Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
I have some answers for you regarding the towing with the 3/4 ton. Chevy does no longer offer a 3/4 ton for 2014 and when the redesigned unit comes out next spring they will not offer a 3/4 ton unit. I am a chevy dealer and have done a great deal of study on this issue. If you need to tow a trailer/contents that may approach 10,000 lbs, I would suggest the redesigned 1/2 ton crew cab silverado with the 6.2 V8. It will tow in excess of 11,000 lbs. I will say that our dealership has not sold a 3/4 ton silverado in over ten years and I am sure that this mirrors what is being sold across the country. If they would sell, Chevy would most certainly make them for us dealers. I myself am disappointed in that decision because I would prefer a 3/4 Suburban instead of the crew cab pickup.

Unfortunately, the Silverado chassis doesn't fit in most conventional residential garages. The Suburban does/did.

I question GM's decision.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
if carmax has one that has what you want and suits your needs...then you simply pay the tranfer fee....usually 500 max I think 750...worth it I suppose IF you are quite certain that is what you want/need.

the bunkhouse layout (you can see all layouts of current models on the site, I think even old ones as well):
Airstream, Inc :: Flying Cloud 30 w/Bunk

front queen bed sleeps 2 (obviously), dinette can become a "bed" and sleep a couple kids, the lounge sofa is about 6.5 feet long, I am age 30 and could sleep on it ok, teens and kids definately, the dinette I would think only 1 adult, the full size bed in the rear (the bunkhouse) can sleep two adults, upper bunk, one child...I tried upper bunk as well, im 6 feet, it is just doable..I could sleep there if I needed to...

If you need to have a 3rd row...then we can forget about pickup trucks...unless we can strap grandma in her rocker in the back....but how can she fit back there with kayaks??

Having said that then your choices are now limited to the SUV's.....so tahoe, suburban, nissan armada, that nissan NV van thingie (actually really cool interior options), chevy vans, ford ecoline vans....the vans offer a few 3/4 ton options as well as 1 ton options....im not sure if tahoe makes a 3/4 ton model?

question for others on this forum regarding his situation...can he like rent or lease something to use and evaluate (both in his subjective feelings in tow, and objectively on cat scales with usual gear) - and decide if a particular 1/2 ton SUV will work? I have no idea...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Elora , Ontario
Why an SUV at all?

I don't want to open up a can of worms, but.....

Why bother with a suburban? There are forum users who tow with vans & mini-vans and report excellent experience...and then as a daily driver they are MUCH better than a suburban. Consider the purchase price as well - loaded suburban at about $55k (Cdn) and a mini-van at about $35k (Cdn).

We have 5 children and tow a 1993 30' Excella with a 2010 Honda Odyssey. We've been about 15000 miles so far, including a cross-continent trip last year that took us through the Rockies twice. Certainly it's slow up-hill and then again on the down-hill, but we're on vacation and have the time!
Coupled with a Hensely hitch the towing experience is phenomenal - no sway at all. You might want to consider it!

All the best with whatever you choose.
Geobie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkel View Post
A quick check of carmax revealed one 2500 in FL (I'm in PA). This may be a tough hunt.

Found ours on ebay maybe you'll luck out too....be very careful though.

How about this...looks a bit like ours.

Bob
Old 11-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The weights/ratings are on a sticker, usually on the drivers door jamb or 'B' pillar.

GVWR-gross vehicle weight rating.
GAWR-gross axle weight rating front & rear.

Bob
What is squiggled out? VIN?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
As others have said a highly touchy subject!

For my part, I suppose I adhere to the bigger is better philosophy!

Over the last three tow vehicles we have owned, I went up in size / wheelbase / tow rating each time we changed vehicles and have never regretted it.

I just find the towing experience so much more relaxed and enjoyable and for me that is what it is all about.

I have no argument with those opting for smaller tow vehicles from the standpoint of economics, or use as a daily driver, or whatever other logic they apply, and I will obviously admit that our 3/4 ton diesel is not as easy to park as our 1979 Mini - or my motorcycle - but we do use it as a daily driver and have no real problem with it at all!

