Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
Stingray,

Just when I was thinking that Ford might get my next diesel business due to not having their hand in the stimulus jar, your post about the 6.0 diesel engine and what it takes to make it right keeps me in my '05 Cummins. Not one issue in 64,000 miles.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
Stingray,

Just when I was thinking that Ford might get my next diesel business due to not having their hand in the stimulus jar, your post about the 6.0 diesel engine and what it takes to make it right keeps me in my '05 Cummins. Not one issue in 64,000 miles.
Bear in mind that internet message boards tend to lean heavily on what is going wrong with something or other. Most folks aren't going to post if everything is hunky dory, only if the oil pump blew up, or their head gasket went south, etc.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I just happen to have recently purchased a diesel excursion. So far I love it. I have it on synthetic oil. (rotella). It has 53 k on it. Seems to perform great but what's this additive for fuel? I'm clueless about diesels- this is my first rig. Now with my first Airstream too,(an up-coming restore) so lots of learning ahead...
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #84
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
Bear in mind that internet message boards tend to lean heavily on what is going wrong with something or other. Most folks aren't going to post if everything is hunky dory, only if the oil pump blew up, or their head gasket went south, etc.

If something went right, believe me I'd post it. I wish I still had my '05 2500HD CTD Ram; if I hadn't had a "cut my nose off to spite my face" moment, I'd still have it...it was a great truck with no problems.

We hauled our horse to Austin yesterday in our 26' steel gooseneck four-horse straight-load Thoroughbred trailer and got 9.5MPG....I was driving 60MPH @ 2000RPM... My Dodge got 15.3MPG towing the same gooseneck trailer and horse.

I'll post something positive about this truck: the King Ranch interior is great!

Of course, that doesn't help, when the truck is sitting on the side of the road.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #85
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
I just happen to have recently purchased a diesel excursion. So far I love it. I have it on synthetic oil. (rotella). It has 53 k on it. Seems to perform great but what's this additive for fuel? I'm clueless about diesels- this is my first rig. Now with my first Airstream too,(an up-coming restore) so lots of learning ahead...

Already PM'd you, but this is for the for the benefit of everyone here....I have read reports of folks having HPOP and injector problems, when they run synthetic...something about the viscosity not being up to par with the OE Motorcraft 15W40.

FWIW, I just go to Wally World and buy the 5qt Motorcraft 15W40 jugs and pour...saves me on trying to figure out what to do with the extra leftover quart with other brands.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 12-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
Airstream01,

I agree about the internet usually posting about problems. Probably venting in most cases and that most happy folks don't post. However, I did post good results with the Dodge/Cummins. Is it perfect? No! Since Mercedes got involved the interior quality went up a bunch of notches. It is not the same truck as before. My intent in my post was to give Ford a 'good pat on the back' for not taking taxpayers money (bailout/ stimulus) and to consider a Ford next time. Nothing more, nothing less.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #87
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'll post something positive about this truck: the King Ranch interior is great!

Yeah, we Dodge owners got to give you Ferd guys something.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
been running 5w40 rotella synthetic since 20k miles,and use it year round with 5000 mile change intervals.seems to start much better in the cold northern climate.the diesel additive that i use is stanadyne performance which helps with lubrication and cetane(octane in gas motor)booster.low sulfer fuel i understand has less lubrication qualities so the additive helps to keep everything lubricated i am told.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #89
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Well, I found a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD with the same hauler bed as our King Ranch. The truck is a 5.9 with 155,000 miles on it. It's a one-owner and the Carfax came back clean. I'm going to call the guy tomorrow and see about trading ours in. Given what we owe on the KR vs what it's worth and the price of the Dodge, our payments would stay the same.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 03-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I just got our truck out of winter storage and have noticed a loss of coolant. Coolant blowing out of the degas bottle so I took it to the Ford dealer today and this is what they found.

check and report diesel engine concerns. engine coolant loss.
cap blows off at 17 psi. can hear whistling noise driving. eec test and pinpoint tests engine oil temperature has difference of 26 degrees. maximum is 15 degrees.

estimate given to replace cylinder head gasket set. engine oil cooler, egr cooler assembly, clean turbo assembly, program processor, change fluids.

parts 1900.00 labor 2520.00 plus which would total about 5000.00 here in Ontario.

