Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I just can't imagine towing my 27 Classic with anything less than the F250. Especially when I am up in the mountains and on curvy roads. Just sayin. Absolutely get the tailgate step. It is worth every cent. Not sure what kind of brakes are on your classic but mine has hydraulics and Ford says not to use their brake controller with the hydraulics. Cheers.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch
I just can't imagine towing my 27 Classic with anything less than the F250. Especially when I am up in the mountains and on curvy roads. Just sayin. Absolutely get the tailgate step. It is worth every cent. Not sure what kind of brakes are on your classic but mine has hydraulics and Ford says not to use their brake controller with the hydraulics. Cheers.
I think that was true for the Fords the first year they had ITBC but not for the last couple of years.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #43
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
GAWR is the number that matters. Most any full size truck can pull the 34' AS weight.
Add up your passenger weight(400# for 2 easily), a tank of fuel(200+#), the wood you bring with, generator, chairs, any water, satellite equipment, bikes, etc. 1000# in addition to the tongue weight can be reached very easily.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny

bob, if my mind was made up i wouldn't have bothered to post.

i'll drag out the bathroom scale tomorrow unless Northern Tools has a scale. i was "told" by the dealer that the tongue weights are 'actuals' done by the factory now. the scale will tell.

if i can borrow a truck i'll run it up to the scales. i know my 94 dakota would be slightly overloaded :P
The published weights on the brochures are actual for a base unit without any options. The weight posted on your coach (mine is on the closet door) is you coach actual weight before any dealer added stuff and of course your stuff.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #45
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There is an old thread about TW where one of the 31' A/S TT's (front kitchen?) may have had the greatest TW, followed by the slide model of the 34', and then late model 34's in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX

As a truck is the least desirable vehicle from the standpoint of road performance and safety....

I respectfully disagree, based upon my many years as a professional rescuer. as or more important than the vehicle itself are the skills, competence, and judgement of the driver.

Driver skill doesn't change vehicle stats for large groups. None of us are exceptions. A compromised vehicle is a compromised vehicle, or, Mario Andretti driving a truck still means it's a truck, not a Ferrari. The point was made that if one buys a truck, then it ought to be a suitable truck, not a half-measure. The worst of both worlds: poor performance solo or towing with no remediating advantage. Otherwise, another type of TV would be better.

Hopefully the EB engine will prove worthwhile solo, not just towing, over and above a Flex with the same motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX

So a non-truck SUV of the proper sort is just as good a choice, IMO, and more likely to have qualities while solo that make it superior to a 1/2T truck. A Ford Flex is an example.

as a matter of fact, we love our Flex! a great vehicle to drive! Ford rates it for a trailer at 4500 GVW and 450 TW. What it will really do is another discussion, but if you'd like to, ask Andrew T for his opinions. better than that, ask Andrew T for his actual experience.

He's posted it elsewhere. Why the example was given.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
We are close to placing an order for an Ecoboost also. Ford wasn't even on my radar, until I started reading about the Ecoboost.
Figured we'd get a Tundra, but comparing interiors, Ford wins, although it looses in the "reach over the side to the bed" dimension. I wish the FX came with interior other than black, so have to count that model out.

We were impressed with the power and acceleration. Have to take the testers and forums opinions as to tow ability and MPG. I realize there are doubts as to the technology (I also question if it could last as long as a Toyota), but I'll take the gamble, like I did in '71 on a Celica.

My dream purchase would be:
F150 Platinum, steel gray interior, with tailgate step and 3.55 limited slip. Don't want sunroof or nav. Add after market Bakflip G2 cover and Garmin nav.

We were very impressed with the Ford. We figure it's a way cheaper alternative than nice SUV. (doesn't stir my soul like a Cayenne S, but it's 1/2 the price!)
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
As dz mentioned a trip to the scales will tell the tale....

I don't have any idea of what the loaded for camping tongue weight of a 34' would be, but it's over 1100lbs,(un-hitched), for our 25' Classic.
I agree that payload,(rear axle rating), on the 150 would be the most important limiting factor.

Short bed=limited stuff storage, and you WILL be surprised at how quickly the Stream'n Stuff accumulates.

IMHO..."better to have more than you need than to need more than you have"....a TV with more payload would be a much better choice for the 34'.

Bob
Robert
Could you take a minute and breakdown / explain the #'s on your cay scale readout. I've read that "you need to go to the scales" on many occasions but I'm not sure what I would do with the data. Thanks so much for all your great advice and in site. You've taught me a lot in my first year of streamin!
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #48
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerardi View Post
Robert
Could you take a minute and breakdown / explain the #'s on your cay scale readout. I've read that "you need to go to the scales" on many occasions but I'm not sure what I would do with the data. Thanks so much for all your great advice and in site. You've taught me a lot in my first year of streamin!
You can have a look at an analysis of those scale numbers, here

Robert Cross will take you past the shorthand exchange we had, but the numbers as derived from a certified scale reading, and an analysis of "weight distribution" according to formula is the basic beginning of getting a WDH dialled in correctly.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #49
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink Kitty weights for dumbo's...

"Robert
Could you take a minute and breakdown / explain the #'s on your cay scale readout. I've read that "you need to go to the scales" on many occasions but I'm not sure what I would do with the data."

jgerardi,

Keeping it simple…which is the way my grey cells work.

1st ticket
The TV weight ticket, full fuel, two people, loaded as we would tow.(as close as possible).

2nd ticket
The hitched ticket with no WD bar tension. TV & AS loaded for two weeks of boondocking. You can see just how much weight has been taken off the steering axle. 760lbs.

3rd ticket
With WD bars tensioned for towing. All but 100lbs has been returned to the TV steering axle. TV and trailer are LEVEL, which for me is the most important goal.
POI…our TV rear axle rating is 5500lbs.

