Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Some people are GREAT drivers and they can drive almost any rattle-trap safely. Some people have close to a million miles on the road towing - and can tow safely in really really dangerous situations.

Most of us are average to good, on a good day. Have a headache or be in miserable traffic, or just have sore muscles from sitting too long - and our abilities are slightly compromised.

A very good woodcarver once told me "you are far more likely to cut yourself badly with a dull knife than with a sharp one." The reason? You have to use more FORCE with a dull blade and when it slips that force is not unlike a tsunami. I have chosen overkill for my tow vehicle. A 3/4 ton Silverado with a 25 FB. This tow vehicle would let me pull a 3 axle 34' Classic or PanAmerica (sidebar - that 30 serenity with recliners - drool)... but it's not as financially daunting to consider when I already have the tow vehicle.

I try to avoid doing stupid things - and I try to be as courteous and generous as I can be when driving, but OMG do I appreciate the massive brakes and the massive torque of the "mother truck's" diesel! It hasn't saved my life - yet. I for one believe it helps ME more than it might a truly expert and instinctive driver. Of course, I also will NOT answer my cell phone without pulling over!

Paula
Old 03-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KECM View Post
We towed our 1961 19 ft Shasta with our 1971 Bronco. I would not do it again. The camper steered the Bronco. We have done extensive work on the Bronco so it is fit to pull.
75 and earlier did have that really nasty bump-steer issue too, combined with drastically undersized shock absorbers in the front end.

I don't know which one had worse steering on it, my '67 Bronco or my '83 CJ-7.

-Hans
HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Some people are GREAT drivers and they can drive almost any rattle-trap safely. Some people have close to a million miles on the road towing - and can tow safely in really really dangerous situations.

Most of us are average to good, on a good day. Have a headache or be in miserable traffic, or just have sore muscles from sitting too long - and our abilities are slightly compromised.

A very good woodcarver once told me "you are far more likely to cut yourself badly with a dull knife than with a sharp one." The reason? You have to use more FORCE with a dull blade and when it slips that force is not unlike a tsunami. I have chosen overkill for my tow vehicle. A 3/4 ton Silverado with a 25 FB. This tow vehicle would let me pull a 3 axle 34' Classic or PanAmerica (sidebar - that 30 serenity with recliners - drool)... but it's not as financially daunting to consider when I already have the tow vehicle.

I try to avoid doing stupid things - and I try to be as courteous and generous as I can be when driving, but OMG do I appreciate the massive brakes and the massive torque of the "mother truck's" diesel! It hasn't saved my life - yet. I for one believe it helps ME more than it might a truly expert and instinctive driver. Of course, I also will NOT answer my cell phone without pulling over!

Paula
I couldn't agree with this more. I'm one of those people with well over a million loaded miles, probably closer to a million and a half at this point. The more miles I've logged over the years, the slower I drive and the more time I take. Along with having a well maintained, capable tow vehicle, the biggest piece of advice I can give anyone towing anything is to slow down, take your time, and concentrate on what you are doing. A little common sense goes a long way on the road.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by KECM
We towed our 1961 19 ft Shasta with our 1971 Bronco. I would not do it again. The camper steered the Bronco. We have done extensive work on the Bronco so it is fit to p

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubachris View Post
What would I have to do to get it were it needs to be ready to tow? Where can I get the parts?
Comparing a 1971 Bronco to a 1984 Bronco is an apples and oranges comparison. Two completely different vehicles with the same name.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have a 1996 Bronco and have towed some trailers, although not my 31' Classic. That being said, I added the Firestone air bags system and Bilstein shocks with great success. Made a whole new vehicle out of it.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote