Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Does your tow pickup have a topper
Yes, I wouldnt do without it 48 57.14%
Yes, I dont like it 0 0%
No, but I wish it did 13 15.48%
No, thank goodness 17 20.24%
I'm pouting because I dont tow with a PU 6 7.14%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Camper shell or no?

For those of you towing with pickups, do you have a camper shell or not? How about you folks who take extended trips. If you have one what features do you like or wish you had?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I got a camper shell specifically for towing. The slightly raised topper (camper shell) helps aerodynamics, and adds a relatively dry and relatively secure storage area. The 150 or so pounds of weight helps the heavy-duty suspension of my truck ride a little better when not towing, as well.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Ditto.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I used a topper with my previous truck and trailer for about six years. Sometimes I wish I had one on this truck but for me the advantages of not having one out-weigh having one. There is some benefit to having your stuff covered and out of the weather, but security isn't all that great since a topper latch and tailgate assembly is not very secure. Even if it is of a good quality it doesn't take much to break a window or cut the fiberglass if a thief wants in bad enough. With me what it really came down to is I didn't think I'd benefit enough to spend the dollars (I know, I'm a bit cheap).

Gene
Old 08-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Rodney-
I do not have a camper shell on my current PU. I might get one for my next. My last PU had one and I loved it. It did mak getting things in and out a little harder, but it looked good and was very functional. The truck I had the cap on was a smaller Toyota PU and we sometimes would use it for one night trips with my fishing trip. I can't remember the brand name, but it was made in Salt Lake City and matched the truck paint.

It had a light wired the trucks battery - nice feature at night
It was taller in the rear and matched the cabs height in the front - Made it easier to load and unload the truck
It had a felt lining - Help prevent water from dripping on the inside (when sleeping in the bed)
It had two latches on the rear (two locks) - A better setup then one latch and the steel bar setup
It no window in the front and sealed against the cab - Made it easy to get stuff from the rear window in the truck's cab

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I got a camper shell specifically for towing. The slightly raised topper (camper shell) helps aerodynamics, and adds a relatively dry and relatively secure storage area. The 150 or so pounds of weight helps the heavy-duty suspension of my truck ride a little better when not towing, as well.
I was wondering how much the higher tops cut milage or effects towing

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I was wondering how much the higher tops cut mileage or effects towing
I wouldn't think by much. There's going to be some Bernouilli drag right behind the truck cap. I got the topper one step above the top of my truck cab (the highest don't look real great). I can fit both of our bikes with front wheels removed on skewers in the bed mat, a wheel ramp for changing flats, my genset, tool chests, and a large plastic wheeled bin for cables, ties, straps, lug wrench, bike pump, paddles, PFDs -- you name it. And my canoe still fits on top of the truck cap.

I do trips with and without all the above gear. A tonneau cover wouldn't work for me. I keep a trip log and the biggest variable I get is when I'm pulling with a full water load -- the center of gravity is low and it's very stable but it costs me nearly 2 mpg.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have the slightly elevated cap. I can fit my bikes in it standing up without taking off the front wheels or seats. Full size bed so we could sleep in it if we were to go where the trailer can not go but we also carry a tent and a canoe sometimes. Yakima rake just elevates the canoe high enough with the raised cap that canoe does not hit the cab. We did the Olympic circuit with the tent and left the Airstream at Lacey Airstream park several years ago. The battery powered 24 led hanging tent light from ACE for $9 works better than the original light which only worked if you had the truck lights on.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Have a cab-high "Snug Top" camper shell, and it's a dandy addition to our camping needs (bikes, generator, wood, chairs, etc. etc.) and even works pretty well for the misc. tools and hauling for daily construction work...When we were camping in rainy conditions in Oregon we really appreciated the fact that everything stayed so dry--and secure.
At one point we thought we might be stashing the dogs in crates back there, but not a chance. They much prefer their cushy digs on a fleece mat in the back seat.
We kinda like it that way too...
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I originally thought I wanted a camper shell, mostly to keep things dry and a slight deterrent to thievery. But I've found having the PU bed open when I need it is a big plus and I don't carry as much stuff back there (yet) as some when camping. Then another friend with a Titan showed me this. If you're tailgate locks it makes it tougher for the thief to break in, it keeps things dry, it can be rolled back for an open truck bed, and I don't need two people to lift it off the truck. I'll be going this route eventually.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I have a topper. It stores all my extras. Generator, Air compressor, fly fishing stuff. of course my tools. It is an ARE Cab high model. saved my bacon when I rolled my last truck.
A.R.E. Truck Caps : A.R.E. : Manufacturer of fiberglass pick-up truck caps, tops, toppers, camper shells, canopies, hard tonneau covers, work caps and truck accessories.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Our shell serves as our dog kennel while camping. The dogs ride in the back while we travel and are comfy-cozy in their dog beds. We have a power sliding rear window to keep in touch.