I would certainly buy it again!

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice!

One thing I would not do thought would be to use a tow vehicle that is not factory-rated for the load that I plan to haul - even though I understand that others do this and it apparently works for them.

On principle I like to have a good margin between what I tow vs. what my tow vehicle is rated to tow. It just gives me peace of mind even if it might cost me a bit more on both first cost and running cost.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
What is squiggled out? VIN?
Yep....it's a documented alien.

Bob
Old 11-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I mean neither insult nor disrespect to those who have chosen a Suburban as a TV, but I can't for the life of me understand why.

I test drove a Suburban, extensively, and the experience wasn't dissimilar to driving a boat, especially around corners. It was ok in a straight line, but in any kind of manoeuvre where agility and road holding were required the experience was getting very scary, very fast. I would not wish to entrust my family to this vehicle, or this kind of vehicle.

In my opinion, there are other vehicles available that are far more capable, safe and economical than the Suburban. The VW Touareg comes to mind, the Porsche Cheyenne or the new Jeep GC with the diesel engine.

If you do need the load carrying capacity of a larger vehicle, I'd go with a truck or van before choosing the Suburban. I thought it to be the most horrid vehicle I ever had the misfortune to drive.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Yeah, best case scenario is to be able to live with the vehicle for a week. Tow in it, go to the store, strap granny to the back.... But I don't know if that's an option, lol.

I choose suburban for its capability to 1) seat the number of passengers I need and 2) tow the AS I need. I don't know of anything else that seats 8 people that can tow the AS. I vowed never to own a minivan (no offense to those who use them). If I'm missing tow vehicles options please feel free to elaborate.
cptkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

That being said I do need to test drive one still.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Yeah, best case scenario is to be able to live with the vehicle for a week. Tow in it, go to the store, strap granny to the back.... But I don't know if that's an option, lol.

I choose suburban for its capability to 1) seat the number of passengers I need and 2) tow the AS I need. I don't know of anything else that seats 8 people that can tow the AS. I vowed never to own a minivan (no offense to those who use them). If I'm missing tow vehicles options please feel free to elaborate.
The minivan thing can be done, but you have to modify and set it up correctly. More importantly, you really have to want that minivan, because you can get an awful load of grief from some in the RV community.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
That being said I do need to test drive one still.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
"I asked the dealer about the 3/4 ton model and he acted like I was crazy and said they didn't sell many of that model."
You have to consider what your need is. Your most important factor is payload as it must include the tongue weight too. That is the limiter. Shop around for a vehicle type that meets the payload capacity you need- tongue weight + people and gear and you will have it.

Quote:
Personally I would have had a much harder time entertaining the TV as a daily driver thought process given my driving needs...I commute 50 miles each way daily...need my 45mph I get in my TDI
Ha! I WAS there with ya. Sold the 2010 TDi as it was just me and could not leave the truck just sitting all the time and did not want two larger vehicles to pay out for. I got a scooter PCX150 that goes 65 mph for camping and commuting most days. Love it! Oh, and my current average since July is at the pump, 94 mpg! (rated at 102mpg) The truck is my rain and tow vehicle.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Found ours on ebay maybe you'll luck out too....be very careful though. How about this...looks a bit like ours. Bob
Is this yours that you are selling? Or just similar?
Old 11-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I mean neither insult nor disrespect to those who have chosen a Suburban as a TV, but I can't for the life of me understand why.

I test drove a Suburban, extensively, and the experience wasn't dissimilar to driving a boat, especially around corners. It was ok in a straight line, but in any kind of manoeuvre where agility and road holding were required the experience was getting very scary, very fast. I would not wish to entrust my family to this vehicle, or this kind of vehicle.

In my opinion, there are other vehicles available that are far more capable, safe and economical than the Suburban. The VW Touareg comes to mind, the Porsche Cheyenne or the new Jeep GC with the diesel engine.

