Old 10-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have one of these, which looks like a factory "trunk lid":

LT Sport Tonneau Covers - The aluminum truck bed covers by Lazer Lite

Everything is out of sight, dry and secure. However, our Tundra isn't a work truck. We use it like a tall, wide limousine, when we aren't towing.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Anybody ever had one of these? This would allow for me to carry my scooter and then have some "out of sight-out of mind" security and weather protection.

Softopper Collapsible Folding Retractable Truck Bed Cover Camper Shell Truck Bed Covers

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St Cloud , Minnesota
As I sit here waiting to move my neighbor's trailer on a rainy morning, I'm remembering that it is very challenging to back up in the rain with the camper topper on my truck. Not only do you have two additional foggy windows to peer through, but my unheated rearview mirrors are also temporarily useless.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Anybody ever had one of these? This would allow for me to carry my scooter and then have some "out of sight-out of mind" security and weather protection.

Softopper Collapsible Folding Retractable Truck Bed Cover Camper Shell Truck Bed Covers
Looked at your info. Interesting, but they don't make one for my truck.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I have both. I have an ARE topper on my 1999 Silverado extended cab, which I usually do not use for towing, other than a utility trailer. What is nice about it is the fact I can ride dogs back there. I opted for the optional rear door hatch... it looks like a door (opens to the side), and extends to the bottom of the hatch. The hatch also opens as well. What is nice about it is the fact that you can see through the glass door where a tailgate would be. That said, the extended cab makes it a tad harder to get that viewing angle. The dogs like the easy entry and viewing out the back too! Here's a link to the "Walk-In model": http://www.4are.com/product/walkin/ With the hatch up, its easy to load the bed beause the tailgate isn't in the way. It generally feels lower than lifting over a tailgate as well. I think the issue with the tailgate hitting the trailer jack may be alleviated as well. The hatch makes a nice rain/sun shield as well. I like to use the bed as a workbench for that very reason. The door makes quick access easy and is useful when someone parks behind you at the Home Depot and you just want to pop a few dirty items in the bed without worrying about dropping a tailgate.

My other vehicle is an Escalade EXT with the hard three piece cover. Love it too, but the dogs have to ride in the crew cab. Visibility is not an issue as it has a rear view camera. I can also attach a Yakima rack to the three piece cover by slipping clips under the cover from the side and supporting the towers directly on the cover itself. Very sturdy and has a variety of uses. What sets this vehicle apart is the midgate which allows easy access to stuff in the front of the bed from the inside of the crew cab. Use action packers for quick loading/unloading. Don't care much for those flip up tonneau covers, but to each their own...
Old 10-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
My previous truck had a roll-up cover which we used for years. It had space limits and leaked. When we traded trucks, I went with the shell for the additional room and weather improvements. Aware that getting to stuff in the front could be a problem, I bought a slide-out bed. Been very happy with the combination. I load the front of the slide-out first and cinch the tote boxes with a ratchet strap, slide it in some and load the next row of totes and so on. I'm 70+ and don't enjoy climbing into the truck bed. For me this combination works best. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We need some weather and wind protection at a good price for the few things we carry in our 2012 Ram bed, and ease to get to them as well as visibility, so having the dealer install a roll up Access Lorado tonneau this afternoon.

I see there are aluminum clamps attached to the steel truck bed to hold it. Is there a corrosion issue where these camps "bite" into the steel bed sides?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I have a BakFlip VP tonneau purchased in 2013 for my Tundra.

The BakFlip is ridged but folds back so you can access stuff up front easily or when using the truck for hauling large items or yard debris you can open up the whole bed.

The downside is you are restricted from carrying tall objects when the cover is down. I have folding recliners and have to lay them flat vs on their edge which takes up a lot of floor space in the back of the truck. If its raining every thing gets wet when you open the cover to get at stuff.

The camper shell is heavier which may affect payload, probably not in your case.

Probably what I will do is switch to a camper shell when we start our extended trips in our Airstream in a few years.

Kelvin
Old 10-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #23
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I bought my truck second hand and it came both with a full cap AND a sliding bed insert. At first I thought " What do I need that for and would sell it ". Thankfully I decided to keep it and try it out and sell it if I didn't like it. WOW, what a difference it makes so I kept it. You do loose a little inside height but I can slide it out to give easy access to the whole bed. Not sure how much they cost but in my case I love it and use it all the time.

I use my mirrors to back up so the loss of visability is not a concern to me and I have no trouble backing up to hitch my trailer.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
Yes, wasn't impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

I bought one of those softoppers for my Tacoma to give the old Labrador some shade on hot summer days. Luckily I bought it used at a good price, so I could turn around and sell it without losing. It was great around town, and out on the backroads, but highway speeds was a different story, lots of noise, and always thought it was going to rip itself apart. Was pretty cool with the side windows zipped out, looked as if you were out on safari.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #25
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Some years back I had a nice Leer top on an F 150 I owned. Someone spotted my toolbox inside, busted the side window latch, punched in the insect screen, reached in and grabbed a circ saw and socket set. Fast forward to about a month ago, I'm looking at tops and tonneaus for this '03 F 250. And I'm still seeing locks on the camper shells that are absolute jokes. I looked at several brands, and didn't see one I couldn't get into within a minute or two using standard tools. Or a swiss army knife. Since people can look in the windows and see what's inside, I would worry about the long term security of the tools, bikes, and Honda that are now sitting under a hard, three panel tonneau cover. There's no way to see what's in there, so it's not the best risk to break into. I don't know how you'd hide this stuff from view in a cap, unless you put in a cover, which kind of negates the open useful space design of the cap. A cap without windows would be a drag visibility wise. And the windows are not secure.

Of course, I'm probably overly sensitive since having my tools stolen from a top of the line cap.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Some years back I had a nice Leer top on an F 150 I owned. Someone spotted my toolbox inside, busted the side window latch, punched in the insect screen, reached in and grabbed a circ saw and socket set. Fast forward to about a month ago, I'm looking at tops and tonneaus for this '03 F 250. And I'm still seeing locks on the camper shells that are absolute jokes. I looked at several brands, and didn't see one I couldn't get into within a minute or two using standard tools. Or a swiss army knife. Since people can look in the windows and see what's inside, I would worry about the long term security of the tools, bikes, and Honda that are now sitting under a hard, three panel tonneau cover. There's no way to see what's in there, so it's not the best risk to break into. I don't know how you'd hide this stuff from view in a cap, unless you put in a cover, which kind of negates the open useful space design of the cap. A cap without windows would be a drag visibility wise. And the windows are not secure.

Of course, I'm probably overly sensitive since having my tools stolen from a top of the line cap.
Cover up what is in the PU box ... add tint / mirror to the topper windows if necessary ...
Old 10-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I don't bother locking mine but then again nothing much for anyone to want. I do have a generator and that has a chain and padlock so it would be difficult but so far so good. But the comments about their locks is well taken. If security is what you're looking for, not gonna happen.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
We have the soft tonneau and the upside is you have an open bed when needed without to much work. The downside: try snapping it down on a cold cloudy day. Sal

TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote