Old 12-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Sounds like bad luck Stef. Sorry to hear.

BTW, I have the consumers report mag in front of me. They have a "recommended" stamp of approval on the Flex although their used car verdict shows below average reliability. Also note it gets high marks for engine, drivetrain, and electrical. That is goodness. Brakes, body trim, audio system, and trans minor get a below average rating. Not bad overall and as good as many of the imports.

We bought our G35 from the Infiniti dealer and it was back to the shop a half dozen times the first year. One was a recall with the gas tank issue. All covered under the warranty. Luckily the problems settle down and it has been a great car for the 10 years we have owned it. Used car buying is a crap shoot for sure.

It is interesting that the trailer towing has caused no ill effects. The car did need a tie rod end and a wheel bearing but not a big deal for a 13 years old car with 250,000klm's on it.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
[QUOTE=Stefrobrts;1552656]Oh, and the tranny grinding noise which was fixed with a transmission fluid change. QUOTE]

Hi, lock up type torque converters can slip, chatter, or shutter when the trans fluid is old and going bad. A proper trans service will fix this if caught in time otherwise the torque converter will need to be replaced. Trans fluids have friction qualities so the correct fluid for your trans is necessary. I personally have mine done every 30,000 miles.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think from now on when I get a used car, a fluid change will be my first priority!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Sometimes you just get unlucky with cars...There are good Yugo's and bad Toyota's in the world.
Sorry to see you having troubles.
Bruce
Old 12-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Sometimes you just get unlucky with cars...There are good Yugo's and bad Toyota's in the world.
Sorry to see you having troubles.
Bruce
There are less of each in the world, though.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
There are less of each in the world, though.
I actually had a Yugo once ...it was a fun little car to drive! Not a picture of reliability as I remember.
Bruce
Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I know, sometimes you get unlucky. The question is when do you cut & run, and when do you stick it out?! And I really like the style of the Flex, I really wanted to love it. But now it's become the running joke around the house, and the reliable car appears to be our 200k mile Miata!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We were having miserable luck with our F-250 - thousands and thousands of dollars in repairs with no end in sight. We did the math and realized we could afford a new truck payment for as much as we were putting into repairs on ours (we still owed on it, too). Also, since we primarily use it for towing our Airstream, the odds were that a major failure would happen on vacation. We took the plunge. Sometimes you just have to cut bait, admit you made a mistake, and move on. We're much happier with our Ram and we plan to keep it forever.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Buying used has one advantage. At least you can research the problem history on a used model. The transmission on my $7000 Excursion made a funny noise and it was cured by a fluid change which I did myself.

Perry
Old 12-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #24
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Sometimes you just have to cut bait, admit you made a mistake, and move on. We're much happier with our Ram and we plan to keep it forever.
You might want to keep tabs on the long term maintainance cost associated with the 6.7 Cummins. Along with many other diesel trucks, lots of problems with EGR systems and particulate filtration systems.
IMHO the maintenance costs to service modern 07+ diesels far outway the extra cost of gas of a gasser. Diesels use to be bulletproof simple, but now are far more complicated than a gas equivalent.
One tip....fill up with the best quality diesel you can find, so it will burn easier without any crap to clog up the exhaust cleaning systems.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #25
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I plan on babying my '95 PowerStroke hoping it will last as long as I need it. Only has 106K miles on it. Regular oil changes, a bypass oil filter to super-clean the oil, and trans fluid changes every 30K miles should boost the odds of it lasting a long time. (All done by me) Adding to that the fact that I won't abuse it trying to do more than it was designed to do will also be a key. The 7.3L PowerStroke engine is a great engine. The E4OD transmission can be an issue, but seems to do well within its limits. I'm sure I could destroy it if I tried, just like anything else.

(Also added the largest non-fan-cooled transmission fluid cooler that I could find that will help keep the tranny healthy.)
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Starting to feel a little bummed about my 2011 Jeep GC. In the last 3 months it has had 3 critical recalls. Today the ABS control box went out. Cost to repair $750.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I remember the days when you could open the hood on most cars and virtually every truck and see the ground on each side of the engine.
Gone are those days of a simpler time.
I have a friend who's son has a Ford truck. Paid $1,900 to have the spark plugs changed. The cab had to be moved out of the way to access the plugs.
I doubt that you will find a vehicle built in the last 10 years that will still be around 30 years from now. Not many will be around in 15 years. If they are. What are the chances of finding replacement parts for all of the electronic devices?
But what a world of difference in the mileage, horsepower, handling and creature comforts in these new trucks. Not to mention the safety devices.
Does anyone remember the solid steel dash boards? Then the padded steel dash. Now most of it is plastic.
I own three trucks today. One is a 1946 Dodge; one is a 1985 Toyota; the other is an '08 Tundra.
I have owned the '46 Dodge since 1969. My first truck. Talk about something you had to drive to keep it between the white lines. Today it has 4WD and front disk brakes. But to travel any distance with it. Is brutal. No AC, no power steering. The defrosters and wipers leave a LOT to be desired. And forget about staying warm in the winter months.
But it is still on the road today.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 12-12-2014, 04:59 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I remember the days when you could open the hood on most cars and virtually every truck and see the ground on each side of the engine.
Gone are those days of a simpler time.
I have a friend who's son has a Ford truck. Paid $1,900 to have the spark plugs changed. The cab had to be moved out of the way to access the plugs.
I doubt that you will find a vehicle built in the last 10 years that will still be around 30 years from now. Not many will be around in 15 years. If they are. What are the chances of finding replacement parts for all of the electronic devices?
But what a world of difference in the mileage, horsepower, handling and creature comforts in these new trucks. Not to mention the safety devices.
Does anyone remember the solid steel dash boards? Then the padded steel dash. Now most of it is plastic.
I own three trucks today. One is a 1946 Dodge; one is a 1985 Toyota; the other is an '08 Tundra.
I have owned the '46 Dodge since 1969. My first truck. Talk about something you had to drive to keep it between the white lines. Today it has 4WD and front disk brakes. But to travel any distance with it. Is brutal. No AC, no power steering. The defrosters and wipers leave a LOT to be desired. And forget about staying warm in the winter months.
But it is still on the road today.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Wow,
I can't tell you how many times in my 35 years of working in automobile repair
I have heard these sentiments echoed...I even find slip into this mode myself sometimes, on a bad day!

I believe that in general, cars and trucks are far better designed and built than in any time in our lives. Between safety enhancements, drivability improvements, advances in ergonomics and material science these vehicles so far out perform their ancestors it is amazing!

Remember the days of 10,000 mile spark plug replacement? The cost of 10 spark plug replacements would add up to more than that expensive sounding $1900! How about the days when engines or entire cars had to be rebuilt after 100,000 miles? Remember wondering if he car would start on a cold wet day?

It is not that I hate old technology. I miss some of the old days too... The days of actually being able to have impact on the way a car runs? The simplicity of the old systems to diagnose? As said, being able to see things under the hood? All this and more are things I miss when I am waxing in nostalgia...

When I want to get somewhere? When I want to be comfortable? When I want not to smell like grease and gasoline? I go modern!

When I had to replace the plugs in my own 2010 F-150 with the 5.4 it was less than an hour of easy light work. Yes my engine is the one with the redesigned cylinder heads so the plugs no longer stick in the heads. It is also the last of the breed in the F-150's.

I see nothing about my truck that would prevent it from existing in 30 years.. I hope that if I am still here, I get to see one at an antique car show 30 years from now. I will not still want one though because the state of the art will hopefully have come so far that it will look like the antique it is!

Bruce

Least anyone label me a hater of all things old, here is a picture of our 1972 Fiat 500L that we drove three hours round trip to pick up our Thanksgiving turkey a few weeks ago... Believe me I get it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	228431