Now a point that others may not have taken into consideration. AS has and still does equip some of their trailers with under rated axles.
Our Classic is equipped with two 3500lb axles. 7000lb total. The gross trailer weight is 7300lbs which means we are already 300lbs overweight if loaded to the max.
Notice that the 2nd ticket, no WD, shows the AS axles are 180lbs over.
The third ticket, WD set, shows that we are 340lbs overweight on the trailer axles.
Ideally I would like to be able to transfer that 100lbs, but remember, as you tension your bars a portion of that weight is moved to the trailer axles. Not something I'm comfortable doing.

Note…I have tensioned the bars and transferred that 100lbs which had no effect on steering stability and did drop the rear of the AS slightly. Remember a level rig is very important.

Hope my simplicity helps....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV wt..jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	147544   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT Weights.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	147545  

Name:	piseco_20lake_20camping_20july_202008_20009.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	147546  
Old 12-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The way I read the Airstream tag the gross weight is what is on the hitch and the axles. So with 7000 lbs axle rating and 700 lbs (hopefully plus) on the hitch you should be good on the axle loading. 6300 on the axle and 700 on the hitch with the bars unhooked.
I ran my 25' across the scales. My gross rating is 6800 and the axle rating is 6400. Hitched and on the road on a trip the trailer axle weighed 5800 one time and 5750 another time. I guess we do travel fairly light in the trailer since heavy stuff goes in the back of the truck. I pull with a 3/4 ton truck and do not try to transfer a lot of weight back to the front axle. I set the hitch up by measuring the lowering of the front and back fenders.
So I do not think it is really fair to say the Airstream axles are undersized for the rated load. We may wish that load is higher, but the axles are probably sized right for the rated load.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
Thanks again. You really are a great resource. Merry Christmas!
Joe Gerardi
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink Teto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
The way I read the Airstream tag the gross weight is what is on the hitch and the axles. So with 7000 lbs axle rating and 700 lbs (hopefully plus) on the hitch you should be good on the axle loading. 6300 on the axle and 700 on the hitch with the bars unhooked.
I ran my 25' across the scales. My gross rating is 6800 and the axle rating is 6400. Hitched and on the road on a trip the trailer axle weighed 5800 one time and 5750 another time. I guess we do travel fairly light in the trailer since heavy stuff goes in the back of the truck. I pull with a 3/4 ton truck and do not try to transfer a lot of weight back to the front axle. I set the hitch up by measuring the lowering of the front and back fenders.
So I do not think it is really fair to say the Airstream axles are undersized for the rated load. We may wish that load is higher, but the axles are probably sized right for the rated load.
Scales tell the tales.
Interpret that as you wish.
Even with the WD not tensioned the trailer axle is overloaded.
Note that AS has up-graded it's axles to match gvw on some of the newer models... why?

Bob
Old 12-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Scales tell the tales.
Interpret that as you wish.
Even with the WD not tensioned the trailer axle is overloaded.
Note that AS has up-graded it's axles to match gvw on some of the newer models... why?

Bob
Crikey, Bob! What you got in there? My 30" runs the scales with 7600# on the axles....but I have 5000# axles.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yeah, I misread your post, sorta. What is the Airstream GVW as posted on the side of the trailer? I thought that is what you were referring to when you mentioned gross weight, but you actually meant the actual weight on the wheels? I guess my older Airstream is lighter and perhaps closer in actual weight to the weights listed on the tag.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:47 AM   #55
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Crikey, Bob! What you got in there? My 30" runs the scales with 7600# on the axles....but I have 5000# axles.
Well...it's a Classic. loaded for 14 daze of boondocking. Not quite so heavy loaded for cross-country, but still over by couple hundred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Yeah, I misread your post, sorta. What is the Airstream GVW as posted on the side of the trailer? I thought that is what you were referring to when you mentioned gross weight, but you actually meant the actual weight on the wheels? I guess my older Airstream is lighter and perhaps closer in actual weight to the weights listed on the tag.
Vin plate lists GVW at 7300lbs with axle rating of 3500lbs each.

Bob
Old 12-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #56
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Well...it's a Classic. loaded for 14 daze of boondocking. Not quite so heavy loaded for cross-country, but still over by couple hundred.

Vin plate lists GVW at 7300lbs with axle rating of 3500lbs each.

Bob
Don't forget to include the tongue weight.... so your axles have just enough capacity by a few hundred pounds.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #57
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Don't forget to include the tongue weight.... so your axles have just enough capacity by a few hundred pounds.

- Bart
Bart,

Just enough...how do we get there?

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAT Weights.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	147628  
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I, also think the Ford Eco might be the ideal TV. There are also some limitations to be considered; with a 25 ft being one of them. The other would be the history of this engine; has it been time tested as a TV? Yes, it has been in cars, but NOT towing. For a TV for the larger rigs, why don't Ford have a 5.4 turbo charged?
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #59
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Bart,

Just enough...how do we get there?

Bob
What I meant was that tongue weight + axle capacity > GVW.... how much you want to overload things is up to you .

Personally, if I have extra weight to schlep I get it into the truck if I possibly can... we have air lifts on the truck, which makes tuning things easy. The frame and suspension on the truck is a lot more confidence inspiring than the Airstream's , and with a 6000+ lb rear axle load rating on the truck, I don't worry about breaking stuff.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #60
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
I pretty much do the same Bart...when the boats up top the ob and most other equipment goes in the Burb.
Plus there is a portion of the TW that gets sent back to the trailer. I really feel that the Classic deserves two 4000lb axles, that way we wouldn't have to worry about how much we "wanted" to overload.
676lbs of ccc 'taint much

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC08051.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	147639  

Tags
f-150