Old 12-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Thank you. Unless I run into a pile of cash and can't think of anything else to with it, I am definitely planning on keeping the E4OD that I have, try to make it last as long as possible, and replace it with a bullet proof E4OD if/when the time comes. Seems like I have heard of a shop somewhere in or near NW Arkansas that puts together a very good E4OD. I need to do some research again to remind myself of where that shop is. Mountain Home, AR, maybe??

I put a Jasper reman E4OD in my B190 and never regretted it. They beef up the parts that usually fail. It was some of the best money I ever spent on that van.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #58
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
The dealer claimed they could not even hear the noise, and apparently they did not do anything past that, just sent it home. The car is out of warranty, so the sales dept had nothing to do with it. We have not been happy with the Ford service department at either of the three local dealers.
We have been having a bit of run with that lately too... I am not sure what is getting into the dealer service departments. I would start looking for a trusted independent.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Im a believer that modern american transmissions are junk. Americans engineer for quanity not quality, i see all the time.

When it comes time to replace my 04 e150 window van. Im going to buy a 68-78 chevy 3/4 ton pickup, granny gear low 4spd manual trans, gear vender vender over drive box.

Kiss keep it simple stupid

My next truck is going to based on it being cool, mechanically dependable, simple to work on. This isnt being purchased on everyday use though. I have a company truck for that and a motorcycle for everyday gas mileage.

If you drive 12k miles a year avg. then a jump in a modern truck from 12 mpg to 17 mpg @ 3.49 a gallon will give you a savings of 1030.00 in gas. But if you avg 600.00 in repairs plus down time and all expenses with being down. Your not saving any money. Just thinking out loud.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #60
did
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Apple Valley , California
My $.02 worth

Purchased a 2014 Flex with all the bells and whistles. In less than 1500 miles (that's hundreds, folks) the trans began leaking, one of the DVD screens would not shut off, the memory seat developed a mind of its own, and the auto door locks would not operate one of the rear doors. Three trips to the dealer resulted in the lock problem being fixed but the trans still leaked, seat wouldn't respond and the DVD screen was finally off......their solution was to disconnect it! Fortunately, I play golf with the dealership owner, so he took the vehicle back and absorbed the costs. Always had Ford's and probably will again, but now have a Tundra in the garage. On a side note, I did not buy the Flex as a TV.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #61

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We are doing a lot of number crunching, how much we owe, how much it's worth, how much something else will cost, and the hard to put a number on fact that the Flex just looks a whole lot cooler than a mini-van. There's also the possibility that I feel more distrustful because I have read so many negative things online, but of course few people go online to praise something, they mostly go post when something is wrong. Tough to know what to do.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
We are doing a lot of number crunching, how much we owe, how much it's worth, how much something else will cost, and the hard to put a number on fact that the Flex just looks a whole lot cooler than a mini-van. There's also the possibility that I feel more distrustful because I have read so many negative things online, but of course few people go online to praise something, they mostly go post when something is wrong. Tough to know what to do.
Hi, look up anything on the internet and it will be filled with bad things, not just your Flex. I just joined the F-150 Ecoboost forum and so far I have only read complaints. Getting rid of your Flex might be just jumping out of the pot into the frying pan. [unless you plan on buying new] We had good luck buying two used vehicles but they were: (1.) Three years old, with less than 17,000 miles, and with a certified factory extended warranty. (2.) One and a half years old, with about 15,000 miles, and an existing factory warranty.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Steph,
I agree the Flex is a good looking vehicle. My neighbor has one and I look at it often, thinking it would look good pulling our Caravel. I like Ford vehicles, maybe it is partly because of their previous relationship with Mazda that I like them. As you know I have two Miatas. I have also owned a Mazda B2200 pickup and a Ford Ranger pickup. We bought our '03 F150 used to replace the Ranger several years ago. When I bought the F150, I was somewhat concerned that it would not be as reliable as the old ranger was. The only thing the ranger needed in the years that I owned it was a heater core. Everything else was routine maintenance. As it has turned out the F150 is just as reliable. It has the stubborn spark plugs that had to be replaced and I just replaced one coil pack. Other than that it has been trouble free with 120k on the clock. I do a lot of routine work myself, changing brake pads, oil changes etc. When any of my vehicles have to go to the shop I stay far away from dealerships! For the Miatas I use a mechanic that specializes in Miatas and other Japanese cars. For the truck I use a neighborhood mechanic that has been doing work for years for all types of vehicles. If they can't fix it they are great at recommending someone who can. If it runs over their estimate, they will call first and ask if I want to continue the work.

Our F150 is the last year of the old body style. That is part of my philosophy in buying used, is to by a model that has been out for a few years. I really like the newer style trucks, but the newer ones have even more electronics that can cause problems. I hope you get some resolution about your Flex. Try and independent shop before you trade it back in. Find somebody that specializes in transmission work, somebody that loves to do that and won't charge a fortune. They are out there, you just have to ask around and find the right mechanic. If all else fails trade the Flex for an F150 Supercrew.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #64

1968 17' Caravel
lol, we're trying to downsize here! If I could talk my hubby into it I would probably go back to another E150 van, just because they are primarily made for work, and so I suspect they really are made to take a beating. But it's nice to have double the gas mileage, and really our vehicle just hauls us and the dogs around 90% of the time, so we don't need anything heavy duty. The Flex does tow the Caravel very nicely! I was worried about going to a smaller vehicle (smaller than the van, anyway) but it is completely non-eventful. If anything it is much nicer just because the Flex is much nicer - quieter, smoother, just all around more relaxing to drive.

Buying the first year Flex was probably a mistake. I think we'll go ahead and fix what needs to be fixed and keep using it, because it does do a good job at what we need it for. IF things would stop breaking!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mineral Bluff , Georgia
Silly question, but...

...before I just start tugging...

...is there a trick to getting the upper engine cover off?

On a related note, what's a good source for a Service Manual?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #66
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Have you checked all of the TSB's that have been put out on the Ford Flex? Unfortunately, most car dealerships will not believe there is an issue with a vehicle unless there is a technical service bulletin, a computer code, or an obvious means to replicate said problem.

Hell, I had a long ongoing battle with my dealership that was overfilling my F150 with oil because it specifies that it holds 6 qts. Well guess what, it doesn't drain all 6 qts and the residual oil left in the engine will bring it up to 6.5 qts. This took months of arguing with them before they were able to accept the fact and now only add 5.5 qts. to an ecoboost engine.

Anyway, you may be stuck with the dealership if it is a warranty issue. Ford customer service is useless. It takes persistence to get things done sometimes, ...don't give up unless you are ready to trade it in on something else.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #67

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB View Post
Silly question, but...

I haven't tried yet. But you might want to visit Ford Flex - 2009-2013 Flex Forum Photos Specs and more The Forums there are fairly active. You might get an answer before the day is out.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #68
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB View Post
Silly question, but...

Most of the top covers have a few bolts holding them on. Typcially they are on the "sides" of the engine. If you have a transverse mount they may be on the front and back. I know the ones on the F150/250/350 are on either side.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Some covers are made to just lift up. They are held in place by pins with shoulders and snap down into a rubber grommet.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 12-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #70

1968 17' Caravel
After much discussion (and listening to that tranny noise), we are going to trade in the Flex. I think we will be tow-vehicle-less for a while, and instead will get a regular family car, probably something newer with a warranty that my husband can use for driving to work. Then next year we can look for an older Honda Odyssey in excellent condition to pick up to be mainly a tow vehicle.