If you do need the load carrying capacity of a larger vehicle, I'd go with a truck or van before choosing the Suburban. I thought it to be the most horrid vehicle I ever had the misfortune to drive.

I'm glad it's only your opinion Andy, and as such cannot be proven one way or the other.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Old 11-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
2014 Dodge Durango

We're really just shooting in the dark until the Airstream is known, old, new, light, heavy? An ideal matchup is pretty hard to do. Needed payload is determined by you; we can travel very light, many cannot.

In the meantime I'd look into one of these to see if it meets your family's needs, and when the trailer is picked, it may be time to buy a family car/tow vehicle.

Good tow rating, 3 row seating, two good engine choices, and an 8 speed transmission to keep you in the right power/economy range. Perhaps it's greatest asset is independent suspension front and rear for stability and drivability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-Dodge-Durango-Airstream.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	200511  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Is this yours that you are selling? Or just similar?
No...it just happened to be the last one listed when I checked ebay...just a coincidence.
It's an LS model with the standard 6.2 engine and fabric interior.

Don't let the negsayers bother you, go drive one make up your own mind.
Both our 2500 Burbs have been excellent tow vehicles. Comfortable, capable with excellent payload and plenty of room. The LTZ model with active suspension is a very comfortable long haul tower.

Just my opinion and as such can't be proven otherwise.

Bob
Old 11-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Suburban 2500 - ex owner

The 1500 Suburban is squishy. The 2500 that I had (2004) had a much firmer suspension - springs, frame, brakes, tires were all heavy duty. The cost of a Suburban 2500 to buy? Not bad. To run as a daily driver - OMDG! It was also too long to fit on any lift in town but the dealer's. Limited where I could buy tires. Since then I have had a 2500 Silverado Diesel quad cab long bed and now a Ford F-150 Ecoboost.

Silverado - DON'T get the quad cab long bed. Go for the six foot bed. The turning radius of mine took four lanes in the opposite direction to do a U-Turn. The mileage wasn't bad for a diesel 15 in town 20 on the road and as always about 11.5 towing. MONSTER torque, and power to spare. I'd pull a 34 classic without a second thought. I resent paying more for diesel than gasoline. It is a less refined fuel and should be less expensive... it WAS until the 90's. Gasser would get even worse mileage.

What I don't like about trucks is you aren't done buying them when you buy them. You ADD running boards, and a tonneau or other bed cover and if you are short, a cargo slide is worth it's weight in gold... and on and on. NEVER buy one without a towing package including the big mirrors... it's just too expensive to do those as add-ons. The 'burb already HAS the bed cover and the running boards, but the after market towing mirrors are about $500 new plus installation. (It's a do it yourself if you're handy and have the time and patience. But do watch out for sharp edges on the inside of the door. They can cut and short your wires if you don't add protection. You also have to add a brake controller to older models... not sure about 2012's and 13's.

As for something with three rows of seats. Is that a real worry? The big pickups ARE six passenger seats - unless you're all 400 lbs. You can easily put the driver and two kids in the front and three adults in the rear. There's plenty of legroom. Throw HUSBAND in the bed if all seven are in the vehicle.

Mini-vans - talk to Andy at Can-Am. Reinforcing hitches is his specialty. They do get better mileage as a daily driver.

BTW on any used Chevy before 2009... the OEM Hitch is CRAP, if it's been used as a tow vehicle before look for a replacement hitch or figure you'll be buying one yourself.

Paula
Old 11-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I bought a 2005 Ford Excursion Limited with a 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel. It is super clean in great shape, the last year of manufacture. Very beautiful and I hope it last for years. I can easily fit my family of 6 plus dogs and cargo, with a 11,000 lb towing capacity. I would love it if Ford made this truck today.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
I'm glad it's only your opinion Andy, and as such cannot be proven one way or the other.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Absolutely, and acknowledged as such. My post was not meant to rile any Suburban drivers who no doubt have come to very different conclusions.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote