Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #29
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I wanna toe with a teeny-weeny too.

Bob

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that I'd be towing with a teeny-weeny no matter what I was driving.

Ken

Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I like the new Jeep Laredo also, but probably with the 5.7L motor, but a new one will be pricey. As a used alternative, I would go after an 08 or newer Sequoia with the 5.7L motor (2wd or 4wd). It has the tow package and the 6 speed- great drive train. I would then go straight to Andy for any mods that he believes are necessary (I don't care how far he is away, he will do it right and it only needs to be set up once).

Dan

Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that I'd be towing with a teeny-weeny no matter what I was driving.

Ken
Wrong thread! Wrong thread!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Saint Joseph , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubachris View Post
I have an 84 Bronco that I love, the problem is that everyone I have talked to says it is unsafe to use as a towing vehicle. Right now I am saving to buy a 25 or 27 ft Eddie Bower, but I need to start planning for a new vehicle. My question is what to get. I like my Bronco because it is compact, and big. It is just my daughter and I so I don't need a suburban type vehicle. The only new vehicle I like is the new Grand Cherokee, but it is expensive. Is there any vehicles I am missing?

Thanks,
Chris
I composed a reply to your message last night, but, don't see it here. Anyway, I've got a 1976 Early Bronco with 302, c-4 auto, ford 9-inch rear end, Dana 44 front diff, mild RV camshaft, 500cfm Holley 2 barrel carb and high perf. aluminum radiator (i.e. bone stock except for the cam, carb and radiator). I've towed trailers heavier than a 25' AS with no problems. It's also been over several of the highest 4x4 passes in
Colorado on several occasions. It would tow my 25' Airstream just fine, but, the handling would be a scary/tricky because of the very short wheelbase, narrow tread and high CG of the Early Broncos. Yours is a lot heavier, longer, wider and generally more stable than the early models that were made until 77. If your Bronco is in good/safe condition for the highway, I don't see why it wouldn't do a great job with this trailer. If not, there are numerous aftermarket retailers that handle any part you may need to put it in top condition. The parts are also very reasonable in cost. In my opinion, all of the engines from the venerable 302 to the big blocks are capable of doing the job for you with a little tweaking (cam, carb, or better yet, fuel injection). Your truck probably has a Ford 9-inch pumpkin which is considered bullet-proof by many professional drag racers. In addition, this differential is very popular because it's very easy to remove the center section (gears) from the differential housing and replace with other ratios if needed. I believe it has either a c-4 or c-6 automatic which are both good truck transmissions. The 84 full size Broncos are sitting on basically the same chassis as the full size pickup so it's plenty beefy for your application. I would certainly check the owners manual for towing capacities before I got rid of my beloved Bronco if I were you.
Disclaimer: I've got a very bad case of Brocoitis so I'm probably not very objective on this matter.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
84 Bronco.....it's time, I think he's doing the correct research.

Bob
Agreed - time for new TV...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thibodaux , Louisiana
It isn't that it is old. In fact I like the fact that I can actually work on the vehicle. The thing is that the vehicle sways pretty bad to begin with, much less with a trailer. If I could upgrade the steering and suspension I would keep it. To be honest the only vehicle I like is the new Jeep 4 door Wrangler. Everything else is all right. Is it to much to ask for a little chrome on the vehicles?

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
tow vehicle

Here isthe physics of it.
You want the ball as close to the center transverse line of the rear axle. That is why the Ford and Chrystler 15 passenger vans are dangerous tow vehicles. GM added the length between the wheels.
Get the longest wheel base you can find. Thats why Suburbans made such good tow vehicles.
Long wheel base and the hitch ball reasonably close to the rear end.
Sway control necessary, no options.
Beginner
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubachris View Post
It isn't that it is old. In fact I like the fact that I can actually work on the vehicle. The thing is that the vehicle sways pretty bad to begin with, much less with a trailer. If I could upgrade the steering and suspension I would keep it. To be honest the only vehicle I like is the new Jeep 4 door Wrangler. Everything else is all right. Is it to much to ask for a little chrome on the vehicles?

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.
The tires are most likely the culprit, second come front end alignment.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Newberry Springs , California
Everyone khows that Broncos are made for towing 5th wheels!

I ran across this rig last November in Scotts Valley, CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco_5th_wheel.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	153261  
Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
West Point , Mississippi
We towed our 1961 19 ft Shasta with our 1971 Bronco. I would not do it again. The camper steered the Bronco. We have done extensive work on the Bronco so it is fit to pull.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thibodaux , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KECM View Post
We towed our 1961 19 ft Shasta with our 1971 Bronco. I would not do it again. The camper steered the Bronco. We have done extensive work on the Bronco so it is fit to pull.

What would I have to do to get it were it needs to be ready to tow? Where can I get the parts?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
As Rebee noted it's better to have more than you need....than need more than you have.

Bob
Well said! We loved our full-sized Broncos (not the Bronco II shown in the above pic). What a shame Ford decided to stop producing them.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Some people are GREAT drivers and they can drive almost any rattle-trap safely. Some people have close to a million miles on the road towing - and can tow safely in really really dangerous situations.

Most of us are average to good, on a good day. Have a headache or be in miserable traffic, or just have sore muscles from sitting too long - and our abilities are slightly compromised.

A very good woodcarver once told me "you are far more likely to cut yourself badly with a dull knife than with a sharp one." The reason? You have to use more FORCE with a dull blade and when it slips that force is not unlike a tsunami. I have chosen overkill for my tow vehicle. A 3/4 ton Silverado with a 25 FB. This tow vehicle would let me pull a 3 axle 34' Classic or PanAmerica (sidebar - that 30 serenity with recliners - drool)... but it's not as financially daunting to consider when I already have the tow vehicle.

I try to avoid doing stupid things - and I try to be as courteous and generous as I can be when driving, but OMG do I appreciate the massive brakes and the massive torque of the "mother truck's" diesel! It hasn't saved my life - yet. I for one believe it helps ME more than it might a truly expert and instinctive driver. Of course, I also will NOT answer my cell phone without pulling over!

Paula
Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KECM View Post
75 and earlier did have that really nasty bump-steer issue too, combined with drastically undersized shock absorbers in the front end.

I don't know which one had worse steering on it, my '67 Bronco or my '83 CJ-7.

-Hans