Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Camper Shell or No Camper Shell for Pickup TV

Do trucks with camper shells get better fuel mileage towing than trucks without camper shells? Without a camper shell I'd go with a hard tonneau cover.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
look up myth busters, they did an episode on this topic
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Myth Busters did test tailgate up and tailgate down that I saw. In their test the truck with the tailgate down ran out of gas 1st. This was a surprise to everyone including me.

I did not see Myth Busters test cap vs no cap. What happened?

I read somewhere that a cap will improve MPG as it is more areo dynamic.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Well, I think there ought to be a nylon inflatable (with one of those 12volt blowers) connection between truck and trailer - that would keep the air drag down, I think.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
While it seems logical a cap should help in practice I can't say I can prove a significant difference and I have towed lots of miles both with a cap and also an open bed.
What I can say for sure is i can carry more stuff with less worry about packing and organization with the cap,
If you do go that route get lift up side windows for easy access. Much better than a long stick with a hook for snagging stuff out of the front
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
When I changed from a tonneau cover to a cap I noticed a slight improvement in highway mileage. I do not have actual figures but make the claim based the amount of gas used on a 500 mile trip that I have made twice a year for many years. This is without towing however. With the AS in tow I'm not sure if a cap vs. tonneau will make much difference in aerodynamics, which is likely a strong influential factor of fuel economy.

I like Bart's idea. Fill it up with Helium and call it the Flying Zepplin!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I did some towing and driving without our cap, but most of our trips have had the cap in place, and I haven't noticed any change in mileage with the cap on. They're fiberglass (or, at least, mine is), so it really doesn't weigh very much, so the only question would be about the wind resistance factor, which I can't judge because there are so many factors at work. Honestly, for the usefulness of the cap - that is, being able to keep things out of the rain and lock them up easily - any minor drop in mileage is worth it for us.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
My old ranger pickup used to get better mileage with the cap on than off, but it does add some weight to the whole rig. I don't see nearly as many pickups with caps on today as I did 10-20 years ago, guess the proliferation of bedliners or spray in liners has caused folks to not use them. I haven't had one on the last three trucks I've owned.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Cap on or cap off: you will probably notice a very slight increase in milage with a cap on but that being said it may only be 10ths of a gallon in milage but over an extended period that adds up. However during towing it you get one of the caps with the slight aerodynamic wing built into the cap it should increase your milage towing. It will cause the airflow to not be hitting directly onto the face of the camper, but to go up and over the face. Airstreams are already aerodynamically designed so you may not see as much of a gain as you would towing SOB of trailer.Hope this helps. "REMEMBER JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN TOW IT DOESN"T MEAN YOU CAN CONTROL IT OR STOP IT.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Camper shell provides a more aerodynamic flow as determined in our unscientific observations with yarn telltales ... hence our slightly improved fuel efficiency (the weight gain did not offset that).

Try it yourself and you will be amazed at the rotor / eddy currents in the rear box area without a topper.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Good subject, especially the comments about how useful the shells are. I have a soft cover but thinking about a shell to get more covered space.

AirEgger
AirEgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Becaise I carry a scooter with a windshield sometimes, I am thinking of one of these...

Softopper | Soft Top Truck Caps and Canvas Camper Shell Tops

Anyone have experience?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Pick up canopy?

I've owned a number of pickups with and without canopy since the early 1970s. IMO there is little discernible difference between the with or without the canopy in mpg. Maybe a little improvement.

However, the usefulness of the canopy is so evident I wouldn't be without one. It carries everything from golf clubs to BBQs dogs and lawn chairs. they also look good when color coordinated with the TV.

My current combo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Airstream 007.jpg
Views:	2378
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	179472  
NWGreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I have had several pu trucks with camper shells. I have a frame that allows me to easily remove the shell when needed. I have driven many miles with the shell both on and off of a variety of 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks I have owned. I really want to believe that the shell will improve mpg, but I have not seen any evidence of measurable mpg improvement with a shell on.

The shell is a very handy item to have when you own a pu truck. The ability to easily remove as needed makes it even better.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Fuel economy was not a consideration when I purchased a cap for my truck. Security and protection of the items I travel with was the main concern. Having bikes on the roof of the cap most likely costs me a little, but it keeps the bikes safe and secure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	179476  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Thanks for eveyone's comments. I haven't purchase a PU yet but when thinking of what to do with the bed for storage I was thinking a tonneau cover, one that has hard segmented sections that allow you to open only what your need all the way to the full painted cover that hinges up from the front. The I started to wonder about aerodynamics. I guess these fiberglass shells run about $1500 to $2000 and they weight about 250lbs. That would reduce the payload on a Tundra Doublecab from 1650 lbs to 1400 lbs.

Another question I have is placing bikes on tonneau tops. If there is a way to do that you'd have to remove the bikes to raise the lid so the photo on the bikes on the camper looks appealing.

Kelvin
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We have a fiberglass shell on our F250. We have had one on every pick up since 1983 except for one with a sectioned tonneau cover. Have never noticed any difference in in MPG with either gas or diesel trucks. We have found the fiberglass topper to be handier for carrying stuff.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
There is no doubt the fiberglass covers are prettier thsn the aluminum ones, however the aluminum ones cost a lot less and are a lot lighter which is a consideration if you have to install or remove it yourself or with little help.
My Jason cap, with lift up side windows and boat racks cost around $600 in 2000 and has served me well for several hundred thousand miles as have other aluminum caps since I started using them in 1970.
I have removed/ installed the caps by myself using various schemes with boards, come alongs etc.
I currently lift it off by hanging the boat racks on the bottom of a front loader.

A cab high cap will about double the storage space available compared to a bed cover.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Hard Folding/Retractable Tonneau and Cargo Mgmt Questions

I just purchased a Tundra Double Cab with the 6 1/2ft bed. It's preowned and came with a a hard plastic-like berliner. I'm almost prefer it didn't have a bed liner so I could just drop in a bed rug but I think they make one to go over these liners.

I've decided that a bedcover is needed. I've decided to go with a hard cover folding or retractable type. I may need to carry large items occasionally.

I'm concerned about water leakage and security. I would also like flexibility to allow a rack system to be inserted into the bed sides if ever needed something like that. Can anyone can recommend a rack system. I don't want to look like a contractor. The Tundra is white.

The Toyota dealer had the Extang Solid Fold. I didn't like it because it overlaped the bed sides too much. I didn't like the way the back section opened up, two spring clips vs a latch system other companies use. Seems like it would be easy to jimmy the cover open.

Florida 55 posted his experience with the Bak Flip
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ml#post1272761

My concern with retractables is the mechanism. Are they prone to failure? What happens if it rains then freezes or snow? I live in the Dallas area and that can occur. The truck will have to be parked outside with no cover.

Then there is cargo management. The hard bedliner will cause everything to slide around so I'll get a BedRug mat for berliner. I don't need the full bed wall version. How do you keep stuff secured? Can you purchase a system that has adjustable sections to constrain cargo? I can envision having a portable generator and a gas container back there and would want those things sliding around. I will probably use plastic bins for stuff but I have an O'Grill BBQ, portable roll up table, chairs and a 55qt ice chest that can side around.

Thank you

Kelvin
Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Red Hound; What are you doing with my truck and trailer? We have good taste.
I have used both the cover and the cap and didn't see any difference in gas mileage. The big difference is that you have a good excuse NOT to be a hauler for friends with the cap on.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote