer. The added weight of the cap versus tonneau cover did require me to adjust my Reese hitch which was a bit of a challenge. However, based on the overall experience so far I'm happy I switched to the cap. Photo of the ARE cap on the truck is below.

My general conclusion is the choice of dealer is as important as the choice of cap. If there is a problem, and the dealer is not customer service oriented, the consumer is in for a major fight to resolve the issue. Whatever you buy, find a dealer who will stand behind the product and take care of problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4885 - Version 2.jpeg
Views:	823
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	224428  
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
We've used a Tonno Pro cover (www.tonnopro.com/tonnofold.php) on both our Tacoma and our Tundra, and love it. It's relatively inexpensive (and cheaper from Amazon), it works well, and it's easy to take off if you need the whole bed for carrying ATVs, motorcycles, etc. When we take our longer Airstream trip next summer we plan on putting an ARE cap on. I like their overall quality better than Leer, and for the long trip we'd like to be able to carry bulkier items that wouldn't fit under the fold up cover.
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Okay, so what do the "Swiss" owners say? I can get a Swiss fiberglass shell for $1049 + tax installed. This is their cab hi model. For 100 dollars more the S-11 model ( the rear part of the cap is higher). Anyone have one ?
Old 07-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I am still on the fence.
A Century Ultra cab high cap weighs 200#.
A Bakflip G2 hard folding tonneau weighs 55#.
This is a consideration on an already maxed out 1/2 ton truck.
Should I worry about it?
The cap would hold more stuff (further overloading the truck) in the truck bed and kayaks/canoe on the roof. Bikes might can be stored upright in the cap.
The tonneau would hold less stuff in the truck bed. It is possible to still haul canoes/kayaks with a ladder rack type apparatus.
The cap with roof rack and the tonneau with a ladder rack cost about the same money.
The tonneau alone costs less than a cap.
Hmm...
The truck doesn't seem to know or care if it is overloaded. I know. I know the numbers.
Either option will hide/secure/protect stuff in the truck bed.
1/2 ton towers please chime in.
My boss has had the cab high cap with roof rack on all of his trucks- 1 half ton and several 3/4 tons- but he doesn't tow a travel trailer- he has a Tiffin Phaeton Class A diesel pusher.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Hmm...
A post above makes me think I should get a cap.
The Bakflip leaks apparently.
Also, at one of the local truck accesory shops, a hard tonneau has been returned that leaked and got full of water and got really heavy. I guess a leak developed around the edge and filled the cardboard honeycomb stuff between the 2 layers of ABS plastic with water.
That adds a third option: A Century Cargolid hard solid one-piece matching paint tonneau which weighs 100#.
Hmm...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yet another option-
Undercover black plastic one piece tonneau cover- 58# or so.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Kingston , New York
We have a Diamondback cover and really like it. Seals, locks, removes in seconds, allows partial open, allows for tie-downs for "on-top" storage, etc.

Just a thought -
WBCCI #6370
Moo1822 is offline   Reply With Quote