Dose this sound reasonable? I thought it was a little high. I am going to call the Ford dealer in my home in WV tomorrow and see what price is for this.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:57 AM   #91
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Its a big job that I had to have done on a 2004 6.0. Required removal of the cab in order to gain access to the motor. I spent $7,041 on oil cooler, head gaskets, EGR cooler, hoses, coolant reservoir, injector O-rings, etc... Hope you have better luck than I did. DW totalled the truck a week after I had all that work done. She was fine but the investment went "poof".
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #92
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
You should never let a machine sit. Seals shrink or crack from lack of lubrication then fail.Gaskets can do the same. Things shrink, bolts get loose. It is just bad to let a machine sit.Don't store it mext winter. I use my truck all winter. It is expensive to plug it in every might but worth it. I have had no problems in the 3.5 years and 75,000 miles I have owned mine.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Michelle, We couldn't go south this winter and I don't have anyplace to keep the truck at my house over the winter. It is a 2wd. I don't know if you have ever tried to drive a 2wd diesel truck in the snow but the traction isn't very good. I talked to a few diesel mechanics and they said just take the battery's out and it would be fine. Sitting over the winter didn't cause the problem I have with it.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
Old 04-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
I am getting ready to spend around 6,000.00 on my truck. I just bought the Edge Evolution to monitor most of the important things that you should know, oil temp, coolant temp, exhaust gas temp and trans. temp all at one time. In a couple weeks I am getting a oil cooler, egr cooler from Bullet Proof Diesel, APR head studs, black onyx head gaskets, improved turbo drain tube, HPOP stainless steel mesh filter screen. I have already installed the coolant by-pass filter and changing to Amsoil and adding a Amsoil by-pass filter that filters to 2 microns. Then just hope nothing else goes wrong.
I hate to put this much money in it but I do like the truck and it is paid for. To buy a new one is over $50,000.00 and I couldn't get much for this one now.
It is a shame that company's like Ford, GM, Dodge, Microsoft and the list goes on and on, can keep making and selling crap to the American public and then say we made a mistake but here are the parts that will make it work now. It was our mistake but we are going to charge you for the parts. When I had my truck into Ford they said I had a front wheel bearing going bad and when I replaced it there is a shield I should buy (from Ford) that will prevent it from happening again so soon.
Also while I think of it anyone with the 6.0 engine you should check the two bottom bolts on your starter they will work loose and come out and cost you a lot of money, but of course that isn't Fords fault and you will have to pay for that too. So I guess I will get off this box and go to bed now if I can go to sleep.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
Old 04-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Also this winter I am going to a 4" exhaust and have the catalytic converter gutted and put back on to help keep the egt down.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
install a coolant filtration system. I bought mine from www.dieselsite.com and total cost was around $170, which is cheap insurance vs paying for a new oil cooler, EGR cooler, engine, you get the idea. If a dummy like me can install the coolant filtration system, anyone can. It took me about an hour to get everything installed and was very straightforward.
Stingray,
Thanks for the info on what we need to do to keep our 6.0 engines running. I've got 70000 miles on mine right now. It had about 50000 miles when I bought it. The only major repair I've had was to replace the turbo about 5000 miles ago.

I just ordered the coolant filter from dieselsite.com. The price is now $119.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers View Post
I am getting ready to spend around 6,000.00 on my truck. I just bought the Edge Evolution to monitor most of the important things that you should know, oil temp, coolant temp, exhaust gas temp and trans. temp all at one time. In a couple weeks I am getting a oil cooler, egr cooler from Bullet Proof Diesel, APR head studs, black onyx head gaskets, improved turbo drain tube, HPOP stainless steel mesh filter screen. I have already installed the coolant by-pass filter and changing to Amsoil and adding a Amsoil by-pass filter that filters to 2 microns. Then just hope nothing else goes wrong.
Marvin
Hi Marvin,

How did your upgrades go? Did you install all this yourself, or have someone else do it? Feel free to drop in anytime you're going through Milton. I'd like to see what you've done with your truck.

I can't afford everything you're doing right now, but I'm starting with the coolant filter and would like to do something about the EGR.

Grant

Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #98
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
This has been a great read, StingrayL82 nice thread. I especially like all of the first hand input from OWNERS. You might be able to tell, I like the Dodge 5.9L but one thing that sets it apart that I think needs a bit of an ATTA BOY to Cummins and Dodge.

Engine Compartment Space.

Take a look at the available engine compartment space of a D-Max or 6.0L and don't forget the 6.4L. The video shows something that is a complete turn off for me as a buyer if SOP is R&R cab to do any extended repair. Now IMHO if someone needed that tight of an engine compartment why not make it a tilt cab hinged at the bottom of the radiator but all fenders go with the "hood" and I have not seen or heard of a test stand setup that keeps the CAC, radiator and all other essentials hoked up to the engine so you can try your work PRIOR to replacing the cab. My '05 is pre EGR, pre DPF and pre ULSD even though that is all I get these days. Mileage as a daily driver empty is a solid 20 hand calculated.

I know we all have our own opinions, I'm not out to change yours. Some folks like crunchy peanut butter, some creamy. I like being able to open my hood, scan the entire engine, stand in one spot and reach all of the filters, look down thru the engine and see what surface the truck is parked on, try that with a 6.4L. I also watched my neighbor struggle with his 6.0L and 5th wheel go up some grades into Ashville NC that almost made him sell the truck, but he likes it and get the EGR delete, we put it on together and it did him a world of good. My cold starting system is pretty straight forward, easy to diagnosis and understand.

OK Rednax, I'll post something positive too, here goes. Don't forget my '05 is 2WD not 4X4.

My 6.0L 4X4 neighbor has had to tow my 5.9L 2WD TWICE because I got stuck on wet grass, the downward angle of the rear exceeded the coeffoeient of friction of my OE Michelins ability to drag my truck out of it's track, the second time SC sand did me in, there the world knows. I've been pulled by a 6.0L FURD!

Hope to see you on the road someday.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #99

o , Maine
I am a 6B cummins fan. I own 3 of the 1st gen dodges ( 89 to 93 ). They are simple and run a long time. I also have a LLM Dmax that is a work truck. These trucks ( all 3 makes ) have so much power now the drivelines are at risk even with a stock tune. The cummins was a non electronic engine up to 1998.5 when they switched to the 24 valve. After that there were some injection pump issues with the VP44 style pump. Mostly due to lift pump issues. Some of the 24 valvers also had the " 53 " casting block that were noted to cracking under the exhaust manifold. In my eyes its hard to beat the old style simple trucks. Just like everything else they all had there weakness. As you guys can see I know some about trucks,,, but VERY little about these little round campers. Just joined to read up in hopes of maybe someday fixing one up.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
listen to powerstrokehelp.com
Thanks xonvldz.

For those of you who haven't already visited this site, there are some interesting videos at Powerstrokehelp.com. I haven't watched them all yet, but from the ones I have seen I'm getting a better understanding of how this engine works and it's strengths and weaknesses.

Another good resource is the coffee table books at FordDoctorsdts.com