Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Towing puts a lot of strain on a vehicle, more than racing. It'll find all the weak spots where components and/or systems are old & tired. A thirty-year old SUV is not, IMO, the way to go.

A turbodiesel SUV is the TV to which to compare all others when starting from scratch. The default comparison. While a half-ton truck appears to be from a conventional starting point, an Airstream has the advantage of it's design over the SWB's.

Choose the TT first. Check weights. Consult CAN AM. The "best" TV (best for you) will make things enormously different; better.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
SUV as TV

For those who doubt the towing capabilities of shorter wheelbase vehicle should watch the Airstream produced video on You Tube titled Airstream Performance. BTW: The Porche Cayenne is the same body as the VW Touareg, but with 500 hp.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Interesting and impressive test but I would like to see done with more common TV trailer combinations.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
........ the original question was 84 Bronco, that said, lets all agree he's doing the rite thing by researching a compatible tow vehicle.

As a former user of a full size "short wheelbase" SUV.....never mind.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
For those who doubt the towing capabilities of shorter wheelbase vehicle should watch the Airstream produced video on You Tube titled Airstream Performance. BTW: The Porche Cayenne is the same body as the VW Touareg, but with 500 hp.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
........ the original question was 84 Bronco, that said, lets all agree he's doing the rite thing by researching a compatible tow vehicle.

Bob
Too late to get a consensus "on subject". Someone has already said "Oh, look at the kitty!" ( or if you're a dog fan "Squirrel!!!!").

Ken
Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
I think the reason not to tow with the Bronco is the short wheelbase- a longer wheelbase is better for directional stability when towing. We tow with an '08 Tundra, the base extra cab with a V6, towing our 2850 dry weigh '64. The thing has been pretty bullet proof with the exception of tires, but the current set is holding up well. Two great things for towing: one, you can choose gears manually, so you can drive in 4th or 5th. The other thing is the tight turning circle, it turns on a dime. We've had Fords, which had numerous stupid problems. We also have a Ridgeline which would be my tow vehicle of choice, but it had higher mileage on it so I set up the Tundra. The Ridgeline is much, much more comfortable and handles a lot better, and does just fine fully loaded. It also has a ladder frame and the body is very stiff. We have 100k on our 2006 with no problems, one brake reline and that's it. The one issue for me is that you can't select 4th gear, and I don't know if the Grade Logic transmission would compensate for towing by keeping it in 4th automatically. It automatically downshifts and holds the gear when necessary.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
The toyota powertrain warranty is only good for 60k,,, they must not believe in their trucks like GM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It's actually do-able, but...

We towed a 24' Trailer with an '85 Ford Bronco 351 with Tow package for more than 12,000 miles, including trip across US and back.. Plastic Roof lets inside get warm in Dakota's when air temps over 100 degrees, but short wheelbase was actually a rare benefit in manuevering and backing up into tight spaces..

I won't argue with folks who say an '84 ANYTHING is getting potentially tired and worn out, and prone to blow at usually troublesome times.. Weak links in full-size Bronco's are cooling and transmission...

That said, dealer who sold us Trailer literally declined to make sale unless we bought best anti-sway setup (short of Hensley..) we could.. Problem with Bronco's isn't just short WB, it is squirrelly (technical term) steering box using recirculating ball instead of rack and pinion. Consequence is that even when NOT towing, Bronco tended to wander and use ALL of the lane it was assigned.. Add in a heavy trailer, some crosswinds, and a double semi-trailer truck passing you, and you will be sawing at the wheel like a NASCAR driver after being bumped in a corner.. Solutions involve slowing down and watching mirrors to see trucks coming and anticipate bow wave and tail suck-in.. In Idaho, where triples are allowed on I-90, we just decided to stay behind a UPS Triple rather than risk a pass at 65...

If you're not going to do a lot of freeway driving fast, and need to conserve cash for a couple years, get a really good anti-sway setup and you could try it..

Final thought is that Dodge Durango is same vehicle as Jeep Grand Cherokee (but for body parts and interior trim) and it might be less expensive alternative.. Late model Chevy TahoeGMC Yukon or Ford Expedition would be improvements over Bronco, even though wheelbase only slightly longer, as they use rack and pinion steering and are more stable... In many places, Tahoe's and Expeditions are getting cheap as gas gets expensive..

ps And yes, we traded Bronco in after 4 years and bought a Suburban.. ess power, but more stable

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee
Touareg TDI. That's my dream TV. Not sure it'd tow a 25' though.
It will, and then some. Ask your friends at Can-Am. But it costs more than the Jeep.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
I emailed back and forth a couple of times with Andy and he seems to really know his stuff. Asking around, I've gotten a lot of recos for his work as well as people saying that he is very well-respected.

Sounds like he's the guy to listen to.

I have an '06 Subaru Tribeca and have gotten lots of very strong opinions from well-meaning people who are not towing experts. I plan on taking it to Andy even though it's a 7 hour drive from Chicago. I want the work done right.

Good luck!

-Alana
Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Problem with Bronco's isn't just short WB, it is squirrelly (technical term) steering box using recirculating ball instead of rack and pinion. Consequence is that even when NOT towing, Bronco tended to wander and use ALL of the lane it was assigned.. Add in a heavy trailer, some crosswinds, and a double semi-trailer truck passing you, and you will be sawing at the wheel like a NASCAR driver after being bumped in a corner..
Hi, I agree with Condoluminum; Working at Ford dealers for many years and I have driven lots of Broncos. They wander all over the road even without any worn out steering components. I would never recommend a Bronco for towing.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
BTW: The Porche Cayenne is the same body as the VW Touareg

Alana (Tows with a Tribeca.)
pxlchk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

I wanna toe with a teeny-weeny too.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote