No, but I wish it did 13 15.48%
No, thank goodness 17 20.24%
I'm pouting because I dont tow with a PU 6 7.14%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #29
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Rodney and I had a chat conversation last night, and by a strange coincidence we have models of 3 variations of F250 in our lot, as well as two versions of F150.
The F250 4x2 was 4.5" taller than the stock F150 4x2 at the rear bumper (I measured), and the F250 4x4 was 8" taller than the stock F150, and 5" taller than the F150 4x4 that was there. Oldest was 1988 (mine and the F150 4x2) newest was 2006 4x4.
My F250 4x2 was the same height at the rear bumper as the 1996 F250 4x2 that was there.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #30
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
my next bed topper/shell will be a new better bottom'r...

The Royal Summit/Sport Utility Truck Body

cheers
2air'
I have had that solution in mind since about 1990. Folks hang on to those beds though. To bad, it would be perfect for outdoors folks.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Oak Park , Illinois
roll-n-lock

Another vote for the roll-n-lock. First one went on my F150. Now I haveone on the F250.

2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Turn your Pickup Truck into a Service Body in less than two hours! Impossible! Not at Highway Products, Inc.

Quite frankly I do not know how you guys travel without a cap of some kind to keep things out of the weather. I know the security of most are not that great but its way better than nothing at all.

As far as fuel mileage goes a pickup with a cap on it will get better mileage than one without a cap.

Leer makes a very attactive cap that matches you pickups color EXACTLY. It also looks like it was make for your truck and not an add on peace. However if you want the ultimate in security and water tightness Hiway products out of Oregon makes what most consider the best in the industry. R.I.E also makes a very good secure cap. Click on the link above and search the web site. They make things to order too if you so desire. For me with Honda generators and exspensive tools I could not leave this stuff out in the open for the weather let alone people reaching in an taking what they want. The Pickupak also provides extra secury for your tailgate. If you own a Ford that means your tailgate is double locked. Nothing is burgular proof but belive me it takes a bit of effort to get in the Hiway products. And they are truely water tight.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
2006 Leer bed shell/topper

I have a Leer shell that fits cab height on my 2006 Tundra. The color matches fine and has held up fine. The only complaint that I have with the shell which will keep me from buying another... when you have the rear flip up window up and it is raining, the water runs into the bed of the truck. There is a gap between the window and the gasket on the main shell.

Sure, when it is NOT raining I have no complaint. If it is raining and you want to retrieve something from the back, you WILL get wet. When I am outfitting a new pickup I will be checking the way the rear window prevents rain from entering the bed of the truck next time...

The more expensive lock system... pass on it. The standard handle to open the rear window will be fine. It takes nothing to break into the center, locking handle and you have to adjust the cables from time to time... so you can get into the bed of the truck. One side will get slack and you need an allen wrench and needle nose to stretch the cable just a "wee bit more".
Old 09-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Well, don't exactly have a standard pickup. I have a Collins ambulance box. Aluminum yes, but still the whole rig weighs in over ten...but I have lots of cool storage doors inside and out True, lumininall would make the inside glow , and one does wonder how many folks maybe did not make the whole ride in its former life, but hey it rides like a Cadilac and my thirt one footer won't push it around
rob
Old 09-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i like the idea of the ambulance rig. you might pick up some cash doing side jobs ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #36
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund

The more expensive lock system... pass on it. The standard handle to open the rear window will be fine. It takes nothing to break into the center, locking handle and you have to adjust the cables from time to time...
Locks are good to keep good neighbors honest, and an inexpensive lock will do that just fine. If you have a high-dollar lock, a thief will wonder what you are trying to protect.
I have left thousands of dollars in tools ungaurded in the back of my truck using a cheap lockset with no problem, and had a truck with an expensive lock on it broken, and a $20 electric drill stolen.
I have taken to leaving nothing in sight, and leaving the truck unlocked. It costs more to replace a broken window or lock assembly, than most things I would want to lock up. A would-be thief will look, see the truck unlocked, nothing there, and move on.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Inyokern , California
Talking Camper Shell or No?

My topper is an American Snug Top hard tonneau. It limits the height of what I can haul while trailering to 20" or so--more than enough for a small generator. Keeps everything dry and out of sight. Locks and lifts with one hand. Two men can remove it easily in 5 minutes for those bigger hauling jobs.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
How about a p/u bed toolbox?

I went back and forth about the topper question. I decided being able to easily access what's in the truck is better for me than having a topper. I did recently put on a toolbox I got very reasonably from Checker. It works very good for keeping smaller camping stuff, especially with my Tradewind which has limited outside storage compartments.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
All the good things everyone says is true. At $3.00 a gallon and a savings of 10% in fuel economy you save roughly 2 cents per mile at 15 mpg, 50 miles to the dollar and after 50,000 miles your $1000.00 shell was free. My tow vehicle does better than 15 mpg, diesel is $2.85 and my shell was $930.00 so I need to go 62,000 miles to pay for it after that all profit and everything stays dry.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #40
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Thumbs down I can't believe it

I can not belive the trouble I am having finding a camper shell to put on my 97 . I hate to think I will have to buy a new one which wont match anyway. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #41

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I can not belive the trouble I am having finding a camper shell to put on my 97 . I hate to think I will have to buy a new one which wont match anyway. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
And the newer the truck, the more specific the shell will be. I found out the hard way that my '06 dodge has a bed that is 3" wider at the front than the back
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
I had a remote auto retractable tonneau cover on my F150 for the past 2 years and loved it for security, weather resistance (a little water after a deluge but manageable) and it was easy to install myself. Never had a problem and you could walk on top of it. The bin that holds the cover when rolld up does eat into your bed by @ 10 inches which was tough when you lose bed space in the crew cab model to start with. I picked it up via AZTrucks.com for about $1,000.

AZ Truck Accessories | Pace Edwards*BedLocker Electric Roll Top Cover*
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ERIKSO%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Here is the promo text:

BedLocker is Pace Edwards innovative, remote controlled, electric retractable tonneau cover. Its flush mounted clamp-in design and textured black finish offers tremendous strength, security, durability and style. Operated via remote control, BedLocker!" opens and closes at the touch of a button in less than 30 seconds and can be stopped at any point.

The BedLocker!" remote control can be wired to lock your power door locks as well as our electric tailgate locks to provide complete remote security for your truck. With its drop-in clamp-in design, BedLocker!" requires no drilling on most applications and installs in less than one hour. Packed with value added features, its patented silicone rubber hinge seal will not allow water to penetrate retractable blanket. The BedLocker!" provides a cargo light for optimal visibility and is equipped with a two motor drive for ultimate performance and reliability.
Securely Locks and Seals Your Bed
Flush Mounted, Clamp-In Design
Remote Control Operation with Light
No Drilling Required on Most Fits
Two Motor Drive
One Year Manufacturer Warranty
HOWEVER - I am now shopping for a cover for my F350 and want more room for storage and not having to snug everything below bed height - i.e bikes, dog crate, etc. I am considering a more commercial fiberglass or aluminum cover with side tool boxes and a rooftop rack that would accomodate bikes, canoe, and maybe even a Thule carrier for skis, fishing poles, other long stuff. This would leave the entire bed open for dog, generator, rubbermaid buckets, etc. plus easy and secure access to frequently used tools etc from the side compartments.

I never understood why you would want windows on a bed cover unless you are going for the suburban/tahoe look - less secure and hotter in my mind and not a place for human cargo on the road.

Here is what I am considering and I welcome everyones input before I plunk down an order:

Commercial Work Truck Cap | Shells | Canopies | Toppers | Flat & Bed Covers | Tonneau Cover

Love these threads!