Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Does your tow pickup have a topper
Yes, I wouldnt do without it 48 57.14%
Yes, I dont like it 0 0%
No, but I wish it did 13 15.48%
No, thank goodness 17 20.24%
I'm pouting because I dont tow with a PU 6 7.14%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 03:50 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I can not belive the trouble I am having finding a camper shell to put on my 97 . I hate to think I will have to buy a new one which wont match anyway. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
And the newer the truck, the more specific the shell will be. I found out the hard way that my '06 dodge has a bed that is 3" wider at the front than the back
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
I had a remote auto retractable tonneau cover on my F150 for the past 2 years and loved it for security, weather resistance (a little water after a deluge but manageable) and it was easy to install myself. Never had a problem and you could walk on top of it. The bin that holds the cover when rolld up does eat into your bed by @ 10 inches which was tough when you lose bed space in the crew cab model to start with. I picked it up via AZTrucks.com for about $1,000.

AZ Truck Accessories | Pace Edwards*BedLocker Electric Roll Top Cover*
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ERIKSO%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Here is the promo text:

BedLocker is Pace Edwards innovative, remote controlled, electric retractable tonneau cover. Its flush mounted clamp-in design and textured black finish offers tremendous strength, security, durability and style. Operated via remote control, BedLocker!" opens and closes at the touch of a button in less than 30 seconds and can be stopped at any point.

The BedLocker!" remote control can be wired to lock your power door locks as well as our electric tailgate locks to provide complete remote security for your truck. With its drop-in clamp-in design, BedLocker!" requires no drilling on most applications and installs in less than one hour. Packed with value added features, its patented silicone rubber hinge seal will not allow water to penetrate retractable blanket. The BedLocker!" provides a cargo light for optimal visibility and is equipped with a two motor drive for ultimate performance and reliability.
Securely Locks and Seals Your Bed
Flush Mounted, Clamp-In Design
Remote Control Operation with Light
No Drilling Required on Most Fits
Two Motor Drive
One Year Manufacturer Warranty
HOWEVER - I am now shopping for a cover for my F350 and want more room for storage and not having to snug everything below bed height - i.e bikes, dog crate, etc. I am considering a more commercial fiberglass or aluminum cover with side tool boxes and a rooftop rack that would accomodate bikes, canoe, and maybe even a Thule carrier for skis, fishing poles, other long stuff. This would leave the entire bed open for dog, generator, rubbermaid buckets, etc. plus easy and secure access to frequently used tools etc from the side compartments.

I never understood why you would want windows on a bed cover unless you are going for the suburban/tahoe look - less secure and hotter in my mind and not a place for human cargo on the road.

Here is what I am considering and I welcome everyones input before I plunk down an order:

Commercial Work Truck Cap | Shells | Canopies | Toppers | Flat & Bed Covers | Tonneau Cover

Love these threads!
Valhalla2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Despite having had a shell on all of my past pickup trucks, I opted for a folding tonneau Extang | Tonneau Cover | Tonno Covers | Pickup Truck Bed Tonnos Tonneaus on my 2004 Chevy Silverado. I really like the clear visibility that a shell-less bed offers, but I also miss the lockable space. I will more than likely get a shell before too long, and sacrifice visibility.
jrporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I put a Leer topper on my '95 Chevy Silverado just after I bought it in '98. It's great for keeping things out of the weather - but, invariably, everything I wanted to get out of the truck wound up way up front next to the cab. I got so darn tired of crawling in and out over all of the other junk that, when I retired and bought the GMC as a dedicated TV, I took the topper off of the Chevy and put it in storage. Now the Chevy works like any respectable pickup should - hauling brush, trash, and other things that you can just toss in the bed!

I equipped the GMC longbed with an A.R.E. hard shell tonneau and a low profile rolling cargo platform (4 x 4), with a 1,500 lb capacity, that secures against the front of the bed. To the rear of the bed I carry the large blue tote tank (31 gal?) on one side and a large tupperware storage box on the other side. Behind that, and resting against the tailgate is a set of four 2 x 8 nested levelling planks that go across the bed. There are bins on each side, forward and aft of the wheel wells (---all fabbed from 1/2" marine plywood,) that house a portable air-compressor and spare gas tanks for the generators. The compartments forward of the wheel wells are where I store the lesser-used gear such as torque wrench, flares, wheel locks, spare TV oil, portable vise, tow strap, etc. The pair of honda generators are tied down to the rolling platform, and share their remaining space on the platform with water hoses, air hoses, minor leveling planks, heavy-duty extension cords, and a heavy duty bench to support the generators when removed from the truck. The platform will roll all the way out of the truck and it is fitted with two portable legs that will support the outer end while the forward end remains seated on the truck. That way the generators can be used without taking them off of the truck and then quickly rolled back into the truck for security. The hard tonneau cover has a fairly decent lock that also locks the tailgate. However, the nice thing about the tonneau is the old adage "out of sight - out of mind!" As a result, I never have to crawl up into the truck bed for anything since it can all be reached from the tailgate. Fact tis, the last time I was in the truck bed was when I was finishing up the bins. After 4 years with this setup I haven't found anything that I would change other than some cantankerous nylon tiedown straps with Chinese buckles!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote