Old 02-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #57
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversled View Post
If the used truck comes with integrated brake controller built into the dash, be sure it can communicate with your Airstream brakes. Some Airstreams braking systems are digital and some analogue. There are aftermarket solutions but they defeat the purpose of an integrated tow package that came on the truck and can be an added expense.
Whoa, "communicate with your Airstream brakes." I gotta process that one. Trailer brakes are electrically activated, braking mechanisms. They only react to inbound current and don't send a signal to the truck. Do you mean check the circuit for continuity?

Or, are you differentiating between proportional and solid state controllers? They both send current, but how much and when is governed by how the controller works internally. The integrated, in-dash OEM versions are all proportional in late model trucks. These units sense how quickly the tow vehicle is stopping and applies an appropriate amount of current to increase/decrease braking. However, they do require the operator to set/adjust the baseline current.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisen View Post
Unless your driving 70 , 11 mpg is pretty low for a diesel. We averaged 11 with 28 ft toy hauler and easily 12.5 to 13 with 25 AS at 60-62..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Basically the same for us; perhaps 1-1.5 mpg better at 55-60 mph.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
We can argue the specific numbers all day, but it definitely seems like it's close enough to essentially be a wash, except for the cost of the engine. 11 is pretty normal for us; either we're doing 65-70 mph when traffic and weather permit, or we're stuck in a traffic jam, or we're climbing hills, and none of those are great for fuel mileage. Sure we could do better by going slower or choosing flatter routes, but it makes sense to compare numbers on what we're actually doing, not what we COULD be doing.
Didn't think I was "arguing" with anyone, sorry to intrude on your thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisen View Post
Didn't think I was "arguing" with anyone, sorry to intrude on your thread.
It's not my thread. I didn't mean argue in that sense....let's say "discuss" instead.

Sure, I can plug in the numbers you gave me, and it'll balance in favor of the diesel slightly, but it won't change it a lot, and to be fair, you'd also have to change the numbers for the gas engine at those speeds, assuming the numbers I was given for gas are at speeds similar to what I tow at. See what I mean? There are just too many variables, and we can plug in numbers all day to change the results very slightly, and we still won't know the "true" answer, because it's different for every one of us - it probably even varies from trip to trip!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
My experience compairing gas Chevy truck to diesel dodge truck towing the same trailer is a 4 to 5 mpg in favor of diesel. As much as 6 mpg in the hills. Jim
Old 02-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Whoa, "communicate with your Airstream brakes." I gotta process that one. Trailer brakes are electrically activated, braking mechanisms. They only react to inbound current and don't send a signal to the truck. Do you mean check the circuit for continuity?

Or, are you differentiating between proportional and solid state controllers? They both send current, but how much and when is governed by how the controller works internally. The integrated, in-dash OEM versions are all proportional in late model trucks. These units sense how quickly the tow vehicle is stopping and applies an appropriate amount of current to increase/decrease braking. However, they do require the operator to set/adjust the baseline current.
I suspect they were talking about if the brake controller is communicating with the trailer brakes. My controller needs to be prompted to talk to the disc instead of drum setting; if it goes to drum setting the brakes come on every 10 or 15 seconds and is most annoying when you're driving. Maybe that's all automatic with new vehicles now and they automatically know you are driving disc brakes with activator over hydraulic.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote