Old 11-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
That's more payload than my pickup- 1,550#-
Between your two vehicles, which do you prefer to tow with? What size airstream do you tow?

Old 11-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
See my avatar and signature- I tow a 30' Classic with a Toyota Tundra (1/2 ton).
I am within all numbers by a hair- payload, front axle GVW, rear axle GVW, GCVW, towing capacity-
The only number I am not sure of is tongue weight- maybe I'll make it to the Cat scales again one day-
A little more firewood in the truck bed could have me overloaded or exceeding capacities-
The 3/4 Chevy is a work truck equipped to pull gooseneck trailers- I'm sure it would be a great Airstream puller and I intend to try it one day to measure whether it is really that much better than a 1/2 ton- the 1/2 ton sure rides better-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Given the homeowners restrictions and such - you may consider the 1/2 ton SUV route and be careful with weights

Only other option is used 'burb 2500 or a 3/4 or 1 ton van (like an E350 or Chevy ) -

Nissan NV cargo van is 1/2 ton as I recall

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
There is a user on here "BABB" I believe is the name that pulled with an infinity SUV and it worked - may be worth talking with that member

Old 11-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #75
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
If the OP goes for a Suburban, for even more power you can go the Duraburb guys in Florida and for $20,000 they will put a 2500 diesel engine and Allison transmission into the Suburban. Youtube for Duraburb (they have no website).

I was in the market for a new TV – I got the Airstream FC30 in March and towed about 5,000 miles over the summer with an SUV. A trip out west and into a “small canyon” convinced me that my little SUV that handled so well in Ohio and Michigan couldn’t handle the mountains. Engine was at 4,000 rpm, we may have been going 15 mph. I can’t believe the engine didn’t blow up right then and there. I really wondered why I got the “big Airstream” pulling out of Palo Duro canyon with my engine racing and me wondering if we were even going to make it. But we survived that and when we got home I needed to think of what our next TV was going to be. I seriously contemplated getting a Suburban and doing the Duraburb conversion – I thought about it for a month but decided against it. Instead I got a GMC 2500 pickup with the diesel engine. I won’t be able to tow the AS with it until winter is over – probably May. Talk about delayed gratification. I can’t imagine if I had HOA restriction against pickups to deal with. I would have to move, probably best just to live in the AS.

Looking back I am glad I got the AS first, had a tow vehicle I could test for a while, and then make a “final decision” on TV. If I had bought a TV before the AS, I never would have gotten a TV as big as the 2500 if I hadn’t had the “small canyon” experience first.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

I talked to my wife last night about the possibility of getting 3/4 ton truck. She was surprisingly receptive. I told her they seat 6, but now that I'm thinking about it maybe it's only 5? This may be a good thing... I think trucks are more affordable anyways and I can even consider the diesels. What are my options in the 3/4 ton trucks? How does diesel compare to has at fill ups?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Duraburb

Here you go !!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...56988011,d.cWc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
If the OP goes for a Suburban, for even more power you can go the Duraburb guys in Florida and for $20,000 they will put a 2500 diesel engine and Allison transmission into the Suburban. Youtube for Duraburb (they have no website).

I was in the market for a new TV – I got the Airstream FC30 in March and towed about 5,000 miles over the summer with an SUV. A trip out west and into a “small canyon” convinced me that my little SUV that handled so well in Ohio and Michigan couldn’t handle the mountains. Engine was at 4,000 rpm, we may have been going 15 mph. I can’t believe the engine didn’t blow up right then and there. I really wondered why I got the “big Airstream” pulling out of Palo Duro canyon with my engine racing and me wondering if we were even going to make it. But we survived that and when we got home I needed to think of what our next TV was going to be. I seriously contemplated getting a Suburban and doing the Duraburb conversion – I thought about it for a month but decided against it. Instead I got a GMC 2500 pickup with the diesel engine. I won’t be able to tow the AS with it until winter is over – probably May. Talk about delayed gratification. I can’t imagine if I had HOA restriction against pickups to deal with. I would have to move, probably best just to live in the AS.

Looking back I am glad I got the AS first, had a tow vehicle I could test for a while, and then make a “final decision” on TV. If I had bought a TV before the AS, I never would have gotten a TV as big as the 2500 if I hadn’t had the “small canyon” experience first.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
When looking at a truck, particularly a 3/4 ton, consider its dimensions. I found they are slightly larger than the 1/2 ton and unlikely to fit in my garage. I'm not thrilled about spending 50k plus and leaving it outside in the rain and weather full time, plus my neighborhood has CC&R's that discourage outside storage. My feeling is a bigger diesel truck will get you up the long hill quicker while hauling more junk but the advantages soon disappear when you arrive in town. I think about that whenever I see the guy with the F-350 quad cab having to park in the outer edges of the grocery store parking lot because it won't fit anywhere else.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
OP, you like many here will drive yourself crazy picking a TV. I know I did.

Used to use a F250 Powerstroke 4X4. Now we have a 2002 3/4 ton Suburban 4X4 with the 8.1 engine and here's how we came to that decision.

We live in the rural desert above snow level so 4X4 is required.

Every part on the 2002 is easy to get and fairly inexpensive due to supply and aftermarket.

3/4 ton = bigger brakes and stronger axles.

We can't go anywhere without hitting long steep passes and the 8.1 pulls our trailer up any mountain at speed with power left over. 2,200 RPM at 65mph.

At a purchase price of $9,000 with 102,000 miles there was plenty left in the bank for any desired upgrades or repairs.

Repairs to date = 0. Now with 140,000 miles.

Upgrades = New complete hitch. I just don't like that round bar system from the factory. Also added towing mirrors. Easy remove the old little ones and bolt on the new larger heated ones.

We also car camp out of the suburban and it easily fits and hauls everything. Also can sleep in the back. Handy in the rain.

The back seat in the Sub is comfortable. The one in the F 250 or any other crew cab we've been in were not. Felt like a factory afterthought.

Easily fits in supermarket parking spaces unlike the F 250.

Doesn't need a football field for a U turn.

Those leather heated seats are a lot more comfortable than the F 250 too.

And finally...

13 mpg un hitched and 10 pulling the trailer. MPG is consistent.

Good luck.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
My ram 2500 Can seat 6 - but the middle person in front does not have leg room - floorboard below is bulged up - it's doable

Middle in back between car seats
Equally doable but not great

Bring the fam - put in car seats - then decide

It will not be the same comfort and space as a suburban or infinity with 3rd row

Compromises compromises

The 3/4 ton pickup (aka "PU") - makes for a hassle of a daily driver!! But "doable" if not for heavy use or frequent tight mall parking etc...

My diesel on flat terrain in tow no wind 14.1mpg pulling my 30 footer

Mixed mileage if mostly stop and go really varies but surprisingly not good - 18-19 highway going 65mph

Old 11-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Edit - *not surprisingly - city mileage stinks - 11-15 mpg perhaps

Old 11-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

Honesty, those gas mileages are better than I would have expected.

Right now I have a 3 series Beemer and it's terrible. Avg 15 around town. Could be the driver, but I couldn't tell for sure.

I wonder if the suburban 3/4 ton would get similar results in tow and not.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Diesel > gas in terms of gas mileage, right?
Old 11-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If diesel gets better mileage I can't tell-
About 12-13 towing, 19-20 empty-
Is that enough better to justify the initial higher cost + higher cost of fuel + higher maintenance cost + that rattling sound + that smell?
For me- no- but there are many who disagree with me.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote