Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Call Me Crazy?

Well this should invite some interesting discussion. I just ordered a 2017 RAM 3500 to replace my 2015 F-350. Yep, I know all you Ford fanatics think I'm crazy! Maybe I am? Only time will tell.....maybe. I normally buy a new truck every three years. Two years ago when I purchased my F-350, I had a white trailer with brown on the bottom wrap. Well, the Ford King Ranch in white platinum matched almost perfectly. So I ordered one as close as I could get to my liking. Every factory option, then a lot of upgrades. 25000 miles later and I have been very satisfied. Last August when I bought a new 2016 Classic, the white and brown just didn't quite match like I wanted. I knew that Ford was coming with a new truck for 2017, so I began reading and researching everything that I could find. When I finally got to see a new Ford in person, I wasn't as excited as I thought I would be. I wanted a silver truck with lots of "bling." Ford has what they call a "Ingot silver" which I think is almost in the light grey range? For some unknown reason, GM doesn't offer any kind of silver in their HD trucks? Both the Platinum and Denali have painted bumpers. So that took me to RAM, who offers a "bright silver metallic." I looked at ordering a F-350 Platinum and a Ram 3500 Limited. IMHO the Ram Limited has the most luxurious interior hands down. When I combined that with the option of chrome bumpers, (which I haven't had since 2004) and all the chrome side moldings and wheels, I should have the perfect match for my silver bullet! I ordered The Crew Cab Limited, short box 4X4 3500. 6.7L HO with the Aisin Trans, "the only way to get the 900 ft. lbs. of torque." Chrome bumper package, Cargo view camera, Clearance lamps, Rear defroster, Cold weather group, Auxiliary switches, Dual 440 amp alternators, 5th wheel towing prep group, Rear air suspension, I think that's every option except a sunroof (which I hate!) I am having the Dealer switch out the AT Firestones for Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires when it comes in and fill them with nitrogen. I will be getting a Leer cap and Xpel paint protection as soon as I receive it, along with some other upgrades. This will be my first Ram truck. I have owned a Charger and have a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit presently, with a Hemi and am very well pleased. The Ram was the most expensive of the three when equipped as close as you could compare to the Platinum and Denali. One reason being that in order to get the HO Cummins you are required to get the Aisin Transmission as a $2695.00 option. The other option that I don't understand why Ford and GM doesn't offer, is the rear air suspension at $1595.00. So there it is. Should be about 8 weeks before I see it? So lets have at it boys and girls, (have to be fair) tell me why I'm crazy?
Old 10-08-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I don't think it matters which manufacturer you choose if you only plan to keep it 3 years.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:33 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
You aren't crazy, that's an excellent truck.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ram_2500/

You aren't crazy. Obviously Airstream themselves like the combo since they are letting one be in the current Ram photos.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Call Me Crazy?

I'm really happy with my '12 Ram but what you ordered takes things to the next level. If I had the money, I'd order one just like yours, to include the Aisen transmission. (I don't care for sunroofs either due to decreased headroom and the chance of leaks.)

In short, I don't think you're the least bit "crazy".

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Wow!
I actually love the look of my Limited...I thought I was the only person alive who likes this grill.
It will be interesting to read your thoughts on the Cummins after living with your Ford.
I agree with your assessment of HD interiors by the way. I remember the first post-crash Ram interior that I saw. I couldn't believe it was a Dodge/Ram I was looking at. They are very, very nice...
Nice truck!
Bruce
Old 10-09-2016, 04:46 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Dover , Pennsylvania
A fool and his money is soon departed. Just kidding, if it makes you happy that's all that matters.
Dan_Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Every year or two we help the auto Journalists association with their HD truck comparison.

They bring the trucks and we connect 15,000 pound fifth wheels to them. This year the Ram had the air suspension, it was noticeably smoother than the GM. Ford did not participate this year and at the moment I'm not certain we can connect a fifth wheel to one as it is 3" taller than the 2016.

The 2017 Ford 2500 rides smoother than the 16 but it is not as stable towing an Airstream. They were ridiculously tall before, the last thing they needed was to make them 3" taller.
Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Enjoy, but I have no intentions of leaving my 2015 F350 except to get another Ford F350 6.7 and mine is in the Silver Ingot which almost perfectly matches the 2017 Classic and our 2015 FC.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:06 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
To call you crazy would be calling myself crazy...which is perhaps also accurate. I just traded in my 2016 Denali for a 2017 F250. This was after making similar upgrades you noted...Micheline tires, clear bra, Leer cap. The Denali was a great truck, but there was a drone type road noise that drove me nuts. I was also fascinated by your distaste for painted numbers...I don't like them either and thus ordered a Lariat trim on the Ford. I drove the Ram and was very impressed. I am going back to white with this truck which is the only color I seem to be satisfied with as time passes.
Wanna EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Every year or two we help the auto Journalists association with their HD truck comparison.

They bring the trucks and we connect 15,000 pound fifth wheels to them. This year the Ram had the air suspension, it was noticeably smoother than the GM. Ford did not participate this year and at the moment I'm not certain we can connect a fifth wheel to one as it is 3" taller than the 2016.

The 2017 Ford 2500 rides smoother than the 16 but it is not as stable towing an Airstream. They were ridiculously tall before, the last thing they needed was to make them 3" taller.
Andrew T

Totally agree! My 2015 F-350 has nearly 2 ft. between the tires and fenderwells and that's with 20" tires! Taller = less stable. I have had people ask me if I had put a body lift on and kept the original wheels?
Old 10-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Wow!
I actually love the look of my Limited...I thought I was the only person alive who likes this grill.
It will be interesting to read your thoughts on the Cummins after living with your Ford.
I agree with your assessment of HD interiors by the way. I remember the first post-crash Ram interior that I saw. I couldn't believe it was a Dodge/Ram I was looking at. They are very, very nice...
Nice truck!
Bruce
You are not alone! The grille was one of many changes that led me to the RAM Limited! I was soo tired of the "cross hair" grilles, which they have had forever, time for a change, even my Charger had one! I am old school I guess. I used to buy the top line trucks that had chrome everywhere, the cheap trucks had painted bumpers then the "mono chromatic" craze hit. Now the top line trucks have painted bumpers and the cheaper trims have chrome, go figure? I still love the "bling!"
Old 10-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Rox View Post
A fool and his money is soon departed. Just kidding, if it makes you happy that's all that matters.
That's the great thing about this Country, if you have it, you can part with it any way that you choose!
Old 10-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Annapolis , Maryland
Well I'm crazy too .... Only for different reason. I have a 2011 f250 6.7 diesel. Great truck. The build date of this truck was late in the model year after they fixed the major concerns of glow plugs and valves. This is a great truck. I have put more than 120k miles on it in Europe with no problems. One benefit in Europe is diesel fuel quality is far better than the states. But that's another story. My issue with Ford is the craziness of removing the cab for major engine repairs. In my mind such complicated repair leans toward unreliability in the long run. So I bought a fully loaded 2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab with air suspension, 6.7 Cummins and Aisin transmission. I think the Straight 6 engine with fewer moving parts is more reliable than an 8. All it has to do to win against Ford and Chevy is fight and win against the emission system.
wander-west is offline   Reply With Quote