While at camp the dogs sleep inside the AS, but being swimming Labs, they can get pretty mucky so it's nice to have the option for them to sleep in the back of the truck.

I have a slightly raised shell and I noticed about a 2 mpg drop in fuel economy after it was installed. I was hoping there would be some improvement or at least no change but not so. My shell is a Leer and weighs about 250#s. Not sure what caused the fuel econonmy drop,,,was it the raised shell, the added weight, or a combo of both...

Here's a picture. I have the kayaks on it with the factory installed Thule racks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4142.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	44075  
Old 08-29-2007, 10:28 PM   #13
_

. , .
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...low-21168.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...hell-9625.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...over-5423.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...bad-27878.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...elp-11494.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Then another friend with a Titan showed me this.
Having sold truck accessories in the past, I prefer the Roll n Lock.

Steve
Old 08-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Having sold truck accessories in the past, I prefer the Roll n Lock.

Steve
We use one of those at work, they are nice for concealing/locking gear in the back.

I've debated the camper shell idea.
One would be nice for security and weather protection reasons.
I haven't done it because I occasionally put a kayak or other larger item in the bed.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Somewhere , Between the Tetons and the SF Bay
Yep, I've always had one on every truck. I like the look and it keeps things covered and from blowing around. On any given day the bed has about 200-400 lbs of construction crap in it. If I recall correctly, the MPG I got prior to the cap (also running the bed empty) was about the same as with.

When we go on trips, the bed is chocked full, so it's nice to have the semi-secure and weather secure-ish enclosure.

It's nice just to be able to toss stuff in there and go. I once saw a lawn mower fly out of the back of a truck bed on the freeway. I couldn't believe it -- it just caught some air and then hit the pavement going 65 mph.

My topper is a Snug Top cab-hi. I've had two trucks with that top. They make the nicest styling...but they don't do a great job of color matching. I had them repaint it twice before I would accept it, and it is still off color.

The best mod back there is a 12volt cig lighter plug that I can plug a halogen spot into or a 12volt fan ( I sleep back there on rare occasions ).

It does improve the ride slightly in my HD truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevy in yard.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	44077  
tetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have a hard shell tonneau cover on our truck bed that lifts up from the back and locks...we love it because we can haul all our camping stuff and still secure it...

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:25 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I haven't noticed a significant decrease in fuel mileage. Our fiberglass topper starts just above the cab roof, and angles up slightly toward the back. It is about 4 feet tall inside, from floor of bed to peak of roof at the rear. This angle helps get the air flowing over the front of the trailer. Any fuel cost not towing would be negated by fuel savings towing.
I get nearly 17 not towing, air off, etc, and 12 towing, air off, etc. The topper weighs about 150 pounds.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have a SnugTop hard tonneau painted to match. Water proof and very easy to remove. I have a bunch of HD containers with various stuff that I put in depending on the destination and needs. I use the same system in my Jeep for off-roading.

Also gives you the opportunity to say, "Sorry honey, that thing just won't fit under the tonneau".
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Or...

There's a Suburban. Very secure rear storage.

Paula