Old 02-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #29
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
A lot of this is just personal preference -- and budget! I just moved from a terrific 2012 QX56 to a 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie CC with a 6.7L Cummins. The QX had 440 pounds of torque and pulled great...the Ram has 840. My major reason for the change was "hauling space" -- the truck afforded me space for my two basset hounds in the back seat (which folds up and it's flat back there), and a bed to haul generators and all the other gear. It also allowed me to add a 37 gallon auxiliary diesel tank...which gives me better than 1,000 mile range when towing without having to fill-up. The exhaust brake also saves a lot of stress on trailer brakes. I will be doing some mountain travel (US and Canada), and know that the margin of safety of my new truck will make a happy camper!

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
In my experience the Dodge Cummins diesels are the only one that is worth anything, and still I would stick with gas for the sake of reliability, downtime, and cost of repairs and maintenance.

When a person puts a pen to paper with regard to diesel pickup trucks, an objective eye will tell you diesels ain't worth it.

Besides all of this, my little Chevy half ton with a 5.3 gas pulls my 6,500 lb 31 footer no problem as fast as I want to go.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #31
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Guess it depends on how you define "worth it." In my case...and not speaking for anyone else, it was and I have no regrets.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Well, I will put it this way, I own two Duramax trucks, a Ford Powerstroke, and a couple of Dodge cummins, my Ford and Chevy gas trucks have proved more cost effective and trouble free.

I will have to say that of the three, the Dodge Cummins are head and shoulders above their competition.

If I wasn't sour on diesel pickup trucks, a Dodge would be my only choice of the three period.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Can't argue that the Dodge Cummins powertrain isn't good, but the rest of the truck is a POS.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Like most things, opinions vary. I have a Silverado Diesel that will be in next week and I'm trading an 05 Silverado gasser that I love. I pull a 30' Classic and in mountains the 5.3 gasser just doesn't have quite enough to get it done and going through Smokey Mtns National Park it didn't like the 25' we had a few years ago. As far as brand, I like the Silverado interior better and with the proven reliability of the Duramax, I wanted to stay with Chevy. I believe both Ram and Ford are equally as good and I have friends that have both. Interestingly, they both have 5Ws and rarely tow them on the road whereas I towing some type of trailer in different parts of the SE and to Nebraska at least once a year. I started to go with the new 1500 6.2L but the premium gas requirement and payload drove me to a 3/4 ton for the long term. Trucks are like they used to say "different strokes for different folks".
Old 02-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
I don't care what everyone else drives. I love my Cummins powered Dodge and it is hardly a POS. Just because you don't like a vehicle doesn't mean it is a POS.
Grow up.
Hickory
Old 02-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I guess in all honesty I am a little put out with Ford and Chevy diesels as of late, in retrospect, I will admit that the Dodge Cummins trucks have been pretty reliable. I revise my earlier comments to reflect this fact.

Still, I despise both the Ford and Chevy post 07 emission diesels, in my view premium price for a substandard product just sucks.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Something I haven't seen too much attention to in the diesel versus gas discussion: Heat, and how many hours you end up towing uphill reving in low gear watching your transmission temps raise and the smell of burnt transmission fluid with a gasser, versus accelerating up and over same hill with a diesel. But I'm of the few here that can't go put out cash for something off the lot, have to make do with those "well broke in" models. You do get to sit and take in the scenery a whole lot more waiting for the tran temp to come back under max, and get to make a lot of new close friends with nice gestures following you up the hill.:ar row:

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:28 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Agree with NevadaGeo, a good diesel (Cummings or Mercedes IMHO) will take you over the hills without all the worry or drama. Add a brake and the downhills are likewise. The monster torque comes in so low that downshifts are greatly reduced and they simply have trans that are matched to the task (exceptions by model and year). Unless I'm pulling my open featherlite trailer with a small car on it a diesel vehicle will always be in front of my load, no exceptions.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Dropped my 6.0L Powerstroke off for diagnosis Friday...blowing coolant out the recovery bottle cap. Sigh. The diesel was definitely a bad purchase for us...but I think it has more to do with this particular engine than diesels in general.

I ran some numbers, based on current prices and estimated oil change costs, fuel filter costs, and air filter costs (most costs were based on the prices for the 6.0L vs. the gas engine Ford offered at the same time; the fuel prices were whatever they happened to be at one particular gas station I usually use for diesel nearby; I assumed 11 mpg while towing for the diesel, which is about what we get, and 8 mpg for the gasser). Per towing mile, the diesel came out ahead - even with the more expensive fuel, a diesel is cheaper to tow with, per mile. I want to say it was 35 cents vs. 40 cents per mile, but I'd have to look again to be sure.

However, if you factor in the cost of the engine, using the assumption that a new one is $8000+ more than the gas engine, it would take 377,000 towing miles to break even at current fuel prices. The situation is much better if you get it used, of course - if the engine only costs you $2500 extra, then you might break even in less than 100,000 miles (I'm pulling that number from memory).

That's strictly the numbers. I think the gas engine would handle our trailer just fine, but I'd probably notice the difference when we hit some hills, which we usually do on trips - going north or west of here gets hilly before long. I'm pretty confident my wife still wants the diesel. The extra quirks of the diesel are starting to get old to me, but that might be partly due to the headaches we're having with ours. If it were running well without a little black cloud overhead, I probably wouldn't mind the extra quirks of the diesel.

I think my wife would've driven the Dodge 2500 with diesel home from the auto show Friday, if she could've. We both liked it a lot. Ford and GM would work as well, but the Dodge's features inside were perfect for us.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Skater, I think you're a bit low on the gas mileage. At least today's engines.....I get, pretty consistently 9 - 9.5mpg while towing and a loaded truck. AS=9000lbs and about 600lbs in the bed. This has been whether I was using a 5.3, a 6.0 or a 6.2 litre.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Skater, I think you're a bit low on the gas mileage. At least today's engines.....I get, pretty consistently 9 - 9.5mpg while towing and a loaded truck. AS=9000lbs and about 600lbs in the bed. This has been whether I was using a 5.3, a 6.0 or a 6.2 litre.
x2.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Fair enough, I can plug that in and see what it does to the numbers. It'll definitely pull them closer, but I'm guessing the diesel will still be cheaper per-mile. I was kind of guessing, based on what people were reporting in a Ford-trucks.com poll, but it was integers only - 7, 8, 9, 10, etc. 8 was the most popular so I used that. Probably SOB haulers.

Of course, these numbers don't even match my own situation - everyone pays different prices for fuel, everyone pays a different price for their truck, and so on. So at best it's a general conclusion, and the phrase "your mileage may vary" has never been more correct. And, especially when you buy used, it's REALLY hard to guess how much extra the diesel engine cost - rarely would the dealer have an equivalent truck sitting side-by-side with the other engine.

We probably should split this discussion into a different thread.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote