Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Camper Shell or No Camper Shell for Pickup TV

Do trucks with camper shells get better fuel mileage towing than trucks without camper shells? Without a camper shell I'd go with a hard tonneau cover.

KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
look up myth busters, they did an episode on this topic

David & Diana
DFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Columbus , Ohio
Myth Busters did test tailgate up and tailgate down that I saw. In their test the truck with the tailgate down ran out of gas 1st. This was a surprise to everyone including me.

I did not see Myth Busters test cap vs no cap. What happened?

I read somewhere that a cap will improve MPG as it is more areo dynamic.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Maniacal Engineer
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Well, I think there ought to be a nylon inflatable (with one of those 12volt blowers) connection between truck and trailer - that would keep the air drag down, I think.

- Bart
Bart Smaalders
Menlo Park, CA
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
While it seems logical a cap should help in practice I can't say I can prove a significant difference and I have towed lots of miles both with a cap and also an open bed.
What I can say for sure is i can carry more stuff with less worry about packing and organization with the cap,
If you do go that route get lift up side windows for easy access. Much better than a long stick with a hook for snagging stuff out of the front
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
When I changed from a tonneau cover to a cap I noticed a slight improvement in highway mileage. I do not have actual figures but make the claim based the amount of gas used on a 500 mile trip that I have made twice a year for many years. This is without towing however. With the AS in tow I'm not sure if a cap vs. tonneau will make much difference in aerodynamics, which is likely a strong influential factor of fuel economy.

I like Bart's idea. Fill it up with Helium and call it the Flying Zepplin!
[AIR# 55762 TAC# NFL-1
DMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I did some towing and driving without our cap, but most of our trips have had the cap in place, and I haven't noticed any change in mileage with the cap on. They're fiberglass (or, at least, mine is), so it really doesn't weigh very much, so the only question would be about the wind resistance factor, which I can't judge because there are so many factors at work. Honestly, for the usefulness of the cap - that is, being able to keep things out of the rain and lock them up easily - any minor drop in mileage is worth it for us.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
My old ranger pickup used to get better mileage with the cap on than off, but it does add some weight to the whole rig. I don't see nearly as many pickups with caps on today as I did 10-20 years ago, guess the proliferation of bedliners or spray in liners has caused folks to not use them. I haven't had one on the last three trucks I've owned.

Ongoing adventures at:
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Cap on or cap off: you will probably notice a very slight increase in milage with a cap on but that being said it may only be 10ths of a gallon in milage but over an extended period that adds up. However during towing it you get one of the caps with the slight aerodynamic wing built into the cap it should increase your milage towing. It will cause the airflow to not be hitting directly onto the face of the camper, but to go up and over the face. Airstreams are already aerodynamically designed so you may not see as much of a gain as you would towing SOB of trailer.Hope this helps. "REMEMBER JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN TOW IT DOESN"T MEAN YOU CAN CONTROL IT OR STOP IT.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Camper shell provides a more aerodynamic flow as determined in our unscientific observations with yarn telltales ... hence our slightly improved fuel efficiency (the weight gain did not offset that).

Try it yourself and you will be amazed at the rotor / eddy currents in the rear box area without a topper.
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Marthasville , Missouri
Good subject, especially the comments about how useful the shells are. I have a soft cover but thinking about a shell to get more covered space.

AirEgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Becaise I carry a scooter with a windshield sometimes, I am thinking of one of these...

Softopper | Soft Top Truck Caps and Canvas Camper Shell Tops

Anyone have experience?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
Airstreamer NW
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Pick up canopy?

I've owned a number of pickups with and without canopy since the early 1970s. IMO there is little discernible difference between the with or without the canopy in mpg. Maybe a little improvement.

However, the usefulness of the canopy is so evident I wouldn't be without one. It carries everything from golf clubs to BBQs dogs and lawn chairs. they also look good when color coordinated with the TV.

My current combo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Airstream 007.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	179472  
Red Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master
2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I have had several pu trucks with camper shells. I have a frame that allows me to easily remove the shell when needed. I have driven many miles with the shell both on and off of a variety of 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks I have owned. I really want to believe that the shell will improve mpg, but I have not seen any evidence of measurable mpg improvement with a shell on.

The shell is a very handy item to have when you own a pu truck. The ability to easily remove as needed makes it even better.

Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote